player averages to designated tournament class

Got Tourney Questions? Want to talk about PDGA Pros or other Events? this is the spot...

Re: player averages to designated tournament class

Postby streeter on Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:08 pm

I just wanted to let everybody know that the post that I started this with, is not the way we will be finding the averages for players we will be using a completely different system that goes more on how you did compared to the average score of the round. The details are not all worked out yet on how placement will go but I will update when that is figured out.
streeter
Bogey Poster

Postby irwinje on Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:58 pm

A couple thoughts, baggers are baggers because they continue to show up at tournaments and play lower than their ability so they can win easily. The people that run tournaments and do the payouts know who these people are. When they go to sign up, just tell them you are moving them up to (X) division that they should be in because....

The following comments are based on local events, not PDGA sanctioned events.
- You have finished in the top 5 in the division you want to play more than 5 times this year, and it is time to give someone else a chance or
- You won first place in that division (more than once) and you should be move up.

A lot of people think that bagging only happens in the AM divisions, but it does not...

- I like having a Masters division, but agree that once you make the decision to play Masters, you are a "Master" and cannot go back to pro because there are more people and you think you'll get a better payout.
- Likewise, with Pros, once you play Pro you cannot back down to AM because Geoff or Nikko are in town.

The only way I can see that it would work is by taking average scores, based on par (over or under). You'd have to log 10 RCF events before allowing the club to seed you in a division. Over those 10 events your scores would be recoreded in a spreadsheet as a + or - in reference to par.
Then your divisions wouldn't be PRO, AM, REC, etc they would be ranges
Flight A: even to under par
Flight B: +1 - +10
Flight C: +11 - +20

Unfortunately, you'd have to log 10 RCF events before a healthy average could be determined, from there on, you would be put in whatever Flight you fall under until your average scores from teh next year allow you to move up or down.
Time to get serious about having fun
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby STARFIRE on Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:03 pm

REDARMY wrote:fantastic idea. :idea:

no novice specs?

There needs to be a Novice division, I agree. There's a reason why the PDGA introduced that division last year. Rec. should end at 20 over, beyond that is Novice.

One of the main things to making this system work is offering
every division at every club event. Several events I've been to only offered certain divisions. Sometimes not even Rec. was offered. New to tournament players are highly discouraged by this and choose not to participate.

I am glad that there will finally be a system in place. The JCS will most likely adopt the same system in the future.

Nice work, this is positive momentum for the growth of the club.
RCF #34
JCS #7
SCC #43
SICG #12
PDGA #33428
STARFIRE
Ace Poster

Postby notallama on Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:34 pm

If everyone had PDGA ratings...it would make the AMs division a lot easier to place.
notallama
Bogey Poster

Postby xlforlife on Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:48 pm

Well I would say since I played in only one club event this year won a couple in advaced last year and play advanced pdga I would play open. Most of the older club members know who should be where so maybe use this system for newer players. Or players who don't really know where they fall. But from my experiences the better the player I play the better I play. I think one too many individuals are more worried about winning than playing up and taking the defeat to a better class of player like a man
JESUS TAUGHT ME HOW TO PUTT

2011 TAG 6

C.A.B.#31
ANT#4 2009
ANT#2 2010

If you aint first your last
xlforlife
Par Poster

Postby xlforlife on Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:51 pm

Also my pdga rating is a 931 would that mean we use the same scale as pdga? I wouldn't cause int pdga is not local int. Adv pdga is more like open and int is more like advanced. I have played both for long enough now to know these things to be true

2011 TAG 6

C.A.B.#31
ANT#4 2009
ANT#2 2010

xlforlife
Par Poster

Postby STARFIRE on Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:03 pm

Exactly, locally I play Advanced but PDGA I play Intermediate. You can really see the difference in divisions. Some of those PDGA advanced players are phenomenal. They just haven't played consistently enough to get their rating into the Pro spectrum so they continue to play Adv.

I don't like the idea of changing division names, i.e. Flight A, etc. It should be Pro, Adv, Int, Rec & Novice eternally.

I hope that this sees the light of day.
RCF #34
JCS #7
SCC #43
SICG #12
PDGA #33428
STARFIRE
Ace Poster

Postby xlforlife on Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:44 pm

So when this does happen I hope people feelings don't get hurt. If they say play up then do it in the long run it will make you better in return you'll be better. That's the way I came up and it has also worked for everyone I play with. Witht hat I think this is a good idea and will work for the better of the club

2011 TAG 6

C.A.B.#31
ANT#4 2009
ANT#2 2010

xlforlife
Par Poster

Postby mkane on Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:03 am

Starting with the Turkey Toss we will begin this process and see how things work out.

The Open Division will be just that, one division, the pay out will be the top half.

The Am Division will be just that, after the first round you get flighted into the divisions, each division will pay the top third.

It is my hope that we can start here and either keep it this way, or as we get more rounds under our belt develop divisions.

If that materializes then the flights will be done for players who have enough rounds and the newer players who do not will flight into the divisions until they get enough rounds in as we are doing now.

This is just my general idea on how to move forward to make our tourney' competitive yet fun.

Lets move along and any feedback put on this thread, to identify issues so were can evaluate and tweek as we go.
mkane
Ace Poster

player averages to designated tournament class

Postby emptv on Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:38 am

Disc Up,
xlforlife wrote,
I think one too many individuals are more worried about winning than playing up and taking the defeat to a better class of player like a man

I have played with a whole lot of disc golfers and some disc golfers just cannot do that, basically they are women. :lol: Lets never forget about the fairer sex. As quite a few women will tell you, " you wish you threw like a girl."

Starfire wrote,
I don't like the idea of changing division names, i.e. Flight A, etc. It should be Pro, Adv, Int, Rec & Novice eternally.

I tend to agree, but I could see 1 division called the "F" Flight, with "F" standing for fun. :D
Keep it fun people, after all it is a just a "game" of disc golf for most people, not to many of us earn our living by doing this.

8-)
Fly long & prosper!
Bruce C.
The Traveling LAKERS
E-mail: TravelingLAKERS@hotmail.com
Lake Saint Louis, 63367
Cell # 314-606-3475
emptv
Ace Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Tourney Talk / Q & A