Disc golf in St. Charles County

RCF & other STL-area Clubs' News, Q & A, and Conversation

Disc golf in St. Charles County

Postby magic on Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:45 pm

For anyone who has been wanting another course in St. Charles County our best opportunity to make a good impression to those with the power to make it happen will be taking place on Sunday, July 25th.

The parks dept will be hosting “An afternoon in the park” at Quail Ridge to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the park opening which was the first in the St. Charles County system. It will be from 2-6 PM on July 25th. You can see a flyer with more information here http://parks.sccmo.org/parks/.

I have been asked to set up an exhibit for disc golf. There is room for about 3 short temp holes and I will have a putting basket set up as well. The parks dept would like to see some disc golfers show up to help promote the sport and teach people in attendance how to play. The more the better.

There will be many government, business and community leaders in attendance. A few of the people that I know will be there are Bettie Yahn-Kramer (Director of Parks and Recreation), Dennis deJong (Assistant Director) and Steve Ehlmann (County Executive). If we can make a good impression on these individuals it will go a long ways in getting us another course.

I have also been invited to attend a VIP Reception before this and will be doing as much as possible to promote disc golf while there.

So if you want to see another course in St. Charles County please take an hour or two out of your Sunday afternoon and come give me a hand. Be sure to bring a chair with you and some old discs you don’t use anymore to let people borrow while playing the temp holes. We will be set up between the lodge and the group picnic area. All I ask is that you wear any clothing with the RCF logo on it and unfortunately no alcohol.

I do know it certainly won’t help our cause if I am sitting up there on my own.
Last edited by magic on Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
magic
Ace Poster

Re: Disc golf in St. Charles County

Postby magic on Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:44 pm

Below is a link to an article in the Post Dispatch in regards to this event:

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/stcharles/article_72aff6c2-94f9-11df-9464-00127992bc8b.html
magic
Ace Poster

Postby magic on Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:25 am

Thanks to Tim Wiegard, Chris Horvath and Greg Kuehn for helping out with this. Lee Gibson also gave us a bunch of discs to give away.

It was kind of what I expected in that there weren't a ton of people there. Almost everyone with the parks department was in attendance though and we represented disc golf well. Many comments were made to myself and others that our exhibit had the most interest from those who attended.
Attachments
QR.jpg
QR.jpg (135.88 KiB) Viewed 791 times
magic
Ace Poster

Postby gottagothrow on Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:46 am

That is awesome Magic. Keep up the great work out there in SCC. Just wish it wasn't so far for me.
Thanks again to you and ALL who help improve DG everywhere.
DD
Remember, there is no disc.
http://stlouisdiscgolfclub.com/
Tag # 1 (in my imaginary world)
PDGA # 26478 rating 935
38.517136°N, 090.280311°W
gottagothrow
Birdie Poster

Postby STARFIRE on Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:40 pm

That's awesome! Good job running things out there at Quail. I can't wait to play those new placements next weekend.
RCF #34
JCS #7
SCC #43
SICG #12
PDGA #33428
STARFIRE
Ace Poster

Postby REDARMY on Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:14 am

andy, you obviously know how to get shit done, why don't you run for president?
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby Tuesday Terry on Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:00 am

REDARMY wrote:andy, you obviously know how to get shit done, why don't you run for president?

While I know that Andy does an awesome job at Quail Ridge, and I'm sure that he would make a fine President, I personally feel that he doesn't need the extra crap from some members of the organization as a whole. Andy has always been fair and impartial to anyone wanting to play in the leagues that he runs, which he runs rather well. Would I love to see him in office...yes. Would he deserve to be dumped on if he said/did something you don't agree with....absolutely not.

We really all have the same goals. To play this sport with as much enthusiasm as we can, promote the sport in order to get more people playing, and have as much fun as we can while doing it. Nobody can please everyone all the time but why criticize something/someone unless your willing to back it up, or at least post constructive criticizm? If something is wrong in your eyes, suggest ways of helping to address the issue. One voice will never be heard but, many voices saying the same things get noticed. If you want changes, start by helping at your home course, gain respect there, help make productive changes, and then help at other courses. rinse, lather, repeat. In the end, we have one thing in mind....banging some chains. Enough said.
You don't quit playing games because you get old.

You get old because you quit playing games.
RCF Tag #337
Tuesday Terry
Bogey Poster

Postby magic on Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:57 pm

Thank you Terry and very well said.
magic
Ace Poster

Postby REDARMY on Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:25 pm

Tuesday Terry wrote:
REDARMY wrote:andy, you obviously know how to get shit done, why don't you run for president?

While I know that Andy does an awesome job at Quail Ridge, and I'm sure that he would make a fine President, I personally feel that he doesn't need the extra crap from some members of the organization as a whole. Andy has always been fair and impartial to anyone wanting to play in the leagues that he runs, which he runs rather well. Would I love to see him in office...yes. Would he deserve to be dumped on if he said/did something you don't agree with....absolutely not.

We really all have the same goals. To play this sport with as much enthusiasm as we can, promote the sport in order to get more people playing, and have as much fun as we can while doing it. Nobody can please everyone all the time but why criticize something/someone unless your willing to back it up, or at least post constructive criticizm? If something is wrong in your eyes, suggest ways of helping to address the issue. One voice will never be heard but, many voices saying the same things get noticed. If you want changes, start by helping at your home course, gain respect there, help make productive changes, and then help at other courses. rinse, lather, repeat. In the end, we have one thing in mind....banging some chains. Enough said.

i'll just point you towards the elections thread as well.
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Return to Club Announcements & Discussion