Have you played in Ste Genevieve?

Unrelated to disc golf

Have you played in Ste Genevieve?

Postby eupher61 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:59 pm

I need some help, gang. I was at the park board meeting tonight, and they are pretty much supportive of the disc golf course overall, but have questions about why new baskets may be needed. (um...because the ones in there are ugly and built wrong? They recognize the ugly part, at least.) There is no budget for such things, but they could be encouraged to search if they see evidence of need/desire/usefullness.
The main question--How many rounds are played there? I really don't know, since I don't live there, and the locals that do play are usually out at strange times of day, due to shift work.

So, just for anecdotal evidence, PLEASE answer these few questions...good numbers will help my case, and help to improving another course in the area.

1)Have you played the DG course in Ste Genevieve, Pere Marquette Park?
2)How many times have you played it?
3)Did you buy anything at a local store? Bottle of soda, 6 pack of beer, lunch, whatever...
4)If we held a fund raiser tournament, toward getting new baskets, would you go down to play? Say, $20/person, 2 rounds of 18 (using short and long tees to 9 baskets)?

Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to getting another paycheck so I can join the RCF...money is really tight, so my PDGA will go unpaid this year. Sadly.
eupher61
Birdie Poster

Re: Have you played in Ste Genevieve?

Postby REDARMY on Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:52 am

eupher61 wrote:I need some help, gang. I was at the park board meeting tonight, and they are pretty much supportive of the disc golf course overall, but have questions about why new baskets may be needed. (um...because the ones in there are ugly and built wrong? They recognize the ugly part, at least.) There is no budget for such things, but they could be encouraged to search if they see evidence of need/desire/usefullness.
The main question--How many rounds are played there? I really don't know, since I don't live there, and the locals that do play are usually out at strange times of day, due to shift work.

So, just for anecdotal evidence, PLEASE answer these few questions...good numbers will help my case, and help to improving another course in the area.

1)Have you played the DG course in Ste Genevieve, Pere Marquette Park?
2)How many times have you played it?
3)Did you buy anything at a local store? Bottle of soda, 6 pack of beer, lunch, whatever...
4)If we held a fund raiser tournament, toward getting new baskets, would you go down to play? Say, $20/person, 2 rounds of 18 (using short and long tees to 9 baskets)?

Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to getting another paycheck so I can join the RCF...money is really tight, so my PDGA will go unpaid this year. Sadly.

1. No
2. -
3. -
4. Yes, if i had a ride.
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby TIS126 on Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:26 am

i have not played there because i have heard the baskets are in such bad shape. im sure if i made a trip down iwe would spend money in the town for lunch and drinks. i think a tourney would be a great idea.
TIS126
Bogey Poster

Postby emptv on Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:02 pm

Disc up,

1: The Traveling LAKERS are trying to work a round in at this course but have not been able to agree on a date at the time of this posting. As we are a slightly discFUNctional group :lol: , you could be assured that we would have forgotten something and would have to stock up on some supplies.
2 & 3: N/A, yet
4: YES, The Traveling LAKERS believe that by us going to events and joining other clubs is one of the best ways to help the overall growth of disc golf.

8-)
Fly long & prosper!
Bruce C.
The Traveling LAKERS
E-mail: TravelingLAKERS@hotmail.com
Lake Saint Louis, 63367
Cell # 314-606-3475
Ace= $180/$97
Sweeps= $4/$11
Fun= $378
emptv
Ace Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:24 pm

1.-- Yes
2.-- Just once, liked the park, there were some good holes, but, the baskets were BAD (many a good solid putt would end up on the ground :roll: ) & it was difficult to find the tee for each hole too.
3.-- No, but that probably WOULD happen in the future
4.-- Quite likely, yes
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby Working Stiff on Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:13 pm

1)Yes
2)Just once. It was waaayyy out of my way. I went there specifically to play the disc golf course, which was decent except the baskets were terrible. I'd go back every now and then if it were not for the baskets.
3)I got something to drink and some gas somewhere along the way. Not sure if it was in Ste Genevieve or not but it's a solid possibility.
4)I'd be tempted.
Working Stiff
Birdie Poster

Postby eupher61 on Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:51 pm

Please, keep 'em coming. I know the baskets are in bad shape, but I'm really trying to get that happening. Somewhere between my giving pictures, sketches, and specs for the baskets to the person who gave them to the fabricator, the baskets went from looking like an early DGA basket to what they are. And, to top it off, they were about a foot too tall in the target area...that was hilarious!

At least the city put up tee signs that are hard to miss, too. The course map on
www.stegenevievediscgolfcourse.yolasite.com should help navigating. I know, things are a bit primitive still, but we're trying.

I appreciate the support, and the comments about the baskets don't hurt, they are actually quite helpful. Thanks...waiting for more!

And, Lakers, I'm hoping to get joining you sometime soon anyway, so a trip home would be terrific. It's only an hour from South County....and good eatin'....
eupher61
Birdie Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:43 am

Good to hear that there are tee signs now. When I played there (don't remember when exactly that was), there was ONLY blocks in the ground for tee markers, &, if you didn't know the course, you had to walk ALL over the place hoping to find the next tee.......
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby STARFIRE on Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:23 pm

I've been waiting to hear about a basket upgrade down there.

I love that course, I think it has some very unique shots, especially Hole 1 when the base of the hills fills with water!

The tees are hard to find, I remember taking orange flags with me one time to help people find their way around. People would probably play more often if they didn't get lost everytime.

The baskets remind me of Gateway's PVC practice basket as far as the chains goes. The bottom of the basket is built in a curved shape like a bowl and not like a bucket/basket. Many a shots went in and rode the bowl out the other side. Definitely good effort to handmake those baskets and design and the course, etc.

1. Yes.
2. Several
3. Fast Food...
4. Would play but for $20 there would have to be some kind of payout or even just some good cookin'. (I wasn't aware there were long tees, I've only seen one set of tees when I played but that would be a good addition.)
RCF #34
JCS #7
SCC #43
SICG #12
PDGA #33428
STARFIRE
Ace Poster

Postby eupher61 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:17 am

So far there's only the original tees, the added ones will be shorter. The tournament would be a fundraiser, to help toward buying baskets. The city has no money at this point, and they don't see enough use to justify doing much toward finding the money.
Payout for a first tournament would be prizes only, sadly, that's the way it will have to be--it's a fundraising thing...
I'm glad you like the course, though! The city did put up signs, and the new website
www.stegenevievediscgolfcourse.yolasite.com has the map, hole description, and better travel directions.
My time has become pretty limited suddenly, so a tournament probably won't happen until August at the earliest. That could be a good tie in with the Jour de Fete, talk about good eatin' and drinkin'...and family members who don't want to hang at the disc golf course can go down and walk around the art show and stuff.

I'm tryin'. We've adjusted a couple of the original tees for location, and are going to put some cement down for tee lines, instead of the bricks. The short tees haven't gone in yet, but I'm hoping one of these weekends that will get done.

steve
eupher61
Birdie Poster

Next

Return to Off-Topic Discussions