‘Scout Quest 100’ is 7 days away, June 5th. As you may already know, the club was asked to host a disc golf activity in Forest Park as part of the Quest for Action ‘Century of Games’, celebrating 100 years of games. Dave McCormack and I mapped out a 9 hole course in the peanut shaped area beside the Boathouse (an easy to find landmark). The scout leaders approved the course and became more enthusiastic as they walked through it.
I am asking for volunteers to help make this a successful promotional opportunity for our club and disc golf. We will need 20 to 30 volunteers throughout the day (all day). Please say you will help and send me an email or give me a call. We also need used putters available to loan out so check your collections of discs. I hope to get them all back but I cannot promise it.
There are 10,000 scouts pre-registered and 15,000 people are expected to attend. Many of these will find our disc golf course and play disc golf for the first time. Our club members will play, teach and lead. Ideally, one member will go out with each group of 3, 4 or 5.
- Teach them shot options (putters only) i.e. backhand, sidearm, roller, thumber, tomahawk, etc.
- Show them how to throw a disc i.e. ‘X step’.
- Teach the rules of play i.e. use of a mini, foot faults, falling put, course etiquette (quiet on the tee, furthest from the basket goes first, don’t walk in front of someone throwing, don’t throw discs when someone might get hit by a throw), out of bounds, how to score, etc. Let them have fun and show your excitement for a good shot.
- Encourage them to seek out the courses in the area, to bring their friends and parents, to join the club, to help our parks, to pick up trash, to start an Eagle Project, etc.
- Have fun with it and be a good example of sportsmanship and patience.
We will have tents set up, banners on display, flyers to handout, and club memberships for sale but we cannot sell discs. Please help us host a well staffed activity and leave a positive impression with the Boy Scouts and their families. Thank you,
PS. We were offered to ‘stay open’ through Sunday and continue the course. It is tempting and we will need a crew of volunteers for Sunday. Let me know if you are available for Sunday.
River City Flyers / St Louis Disc Golf Club