Message Board Rules

ask questions, get answers, & find info about the RCF website/forums

Re: Message Board Rules

Postby Working Stiff on Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:22 pm

Moderating stinks.

I'm a moderator on Disc Golf Course Review, and it's a classic damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Every day somebody complains about a post, and you have to decide if you are going to leave it or delete it or lock the thread or whatever. You for sure know that whatever you do you are either going to tick off the person who made the post or tick off the person who complained. Every time I lock a thread or delete a post there are people who think I'm trampling on free speech and have gone too far, and others who think the whole thread should be deleted and I have not gone far enough. Pretty much the only given is that I'm making somebody mad.

Really, all message boards work off the same principal. Don't be a douchebag. You can create a whole set of fancy long-winded rules and regulations, but in the end it boils down to that. If you can keep that in mind these things are great tools to keep information flowing.

Unfortunately they are more often used as places to complain and argue. They are not great tools for that. A lot of people don't understand the difference between asking "why was the payout so low?" and posting "that payout sucked!" So people get mad and yell and scream at each other through the keyboard and you end up with rules and some poor moderators stuck in the middle of it.

Really, this is simple. Before you hit "submit" read what you wrote and think "do I sound like a douchebag?" If you do, delete it and start over. Those are really the only rules you need.
Working Stiff
Birdie Poster

Postby rondisc on Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:23 pm

Mkane,
I love ya bro, you keep pushin. You have the right idea. Rog is Rog, this will never change. He is still the great chopper downer. It will be this way, forever. He is still good people, and no harm to Roger. Still my friend and many peoples. We still have to be able to have fun or....

I 100% agree with you.

L8r MK,
"Such a long long time to be gone, and a short time to be there."
rondisc
Ace Poster

Postby rondisc on Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:25 pm

Working Stiff wrote:Moderating stinks.

I'm a moderator on Disc Golf Course Review, and it's a classic damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Every day somebody complains about a post, and you have to decide if you are going to leave it or delete it or lock the thread or whatever. You for sure know that whatever you do you are either going to tick off the person who made the post or tick off the person who complained. Every time I lock a thread or delete a post there are people who think I'm trampling on free speech and have gone too far, and others who think the whole thread should be deleted and I have not gone far enough. Pretty much the only given is that I'm making somebody mad.

Really, all message boards work off the same principal. Don't be a douchebag. You can create a whole set of fancy long-winded rules and regulations, but in the end it boils down to that. If you can keep that in mind these things are great tools to keep information flowing.

Unfortunately they are more often used as places to complain and argue. They are not great tools for that. A lot of people don't understand the difference between asking "why was the payout so low?" and posting "that payout sucked!" So people get mad and yell and scream at each other through the keyboard and you end up with rules and some poor moderators stuck in the middle of it.

Really, this is simple. Before you hit "submit" read what you wrote and think "do I sound like a douchebag?" If you do, delete it and start over. Those are really the only rules you need.

Whats up stiff,
Long time no talk to, just happened to be out here same time you are, this is good stuff!
"Such a long long time to be gone, and a short time to be there."
rondisc
Ace Poster

Postby irwinje on Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:32 am

mkane wrote:don't worry about the spelling we get the drift ;)

Why would you ever encourage people to me more stupid than they have to be. Spelling does matter and so does grammar. We as humans have the ability to think and convey thoughts in a way that is unique to our species. If we get lazy about that and take these gifts for graunted, we may as well hang out in trees and throw our poop at each other, because we have reduced ourselves to lesser forms of mamals.

And, working stiff hit the nail on the head. You really are damed if you do or if you don't - just look at my situation. People will always complain because the squeaky wheel gets the grease. But, for the time that I was involved, I was much more inclined to consider a change when soemone took me aside for a word in my ear as opposed to complaining publicly. Individually, people have the ability to be amazing. As a gorup though "people" tend to be short sighted and somewhat stupid.
Time to get serious about having fun
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby Lazerface on Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:25 am

Hey! Let's get back to this Lazerface is a jerk comment. Careful Bryan, I have been known to slash a few tires in my day, and I am not afraid to Tire ArmorAll your discs.

I hope the board doesn't report these threats to the Feds. :shock:
AMERICA
STL TAG 4, SO IL TAG 1, ST CHUCK TAG ?, JC TAG NEEDED
Lazerface
Birdie Poster

Postby Lazerface on Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:12 pm

irwinje wrote:Why would you ever encourage people to me more stupid than they have to be. Spelling does matter and so does grammar. We as humans have the ability to think and convey thoughts in a way that is unique to our species. If we get lazy about that and take these gifts for graunted, we may as well hang out in trees and throw our poop at each other, because we have reduced ourselves to lesser forms of mamals.

Wow Jeff, you and I have some serious philosophical differences. I think you may need to re-address your perspective on this subject. "lesser forms of mammals" - maybe language itself is the ultimate restriction of our species. Sure, it was a social inevitability for human beings to construct a complex form of language during the origins of our species, but let us not forget that the role of language has acted both as a blessing and a curse for us. We are forced to express our thoughts in words and labels that contain multiple symbols, contexts, and definitions. Just try to think without the use of words. I think a more primal form of communication could be good for the mind and spirit. Think of the ways other animals have formed incredible intuitive abilities, which is probably precisely because of their inability to form a complex language like that of human beings. I am not trying to say that having language is not socially constructive, because it is, but it is also perceptively restrictive. Spelling and grammar are rules for definitions of thoughts that we made up. People can express themselves intelligently without following these rules, and keep in mind that not all have an equal opportunity to society's outlets for teaching writing skills. It is funny that we bash each other over the web for bad spelling. If we were communicating in person, would you be thinking?, "I bet this guy doesn't even know how to correctly spell and structure these words he is using on paper." Haven't you ever seen that article from Cambridge U that has an entire paragraph of misspelled words with only the correct first and last letters of each word, and astonishingly, everyone can read it? Perfect spelling obviously has no effect on our brains ability to decode written language.

P.S. you misspelled graunted (granted) and mamals (mammals)
AMERICA
STL TAG 4, SO IL TAG 1, ST CHUCK TAG ?, JC TAG NEEDED
Lazerface
Birdie Poster

Postby gottagothrow on Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:24 pm

Lazerface wrote:I hope the board doesn't report these threats to the Feds. :shock:

You are now hereby reported and now on "The" Watch list.
Your life is now over as you know it. You will be trailed by blacksuited Agents watching your every move.
Perhaps this would be a good time to teach them some Disc Golf eh?
DD
Remember, there is no disc.
http://stlouisdiscgolfclub.com/
Tag # 1 (in my imaginary world)
PDGA # 26478 rating 935
38.517136°N, 090.280311°W
gottagothrow
Birdie Poster

Postby irwinje on Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:22 pm

Lazerface wrote:
irwinje wrote: P.S. you misspelled graunted (granted) and mamals (mammals)

Alas, my humanity has shown itself and my typos have rendered my opinion irrelevant. "I always F-up some stupid Monday detail"
Time to get serious about having fun
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby gottagothrow on Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:06 pm

irwinje wrote:"I always F-up some stupid Monday detail"

Today is twosday err.. Tuesday...
Remember, there is no disc.
http://stlouisdiscgolfclub.com/
Tag # 1 (in my imaginary world)
PDGA # 26478 rating 935
38.517136°N, 090.280311°W