Bridgeton Course Update Thread

RCF & other STL-area Clubs' News, Q & A, and Conversation

Bridgeton Course Update Thread

Postby mkane on Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:28 am

Here is the North Side Story:
We are in the process of trying to obtain an agreement with the City of Bridgeton to design and install a disc golf course "The Legacy at Carrollton Park" an incredibly suitable tract of land for disc golf. At this point disc golf legend "The Legend" Don Moellenbeck and Tim Finan have taken several days out of thier busy schedules to "volunteer" and layout 27 holes on this tract at no cost to anyone, but for the love of this game. Last Sunday we got together informally and ended up with about 10 baskets, you may have received a text from me inviting you to this event. The result was ....WOW.....and we wanted to hold a BYOB get together this Sunday. However at this time, we are advised that until we have developed our relationship with the City it would be prudent to hold off this Sunday until we have the blessing of all the stakeholders involved with this project. The last thing I would want to happen is to create an uncool vibe with the very people who need to be on board before we can move this project forward.
It is my hope that this project would move forward in phases:
Phase I would be to install 27 to 36 holes in this tract of land to complete a feasibility study on the land.
Phase II would be to modify the course to accomodate the city's needs which include a Walking Path, a Pavillion and Restroom facility and a Parking Lot.
Phase III would be to install concrete tee pads to complement the remaining holes (27).
Keep in mind that I have no say how this will go, but I will provide as much support as humanly possible to create a win-win situation for the City of Bridgeton and the St. Louis Disc Golf Club.
You can be assured that once we get the approval to hold this BYOB Tourney, we will notify all disc golfers.
mkane
Ace Poster

Re: Bridgeton Course Update Thread

Postby gflap on Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:13 am

Played this tract this past sat and the Legend and Tim have done an amazing set up of tees and 3 pin placements for 27 holes. This location is meant for disc golf. Please let Sir Flappington know if he can be of service in getting this project done. Also, keep me on the list for future BYOB events.
gflap
Birdie Poster

Postby irwinje on Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:20 pm

A couple things...
Mark, the text you sent actually shut my phone down. In the event that you are going to send a that type of text you should know if the poeople you're sending it to can receive them. When I get picture texts, on my old phone, it shuts down and continually delivers Error 67 messages. My phone has since been updated so I can now receive whatever you send without error, but thought you shouild know that I still have not seen your text.
- Has it been determined if the land is better for 18, 27 or 36 holes?
- Do we know how quickly we can expect something to happen (as far as being granted permission)
- I have a portable basket and would be happy to show up and play a temp course w/ temp baskets - let me know when
Time to get serious about having fun
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby REDARMY on Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:10 pm

irwinje wrote:- Has it been determined if the land is better for 18, 27 or 36 holes?

according to Don, he fully expects the 27 holes he laid out saturday to be trimmed down to 18 because:

we have to make space for parking,
we have to make space for restrooms/a pavillion
bridgeton wants to make space for a DOG PARK (WTF??)

the 27 he had laid out saturday had a great (slightly more open) endicott/jb-ish feel to it, but all signs point to that 27 being trimmed from what i gathered.

the x-factor is what to do with the property north of the layout we played, but still east of the highway, that that layout didn't touch. my guess is that is airport property and thus off-limits for now.
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby irwinje on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:05 pm

In my opinion, I think that we should go for a kick ass 18 then and wait until more land is available for the 27 or 36 somewhere else. This nice part is that funding for baskets, tee signs and the such will cost half as much
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby Green_hornet915 on Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:51 pm

my question is sniff sniff why didnt i get a text i feel left out :cry: just kidding. But when work starts i would like to know so i can help with any install digging holes pouring concrete building frames making tee signs WHATEVER it takes. i have tools and will travel. I live only miniutes from here off 370 fyi.

i am sure my number is in the file somewhere but just in case
314 606 6269
Phillip green
Green_hornet915
Bogey Poster

Postby Green_hornet915 on Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:56 pm

Not that my opinion matters but a short 27 over a world class 18 with all shots long and short tech and bombs
i would pick the 18 anyday. And wait for more land to become avaliable.
Green_hornet915
Bogey Poster

Postby STARFIRE on Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:42 am

I'm sure there's room for a high caliber 27 hole course. A parking lot shouldn't interfere that much.

We need as many holes as we can get. A 27 hole course would be unique and imagine a second 27 hole course in the future. To have 54 holes in one area would ensure this as being the "mecca."

I see oppurtunity and we should take advantage of it. Look at all the different course design options and make sure there aren't any other layouts that could fit more than 18.

The flow doesn't have to be perfect. I'd rather have 27 holes that make you walk a little extra than 18 with good flow.
RCF #34
JCS #7
SCC #43
SICG #12
PDGA #33428
STARFIRE
Ace Poster

Postby irwinje on Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:32 am

Based on how Unger went, I just want the club to approach this project a little more cautiously and try to do it right the first time. I think we rushed into Unger and we paid the price for it. Kinda like the old saying, measure twice and cut once to prevent yourself from making too many mistakes. I know that every course evolves with time, but lets try to cover as much as we can with the first draft so there isn't as much work to be done down the road.
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby rackne69 on Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:12 pm

I had heard that the Bridgeton course was gonna be possibly thirty six holes on the west side. is there any truth to that? :ugeek:
rackne69
Bogey Poster

Next

Return to Club Announcements & Discussion