Creve Coeur - Improving the Holes

Forum to discuss the improvement of our St. Louis area disc golf courses

Re: Creve Coeur - Improving the Holes

Postby raymandisc on Mon May 03, 2010 8:06 pm

Now that it's fresh in my mind, here is my take on the mando and OB's at CC.

The mando on #1 and #6 are a must for safety reasons. There is no need to invite players to throw over the road. I believe the more permanent fix is to put in trees to eliminate the shot over the road. I'm told this is already in the works but we're just waiting for the fall for the planting. Even if you post a mando the casuals most likely will hyzer anyway. The trees are the way to go here. I also like the mando on #10 because of safety throwing into player's from hole #9. But the shot all of our group took was the right handed S shot into #9 fairway. So, I don't think this is a real fix. As before I think we plant trees that deter the shot in #9 fairway.

Now let's talk about the OB areas. I like them. I don't see a negative here.

I would like to see trees planted between #1 and #2 because the route to the left placements are to throw left of the tree on the right side of the fairway which is right were most #1 right handers fall off teeing from #1. You guessed it I'm thinking planting some trees. While were at it let's put some on #17 and #15 since we lost some, making these holes a little bland.

Survey Says ----- Plant Trees... This is my 2 cents... :mrgreen:
"I want a name when I loose. They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me DFL"
raymandisc
Birdie Poster

Postby wachoutforthattree on Wed May 05, 2010 2:42 pm

Morgan, Francis, and I believe Chris K. had a meeting with the parks lady over a month ago. We had a course map and we marked out 30 spots we would like to plant trees in. Verying from pine,cedar, flowering, and willows. We were told that it is best to plant trees when they are dormant. So next fall or winter is the time. We have it all marked down as to what trees we want placed first. So over the course of the next several years we should start seeing more trees popping up out there. Which should make the holes alot harder. Thanks for your input Ray if you have any more ideas for Creve let me know. We want to make the course more challenging for next years open.
See you on the course
Ben
wachoutforthattree
Par Poster

Postby raymandisc on Fri May 14, 2010 5:29 pm

Ben you are the man. I love the fact we are actually going to plant trees. Keeping people or at least detering people from throwing over the road is a good thing. I'm not too keen on having #6 pint in the right corner of the park. I don't think this was ever intended on being a placement. Anyway, it just invites people to hit cars. Hit the wrong car and goodbye golf course. Again a mando doesn't really do anything. Strategically planted tress I think will.

As you mentioned, I'm with you once you get the safety thing covered and your not throwing into another fairway like teeing on #10 into #9 fairway because it's the best place to drive, then make the course more challenging.

Here's a thought on hole #14 instead of mando between the trees which I think is a little hokey, go with a 200 foot by 40 foot oval of native grass just like Sioux Pass and put about 320 feet off the tee way on the left side and angle it toward the middle of the fairway. Basically if you throw 400 then make sure you stay right and not fade off left into the OB. The farther down the fairway you get the more chance of OB. Wow, now you have to think on the tee, not just give 450 plus player's a shot on the field. Wait, look like you do have to throw between the trees for the righty. Mando without being a mando. I Like...

The same could be done for hole #9. What say you. I'd love to also hear what Davey Mac thinks about something like this. I may ask him, since I'm going Sunday.

See ya..
raymandisc
Birdie Poster

Postby wachoutforthattree on Mon May 17, 2010 5:45 pm

We are going to get trees in hopefully next year. They will definitely define fairways and prevent people from just throwing big drives without accuracy. The first trees are going on Hole 6 and 10 to prevent people from going over the road and over 9's fairway. Hopefully they are going to mow this week or next and I will be able to go out with them and define the fairways. It should leave plenty of tall grass which won't be OB for now but will still effect shots.

I'm also looking at trying to do something with the spots that collect water every time it rains. (Such as Hole 2 has a huge puddle where a long drive would land. I don't know if I can make that an OB by putting large rocks around it or something but I think it makes the hole more challenging and could help with mowing that area. I would compare it to something like Swope park has large rocks around large low areas. They are OB and provide another obstical.

Let me know what you think or if you'd like to see something else done.
wachoutforthattree
Par Poster

Postby rondisc on Mon May 17, 2010 5:51 pm

BH,
Good point, just get the right type of tree. I am not an expert, but on 14 at JB the slot where the water runs down from the road and the wet spot, always, maybe, the same type of tree. Something that looovvess water.

Good job the 3 hartateers.

Peace
"Such a long long time to be gone, and a short time to be there."
rondisc
Ace Poster

Postby QuailRunner on Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:01 am

Is there ever any thought of moving the course onto the hillsides? The flat is too boring for me, so I don't ever play CC. Seems there are great areas to the south?
QuailRunner
Bogey Poster

Postby mkane on Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:02 pm

Not that I know of, dem hills are not in the plan. But the grass has been cut and the fairways are great. Boring?, it happens but don't forget the par is 69 that is 15 more strokes than 54. Perhaps the boring part is you are taking more shots and the attention span kind of wanes, then the concentration slips, then the mechanics, then the shots just don't seem to go as far and then you try to throw harder but it seems the long flat course is getting longer and yes my friend, you now have Creve Couer - :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mkane
Ace Poster

Postby Zman on Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:53 pm

Anyone have an update on Creve? I don't recall seeing any new trees so was just curious if the plan has changed or been delayed.
Zman
Bogey Poster

Postby raymandisc on Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:34 am

What is trees for 100 Alex. :mrgreen:
raymandisc
Birdie Poster

Previous

Return to Improving the Golf Holes at Our Local Courses