New 9 Hole Course at Unger

(Unger Park DGC is permanently closed)

New 9 Hole Course at Unger

Postby Chris K on Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:29 am

The course has been redesigned and is still a work in progress. It is a short technical course from the Red tees; a harder but not necessarily longer course from the White tees; a fun and tough course from the Blue tees but not what I would consider a Championship length disc golf course. We can play this course all year long. The back 9 requires more help to move it up the bank and away from the lake so it can be played more often. Call me if you are willing to help at Unger.

Hole 1 starts at the end of the parking lot. The course flows to the right following the park property. Old hole 1 is now hole 3. Red tee pads are marked with stakes and orange flags. All tee pads are painted. The Blue tees are often within 10 feet of the Red tees and make for a completely different visual.

Hole 1; Red - At the end of the parking lot. White - 50 feet back of the Red tee. Blue - Up by the pavilion on the walking path (parking lot is OB from the Gold tee only). There is a yellow rope on the right side of the fairway that designates OB. When you cross that rope you are in hole 2's fairway and OB. Bring your disc back inbounds where it crossed the line and place your mini up to 3 feet away from the rope. Add a penalty stroke to your score.

Hole 2; Red - Up the hill and looking down the fairway. White - 10 feet to the right of Red (the yellow OB rope starts on the tree to the right of the Blue tee; it is a Mando tree so you must stay left) (the rope is OB along the right side of hole 2's fairway). Bring your disc back inbounds where it crossed the line and place your mini up to 3 feet away from the rope. Add a penalty stroke to your score.

Hole 3; Red - On far side of tall grass. White - on walking path beyond old hole 1 tee. Blue - Up by the pavilion on the walking path near hole 1’s Blue tee.

Hole 4; Red - At property tree line. White - 50 feet back.

Hole 5; Red – Left tee box. White – Right tee box. No Blue tee box.

Hole 6; Red – Straight shot down fairway. White – At the turn 10 feet back. Blue – Between the twin pine trees 50 feet back. (Play to old hole 3’s basket).

Hole 7; Red – Straight up the fairway. White – 50 feet back. Blue – Old 8’s tee pad. (Basket is blind and on the left).

Hole 8; Red – Straight up the fairway. White – 20 feet back. No Blue tee box. (Basket is blind and to the right of old hole 3’s tee pad).

Hole 9; Red – Right side of fairway. White – 30 feet back. No Blue tee box...yet.

I need help with cleaning up the fairways and removing stumps. Come play the course and stay to help improve it.

Chris Kinsella
President
River City Flyers / St Louis Disc Golf Club
314-583-3340
visit www.stlouisdiscgolfclub.com
Owner
http://www.kinsellacars.com/
Chris K
Ace Poster

Re: New 9 Hole Course at Unger

Postby Chris K on Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:49 am

There has been some vandalism at Unger recently. Someone pried the locks and stole a tag (560) and disc that was on display in the kiosk. All of the flyers, new maps and other promotional materials are gone as well. The basket on hole 2 has been worked loose from it's foundation and was relatively easy to pull out of the ground. I unlocked it and brought the basket home until I can re-anchor the sleeve. The water is down so I'll be going by to move what I can to higher ground. Baskets 11, 12, 13, and 14 will be relocated to 15, 16, 17, and 18. Baskets 5, 6, 7, and 10 will stay in place until we have a place to put them in the redesigned back nine.
It seems that a back nine that flows around the lake will be quicker to install than cutting a course through the woods beside the parking lot. Dave Mac will help redesign the back nine up from the lake onto higher ground. It will still get flooded out at times but will be playable sooner and for longer periods.
The course still needs a lot of work to make it more user friendly. Please let me know if you are willing to help me complete this course. I am also looking for a Course Captain and Co-Captain for Unger Park to spearhead the improvements and maintenance of the course. It is more than I can handle to be a Course Captain and President simultaneously.
The folks at Luby Equipment (whose property backs up to holes 2 and 4) are concerned about people walking onto their property and vandalizing their equipment. Please respect their property line and do not trespass. The River City Flyers are good neighbors and I do not want to jeopardize our relationship with Luby’s or the Parks Department. By the way, Luby’s has brought in rock to fill the ruts on hole 4 so the standing water is a non issue for us. Thank you, Luby Equipment.
Chris K
Ace Poster

Postby STARFIRE on Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:30 pm

I hate to hear stories of vandals at disc golf courses. It seems as if people go there for that reason only, not to play, but to destroy the course. Homosexuals? Who knows, they might want the park back. :o
RCF #34
JCS #7
SCC #43
SICG #12
PDGA #33428
STARFIRE
Ace Poster

Postby Chris K on Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:40 am

I was able to move baskets 11 and 12 yesterday. Baskets 13 and 14 are still under water. Baskets 11 and 12 were 15 feet away from their 'planted' positions and in the water. New member Raymond Feilner and his buddy Josh Nations helped me pull them up. We planted the baskets in sleeves on 17 and 18. I'll be going over again today to replant hole 2's sleeve. Give me a call if you can help out. 314-583-3340
Chris K
Ace Poster

Postby Drewness on Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:43 pm

Hey Chris,

Thanks a million for the writeup on the layout of the new course. A friend and I went out a month ago and tried to figure it out, but after taking 30 minutes to figure out the first two holes (since the map on the cards doesn't match up to the holes now) we got frustrated and went to Watson Trails. I'd like to go check out the course again with these notes.

I'd also be willing to help with any of the work you need to have done out there. I actually live in toward the city, so it's a bit too far for me to be able to put in enough time to be a captain, but I'd be willing to put in some hours here and there to help this beautiful hidden treasure out.

I have some time to get out that way this Sunday or Monday afternoon, if you're free and interested in guiding me or a small group through the course and we could give a hand with some work out there.

My phone is 314-570-3071 or email afreiberger -at- gmail dotcom. I'll try giving you a call tommorow if I don't hear from you to see if you're free.

Thanks,
-Drew
Drewness
Bogey Poster

Postby emptv on Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:24 am

Disc Up,
I just played the 9 hole setup and found it to be a the yin to the old 18 holes yang. Where as the 18 was long and interesting, the 9 hole seems a little close and easy, IMHO. Still it is great to be able to play Unger year round now instead of only 3-4 months out of the year. Overall I would say that the new design is a improvement over the old, if for nothing else it should now be playable most of the year.

8-)
Fly long & prosper!
Bruce C.
The Traveling LAKERS
E-mail: TravelingLAKERS@hotmail.com
Lake Saint Louis, 63367
Cell # 314-606-3475
emptv
Ace Poster

Return to Unger Park