2011 Board Elections

RCF & other STL-area Clubs' News, Q & A, and Conversation

Re: 2011 Board Elections

Postby REDARMY on Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:07 pm

Chris K wrote:It is time to think about the past year and what went right or wrong. The River City Flyers needs your help as volunteers to improve the disc golf scene in the St Louis Area. Do you want to get more involved in the direction of the club or on a specific course? Do you have an idea to raise money? The current board members are willing to repeat for 2011 but we need new blood on the board. Please post your thoughts and solutions and your willingness to help here.
The best way to make changes for the better is to step up and help out.

i'll be there to vote.
Last edited by REDARMY on Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby irwinje on Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:44 am

For What its Worth,
Unfortunately Chris, and the rest of the board, are volunteering to be hated by someone nearly everytime that you step foot on a course. There is always someone that has a difference of opinion and some of the less savory characters in our club will even stoop to levels so low it would make you sick. There have been arguments, fights, evil emails, even threatened lawsuits (that's right, law suits over disc golf).
But, my mother always said, "you can't fix stupid!"

I'll say this about the person that takes the position, it is a lot of work and the payback is not worth it. People seem to forget that these people are volunteers, so they don't get paid and they are constantly ridiculed by the "general public" for one thing or another. Again, you can't please everyone all the time, but you can try and do your best to do the right thing. Obviously, positions like this, allbeit small on a global level are subject to scandal and severe conflict of interest. This matters to some people, other just want to throw frisbees.

I guess the point is that nothing is perfect, or ever will be. No matter how well an event or club is managed you'll still have someone that is mad at your for one reason or another (no matter how selfish that sounds, just look at the 2009 Open) That event went nearly perfect, but I still had an angry little man getting in my face (after the tournament was over) because he didn't feel his inventory had fair market share. In business we call in supply and demand in the RCF we call that "unfair!" It sucks that the good volunteers are allowed to be run off by the club's biggest conflict of all. I'd love to get involved again and help make this a premier club in the Mid-West and US, but I've made it clear why this can never happen again in St. Louis.

If the club is interested, I'll volunteer to help the club with marketing & advertising in the graphic department. I'm happy to design new tee signs for all courses, (as long as they are procured from an independant company based on fair price and value) I'll volunteer to design tournament flyers and plaques but I will not be involved with the website management (other than loading tourney flyers to the site) and I will not waste my time arguing the definition of conflict of interest at club meetings every other week or running tournaments.
Time to get serious about having fun
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby discdoh on Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:02 am

Jeff,

We certainly would love to have your incredible skills back on board! The artwork that you provided during your stint was bar-none, bad-ass stuff. The profesional quality was something that I, personally, don't have the skills to replicate. Let's please get you back on board!

RedArmy...come on now. You want to run this gig? Maybe think before you type next time.

D'OH
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby gflap on Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:48 am

I will have to say that our past 2 presidents have both done an excellent job in their posts as volunteers. What a thankless job. Thank you to the 2 of you.
gflap
Birdie Poster

Postby REDARMY on Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:13 pm

discdoh wrote:Jeff,

We certainly would love to have your incredible skills back on board! The artwork that you provided during your stint was bar-none, bad-ass stuff. The profesional quality was something that I, personally, don't have the skills to replicate. Let's please get you back on board!

RedArmy...come on now. You want to run this gig? Maybe think before you type next time.

D'OH

if i had the time to greg, i would.

personally, chris is about the easiest person to get along with.

that's part of the problem.

professionally, he tries to please too many people, and never puts his foot down.

4 out of 5 people i met last year said jeff was a giant asshole, but things clicked when he was in charge and the volunteers sure as hell got treated a lot better.
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby irwinje on Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:27 am

REDARMY wrote:4 out of 5 people i met last year said jeff was a giant asshole.

There's the warm fuzzy feeling I've been missing since I tendered my resignation. That right there is a good enough reason not to ever be involved in this club. Maybe StL disc golfers are just spoiled brats and they expect everything for nothing. I know at least one big haired local pro that acted this way at every tournament I ran.
Let me lay this out there for the general public, not the volunteers, the players. Disc golf is a game and should always be fun & competitive. There will never be a situation that pleases everyone so when it is your turn to be upset, pissed off, etc don't complain, just thank the volunteers. If it is really that bad, then get involved and make the changes you wish to see. That's what I did until some P.O.S. threatened a spurious (fake) lawsuit if I didn't step down from the position and make room for someone that will give preferential treatment to a certain sponsor.
Most would just prefer to bitch though and make the lives of the people who do volunteer that much harder by complaining about everything.
To put things in perspective, you come out to a tournament and pay $20 to play all day. At the end of the day, you win cash or plastic (no matter what place you finish, 1st or last) you should be happy since you just got paid to play a fun game all day. You weren't at work or at home cutting the grass, pulling weeds, cleaning, etc. You got paid to play a game!
And, again, disc golf is not the NBA of NFL. We don't get shoe contracts or gold chains (though the way some people act you would think we are the highest paid "athletes" in all of sports). I mean, disc golf, as a whole has still not made it out from under the label of "wacky sports." Why would DGers expect to be treated like royalty around the course when the people we share the parks with, pedestrians, typically don't even know what we are doing?
Time to get serious about having fun
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby Chris K on Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:34 am

The RCF Board needs these positions filled.

Not returning are Vice President (Bob Waidmann), Treasurer (Steve Kleiber), Secretary (Dan Doke), At Large (Chris Lane).
The returning Board positions are President (Chris Kinsella), Secretary (Mary Beth Kinsella - interim), At Large (Greg Dohogne - Promotions) & At Large (Red Keenan - Merchandise).
The VP position would ideally be filled by someone who will be in charge of tournaments and Tournament Directors i.e Head TD.
The Treasurer would ideally be filled by someone who will track our income and expenses, produce reports and help keep us on budget.
The Secretary would ideally be someone who takes minutes of Board meetings, tracks projects, helps with data entry and assists the President.
The At Large position would ideally be filled by someone who will be in charge of the website and assists the VP.
If you would like to be on the Board, please post your intentions and reasons why people should vote for you.
All Board positions need teams to help with various tasks so if you would like to help the Board but not hold a position, please post here.
All Course Captains need people to help with tasks at the courses. Please post here which course you would like to help.
Any member in good standing may run for any of the Board positions, including the returning positions of President and At Large (2).
Chris K
Ace Poster

Postby Chris K on Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:42 am

Mary Beth has filled the Secretary position since Dan Doke stepped down months ago. However, she has no vote at meetings and simply takes minutes. To vote Mary Beth for the position of Secretary creates a potential conflict of interest and neither she nor I want to go there. Mary Beth has offered to record minutes for Board meetings but does not feel it is right to run the position of Secretary.
Chris K
Ace Poster

Postby emptv on Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:43 am

Disc Up,
If you need a "Minister of Propaganda", I can think of a few potential canadates. :P :roll:

8-)
Fly long & prosper!
Bruce C.
The Traveling LAKERS
E-mail: TravelingLAKERS@hotmail.com
Lake Saint Louis, 63367
Cell # 314-606-3475
emptv
Ace Poster

Postby REDARMY on Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:00 am

emptv wrote:Disc Up,
If you need a "Minister of Propaganda", I can think of a few potential canadates. :P :roll:

8-)

is **** stirrer/board traffic generator an appointed position? LOL

:D
REDARMY
Ace Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Club Announcements & Discussion