New Tee Signs at StL Courses

RCF & other STL-area Clubs' News, Q & A, and Conversation

Re: New Tee Signs at StL Courses

Postby clane on Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:14 pm

If it is something that you would want to add, elevation could be done along the lines of a topographical map. Sioux is about the only place it is really pertinent information though, like you said.
Tag #204
clane
Par Poster

Postby mkane on Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:43 am

Is that a software program that you used to make the sign design at the top of this thread Jeff?
The reason I ask is the memorial in AZ has the courses broke down with a caddie book. Done up in somewhat the same graphics.
mkane
Ace Poster

Postby eupher61 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:12 pm

Jeff,
things like the sub distances probably aren't good, since the PDGA rules say no measuring devices aside from 10 meters for putts.

Elevation is good, but most don't know what to do with it anyway. It's sort of cool to know for bragging rights, and for pure statistal analysis. The old PDGA Course Evaluation project used elevation as part of that far-too-complex formula for ratings. The signs at Blue Valley in KC have elevation. 'course, on #1 there, the final elevation isn't nearly as low as the lowest point, and there are 3 humps in between.

steve
eupher61
Birdie Poster

Postby irwinje on Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:30 pm

Steve,
I believe that rule prohibits players from bringing a range finder and measuring for themselves. The rated distance, to clear a hazard for example would not be against any PDGA rule because the information is available to any player that reads the sign. Most of the PDGA rules are written with "broad brush strokes" to try and cover all the what-ifs that can come up. Again, as this information would be available to all participants, it would not be in violation of any PDGA rule.
As far as elevation, I'm trying to be careful to be as descriptive as possible while still keeping the signs aesthetically pleasing and somewhat clutter free. I'm also very big on continuity, so if I put it on one sign, I'd put it on every hole (for that course)
The idea has evolved somewhat since I started thinking about it and I also want to include a StL Co Parks Logo as well as directional guidance to get to the following hole.
Which hole would you like?

Mark,
I used a couple different programs to create these signs. It is not surprising that they would resemble other courses as they are relatively standard design programs that most graphics people would have.
Which hole would you like?
Jeff
Time to get serious about having fun
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby xlforlife on Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:57 pm

Is there anyway to reserve a sign on a certain course if so I would like to have 16 agt sioux and for the sponsorship could it say williams bros disc golf. If this is all well and good who can I give my money to and when is the appropriate time.

Tom Williams
JESUS TAUGHT ME HOW TO PUTT

2011 TAG 6

C.A.B.#31
ANT#4 2009
ANT#2 2010

If you aint first your last
xlforlife
Par Poster

Postby irwinje on Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:06 pm

Tom,
Hole 16 is still available. However, there seems to be some misunderstanding between the RCF and the St. Louis Parks Dept. Apparantly this idea had been tried before and the Parks Dept were opposed to sponsor logos in the park. I believe that Chris has an appointment to meet with the Parks Dept people in December.

From the sounds of it the issue would be sponsor logos. However individuals that choose to sponsor a hole would not be advertising anything so they would be allowed.
In the interest of professionalism and park aesthetic, I think the intent is for people to be listed as individuals or groups.
Examples
- Tom Williams
- Tom & Zach Williams
- the LAKERS
They will all be formatted the same for continuity throughout the course. I know this is a little more boring than some may want, but this isn't about being clever or funny, its about making our courses nicer.
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby jalbanese on Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:40 pm

Here's a thought....how about making the signs with changeable "name tags" that could be "bought" by club members for a fee. The club members could have their names on the signs of their favorite holes at their favorite courses. Member sponsored holes could, with enough members, pay the way to improving one hole at a time on every course in the area. Local leagues could pool their support and have "floating" sponsorships at various holes on their local course(s) and as each hole gets it's needed improvements completed, the efforts could be put towards the next and then the next and so on and so on. Starting on the upcoming new year, I'd be happy to put up $20 a month for a full year to have one "Albanese Family" sponsored tee sign at one local area course. Along with the money donated, I would even donate my time to projects that focus on making necessary improvements to the most neglected pads and pins. Thanks.
By the way, there's this new syndrome afflicting a lot of people out there. It's called OCDGPS or Obsessive, Compulsive Disc Golf Players Syndrome.
Last edited by jalbanese on Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jalbanese
Par Poster

Postby irwinje on Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:55 pm

I'm all for making improvements throughout all the courses, but lets not over complicate the tee sign thing. I'm hoping we can get direct individual sponsors for each hole and get nice tee signs. These are something that I always thought St. Louis needed and now, hopefully we can get them.
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby xlforlife on Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:40 pm

The tom and zach williams one works for me I think your right it wouldn't be buisness related. I think individuals names would work if that is the only way to go so when can I give you or the club the money
JESUS TAUGHT ME HOW TO PUTT

2011 TAG 6

C.A.B.#31
ANT#4 2009
ANT#2 2010

If you aint first your last
xlforlife
Par Poster

Previous

Return to Club Announcements & Discussion