Scout Quest 100, June 5th and 6th.

RCF & other STL-area Clubs' News, Q & A, and Conversation

Scout Quest 100, June 5th and 6th.

Postby Chris K on Mon May 31, 2010 10:06 am

‘Scout Quest 100’ is 7 days away, June 5th. As you may already know, the club was asked to host a disc golf activity in Forest Park as part of the Quest for Action ‘Century of Games’, celebrating 100 years of games. Dave McCormack and I mapped out a 9 hole course in the peanut shaped area beside the Boathouse (an easy to find landmark). The scout leaders approved the course and became more enthusiastic as they walked through it.

I am asking for volunteers to help make this a successful promotional opportunity for our club and disc golf. We will need 20 to 30 volunteers throughout the day (all day). Please say you will help and send me an email or give me a call. We also need used putters available to loan out so check your collections of discs. I hope to get them all back but I cannot promise it.

There are 10,000 scouts pre-registered and 15,000 people are expected to attend. Many of these will find our disc golf course and play disc golf for the first time. Our club members will play, teach and lead. Ideally, one member will go out with each group of 3, 4 or 5.

- Teach them shot options (putters only) i.e. backhand, sidearm, roller, thumber, tomahawk, etc.

- Show them how to throw a disc i.e. ‘X step’.

- Teach the rules of play i.e. use of a mini, foot faults, falling put, course etiquette (quiet on the tee, furthest from the basket goes first, don’t walk in front of someone throwing, don’t throw discs when someone might get hit by a throw), out of bounds, how to score, etc. Let them have fun and show your excitement for a good shot.

- Encourage them to seek out the courses in the area, to bring their friends and parents, to join the club, to help our parks, to pick up trash, to start an Eagle Project, etc.

- Have fun with it and be a good example of sportsmanship and patience.

We will have tents set up, banners on display, flyers to handout, and club memberships for sale but we cannot sell discs. Please help us host a well staffed activity and leave a positive impression with the Boy Scouts and their families. Thank you,

PS. We were offered to ‘stay open’ through Sunday and continue the course. It is tempting and we will need a crew of volunteers for Sunday. Let me know if you are available for Sunday.

Chris Kinsella

President

River City Flyers / St Louis Disc Golf Club

314-583-3340

visit www.stlouisdiscgolfclub.com
Chris K
Ace Poster

Re: Scout Quest 100

Postby Chris K on Mon May 31, 2010 10:14 am

Current list of volunteers;
Saturday

1- Chris Kinsella + Mary Beth

2- Bob Waidmann

3- Tom Barrett

4- Dave West + Wife

5- Dave McCormack

6- Bill Nelson + Girlfriend

7- Nick Misuraca

8- Mark Zolman

9- Matt Augustin

10- Eric Twedell

11- Jerry Barklage

12- Steve Kleiber

13-Tim Wiegard

14- Chris Lane

15- Brad Allen

16- John Quirk

17- Tim Conlon

18- Grant Goodrich

19- Ryan Berilla

20- Rick Kasten

21- Matt Radke

22- Jerry Basye

23- Don Sarnowski

24-

Sunday

1- Mark Zolman

2- Andrew Koehler

3- Steve Hoog

4- Drew Freiberger

5- Steve Kleiber

6- Jerry Basye

7- 20 Lakers?

21-

Unless we get a full crew of 15 on Sunday, we may not hold the golf course open. My thoughts are we may sign up more people to the club on Sunday and we may also have more people come through. The event ends at noon.
Chris K
Ace Poster

Re: Scout Quest 100

Postby Chris K on Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:15 am

The list is growing for Saturday. I have a call out to the Lakers to ask if they can host the event on Sunday. What better group of golfers to show the kids how to have fun? Stay tuned. The event ends at 5p on Saturday and 12p on Sunday. I sent an email with the 'volunteer form' to everyone who has signed up for Saturday. Please fill out the form and bring it with you.
We should be good regarding discs if each volunteer brings 5 or 6 putters. That way you can follow your discs with the group you are leading. The plan is to send out a club member with each group on the course as you play, teach and lead.
Thanks in advance to the volunteers; you are the backbone of the River City Flyers / St Louis Disc Golf Club.
Chris K
Ace Poster

Re: Scout Quest 100, June 5th and 6th.

