One of the things that I wanted to accomplish with my tenure with the club was to provide new, more descriptive tee signs for our local courses (JB, Endi, CC & SP) since we have an agreement with StL County Parks for those 4 courses. This is still something that I want to accomplish and will undertake with the permission and financial backing of the club.
I will need a little help with this project, as I do not have GPS systems to measure distance from tee pad to pin placement. Once I have all the (correct) measurements, I will proceed with making tee signs for each hole. I've attached a sample here, and I'm open to other ideas to making these signs the best they can be.
Obviously, this upgrade would provide multiple benefits.
1) Updated distances, checked by technology
2) Ability to add additional holes/placements that have been added since the current signs were manufactured
3) Full color, geographic signage to help locals & out-of-towners find their way around unfamiliar territory
4) Making the courses in StL more elite when stacked up to other mid-western courses/cities
5) The capital expenditure (cost of the signs) will count against the amount the RCF is contracted to put back into the courses each year. In fact, if this is timed correctly (at the end of the year) it could be used to satisfy what we owe the Parks for 2010 and 2011
6) Potential bid for USDGC or World's
7) They look nicer and are more descriptive
Like benefits, negatives should also be addressed
1) Upfront cost (this is yet to be determined, but 72 signs are not going to be cheap)
2) Once the new signs are made the placements should stay the same for (at least) a few years
Well, here is the sample image I've put together for the RCF. Please reply to this thread if you like the idea/want to help and to let the RCF board know that this is something we, the general membership, wants!
UPDATE: New Draft w/ sponsorship, web address and logos