Tee Signs

(Unger Park DGC is permanently closed)

Tee Signs

Postby irwinje on Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:43 pm

Since our newest course is getting a lot of attention, and a lot of play. We are in need of tee signs that are more than temporary but less than permanent. The reason we are looking for something that is "less than permanent" is because the course is going to be played for a number of months and then re-evaluated this summer based on the success of the current layout.
At which time, we’ll move any tees that need to be adjusted, add additional pin placements and install more permanent tee pads. We’ve discussed concrete pads, but I’m thinking the chat pads that Collinsville uses for their “white” pads may enhance the natural feel the park already expresses.
In the same right, I am looking into getting tee signs made of wood as opposed to the ones we currently have at the rest of our courses.
I’ve got a lead on some really good outdoor, rot-resistant wood that we can get engraved with hole #, distance, overhead layout and arrows pointing to the next tee. So what does everyone think?
Poll Question
A.) Keep the course all natural
B.) Wood Tee Signs and Chat/Gravel Tee Pads
C.) Plastic Tee Signs and Concrete Pads just like the rest of our courses
D.) Wood Signs and Concrete Pads
E.) Plastic Signs and Chat/Gravel Pads

Or post other reasonable choices
Time to get serious about having fun
irwinje
Ace Poster

Re: Tee Signs

Postby dehaas on Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:30 pm

I haven't seen the course yet but if you're planning on re-evaluating it towards the end of the summer you might as well save the time and money for when you decide to make any changes. Wood signs would do well as a temporary solution and the gravel tees have held up pretty well out at collinsville, and would be pretty cost effective. I'm not sure what causes it, but some of the gravel tees we have are almost as firm as concrete, and others have started to get some ruts. Overall they're a lot better to throw from than nothing, and have more traction than what I figured. Long term wise I'd say put in concrete, at least on the tee sets that would get the most play. The wood signs might be worth keeping, the few courses I've played that had them looked nice.
dehaas
Ace Poster

Postby forehand on Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:13 pm

wooden tee signs are nice till the beavers get ahold of em'
TAG #1
forehand
Birdie Poster

Postby REDARMY on Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:11 am

a vote foor wood signs.

the plastic/metal ones don't integrate too well with the sorroundings (and they look cheap imo), and are easily vandalized.

pads? i'm sure gravel is cheaper, so why not just dig out tranches for/pound in a whatever feet x whatever feet area 4x4's, then fill in with gravel?

Option B i guess.

not doing signs of any sort (i assume that's what 'keep it natural' means?) would be a BIG mistake, in my opinion, if i'm interpreting that option correctly.
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby listen4chains on Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:16 am

CONCRETE PADS ALWAYS for TEE BOXES PLEASE.

TEE SIGNS, whatever way you do it, the correct distance to the pin and an accurate map to the pin are A MUST HAVE, and if it looks good, what a bonus.

So I pick C or D.
Last edited by listen4chains on Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is short, make the most of every opportunity you get to do the right thing, even when it would be easier to just say "Screw it, I don't care." Make a difference, one opportunity at a time. Smile!
listen4chains
Birdie Poster

Postby clanger on Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:01 pm

When the course is finally finalized there should be concrete pads, signs that match the rest of our courses, benches, trash cans, etc. Until then leave the pads the way they are and go heavy on the WHITE spray paint with lots of arrows for directions. Spray a hole number and the distance and even the par for the hole next to each pad. This should be good enough for everyone until we finalize the course. Lets not throw a bunch of money on a temp situation.
clanger
Par Poster

Postby Golfer X on Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:35 am

irwinje wrote:
Or post other reasonable choices

You just had to add reasonable, didn't you? Fine. Taking that proscription into account and eliminating my preferred option of pools of non-Newtonian fluid for pads (it would speed up the game) and candy cane and lollipop signs I gotta go with C.

If keeping the water on the course frozen year round is too much we could look into making it non-Newtonian thereby allowing bold rollers to boldly roll where no rollers have rolled before.

sassafrasing reasonable...
Golfer X
Par Poster

Postby rondisc on Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:39 pm

Nice X what an :idea:
"Such a long long time to be gone, and a short time to be there."
rondisc
Ace Poster

Postby halogen_17 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:09 pm

forehand wrote:wooden tee signs are nice till the beavers get ahold of em'

thats a very valid point! could a varmit fence be installed surrounding the base of the signs(ie. some kind of wire mesh)? also may i bring the attention to water rising? has anyone looked at the "beach" and the previous water lines on some of the trees in the area. It looks as if the water may rise and take over the course on a few holes if its a wet season, we played friday afternoon for the first time out here and its an awesome layout, very long and challenging, and i would love to make it out again in the near future but if 4-5 holes have water up to the baskets then im not sure if ill make the trip out anymore. just a thought!
halogen_17
Bogey Poster

Postby STARFIRE on Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:03 pm

How about Launch Pads?

http://www.disconcepts.com/LAUNCH%20PAD.htm

These might be too expensive but are rather interesting,

"No more greasey, muddy grass tees.
No more grotty bitumen (black top) tee strips.
No more large expensive concrete slabs
Virtual Security assured

Relatively inexpensive construction, maintenance free that allows itself to blend in with the environment, while giving protection to that very same environment."
http://www.discgolfaustralia.com.au/index_files/Page431.htm

Here's another company with their design the QuaBoing® Runway Disc Golf Tee Pad.
http://www.recmanagement.com/rmnews/0710.quabung.pr.pdf

Or trapezoidal shaped concrete tees...Same as our current concrete tees, just add an extra foot on each side of the back of the tee. Something unique, for a unique course.

As for tee signs....http://www.innovadiscs.com/coursedesign/ifosigns.html

Or the famous John Houck could help, these are some really nice tee signs, but I think no matter what we should use a metal post for our signs...I've heard bad stories about the beavers out at Unger...
http://www.houckdesign.com/tee_sign_gallery.html

Please don't get signs like this...http://www.discgolfassoc.com/discgolf-equipment/tee-signs/
RCF #34
JCS #7
SCC #43
SICG #12
PDGA #33428
STARFIRE
Ace Poster

Next

Return to Unger Park