Postby Chris K on Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:08 am

Don't forget to pack a lunch. I'll bring fixing’s for ham sandwiches. The Boat House has food and beverages and there are scout trading posts too. Open beer containers are probably frowned upon and openly tipsy or altered behavior is grounds for an early dismissal. Please act responsibly. Everyone will be watching us. Please bring or wear your 2010 St Louis Open shirt or any staff, volunteer or StLOpen shirt from previous years. I'll be heading down to Forest Park at 6:30a. Anyone who can come help set up is welcome.
Chris K
Ace Poster

Postby Chris K on Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:50 pm

The club shined today! Thanks to all who came out to help. I am wiped out and logistically cannot bring the baskets tomorrow so we will not be going back down Sunday. Thanks to all who volunteered to help out on Sunday. It's now time to recover from a long day of entertaining; more to follow. You guys were awesome!
Chris K
Ace Poster

Postby Chris K on Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:28 am

Thanks to everyone who came out to volunteer their time yesterday. Let me know if I missed anyone;

1- Chris Kinsella + Mary Beth

2- Bob Waidmann

3- Tom Barrett + Son

4- Dave West + Theresa

5-

6-

7-

8- Mark Zolman

9- Matt Augustin

10- Eric Twedell - afternoon

11- Jerry Barklage + Jill - afternoon

12- Steve Kleiber

13-

14- Chris Lane

15-

16-

17- Tim Conlon

18-

19-

20-

21- Matt Radtke

22- Jerry Basye - afternoon

23- Don Sarnowski

24- Jay Schwyhart

25- Steve Wolten

26- Dave + William Warren

27- Dan Moss
Chris K
Ace Poster

Postby Chris K on Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:41 am

Thanks to John Quirk who could not make it but loaned us his 2 pop up tents and 1 table;
Mark Dudenhoeffer who loaned us his 2 baskets;
Red Keenan who loaned us his 2 baskets;
Neil Brown who loaned us his basket and truck;
Bob Waidmann who loaned us his 5 baskets and 2 tables, plus a cooler full of drinks.
It is refreshing to see the club rally to support the growth of our sport and support organizations like the Boy Scouts. The scouts enjoyed the course and many came back to play it again and again.
Chris K
Ace Poster

Postby rondisc on Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:58 am

This is good stuff.

Peace
"Such a long long time to be gone, and a short time to be there."
rondisc
Ace Poster

Postby Chris K on Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:40 pm

FYI

Sent: Monday, June 07, 2010 2:33 PM

Chris,

Sorry I didn't catch up with you prior to my leaving Saturday night. I was planning on staying till Sunday morning, however, everyone else was leaving and I was tired and had to leave with the trailer when I had the opportunity.

Anyway, thank you very much for your participation at Scout Quest. Every time I came over I saw kids out on your course having fun. Your team transformed the field into a professional looking activity and the one on one help you provided the Scouts was a real class act. I know you and your group of volunteers put in a lot hard work to make it a success. I heard a lot of kids saying they had fun trying it out and I'm sure you generated a lot of interest in Frisbee golf.

Please pass my thanks on to all your folks who helped out.

Sincerely

Karl

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 2010 7:57 AM
To: 'Schuhmacher, Karl F'

Thanks, Karl; we had a lot of fun doing it. Maybe you and I will play a round of ball golf and disc golf together. You, Tony and Ann were great to work with. I thought Scout Quest 100 was a success and good PR for the game and our club. I estimated close to 300 rounds of golf and nearly all enjoyed it. We are hopeful that the scouts will think of disc golf as a game to play in the parks and help us improve the parks with Eagle Projects. (There is a need for small bridges in Jefferson Barracks, Endicott, Quail Ridge and Sioux Passage.) We are also hopeful that this exposure will allow us to expand the sport and get a disc golf course within the city limits. Thanks in advance for your support. If our club can be of further service, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Until next time, play outdoors.

Chris Kinsella

President

River City Flyers / St Louis Disc Golf Club

314-583-3340

visit www.stlouisdiscgolfclub.com
Chris K
Ace Poster

Return to Club Announcements & Discussion