how does it work

a forum for talking about Disc Golf in St. Louis and Beyond

how does it work

Postby jpeak on Mon May 18, 2009 1:13 pm

Hey,
Just getting back to disk golf and wondering how this all works for tourneys and the such. How do you sign up and all? Have not been playing because don't know anyone who plays anymore. Any info about playing and the such would be great. Thanks JP
jpeak
Bogey Poster

Re: how does it work

Postby irwinje on Mon May 18, 2009 2:14 pm

jp,
First off, welcome back to disc golf. All of the StL courses are open to the public as long as they are not reserved for an event. To become a member of the St. Louis Disc Golf Club, the River City Flyers, you can get in touch with any of the course captains at our local courses.
Mark Dudenhoeffer @ Jefferson Barracks
Brad Fortman @ Unger Park
Chris Lang @ Endicott
Ben Hart @ Creve Coeur
Francis Albanese @ Sioux Passage
Andy Majesky @ Quail Ridge
You do not have to be an RCF member to play our events, but it does have it's benefits, like the club Ace Pool. Our events/tournaments are traditionally $20/ea. to participate. We have multiple divisions available for all skill levels as well. If you're just getting back into it, you may want to try the Intermediate division the 1st few times out.
Our Club Championships are the 2nd weekend of October (traditionally) which is where you join/re-new your membership for the local club, the River City Flyers. This gets you in the club, a bag tag, ace pool eligibility, discounted merch, and much much more.
We also host 3 PDGA sanctioned events a year for which we encourage joining the PDGA for. This is a $50 charge, but not absolutely necessairy if you are not planning on playing in the St. Louis Open (a PDGA A-Tier)which we host each May. If I were you and I was looking into getting back into the sport I would wait until Jan. 1st to join/re-join the PDGA since it is an annual fee.
We also have weekly events/leagues which have different costs to play
Monday: Endicott singles league ($5/wk) show up by 5
Tuesday: JB & Quail Ridge doubles leagues ($20= 8 cumulative weeks)
Wednesday: Creve Coeur league ($5/wk) show up by 5
Wednesday: Collinsville league ($5/wk) show up by 5-ish
Thursday: White Birch doubles league ($20 = 8 cumulative weeks)
Sunday: 10am random draw doubles at Collinsville
Sunday: 12pm random draw doubles at JB

* Come out to a couple of leagues, we have some really great people here in StL that are more than willing to help out and answer questions. Hope to see you on the course soon.
Last edited by irwinje on Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time to get serious about having fun
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby Aleforge on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:18 pm

Hey guys, I am new to the site and wondering if all of the above still applies? Just picked up the sport last year and hoping to enter some events this upcoming spring and wanted to get more educated on how it all works!

Thanks
Aleforge

Postby magic on Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:26 pm

Aleforge - it appears that most of the information is still correct. From the home page you can look under contacts to see who the current officers are. You can also check out any upcoming tournaments under the Events tab. There will usually be a flyer posted ahead of time to give you more details on each event. The only thing I can think of that is different this year is you have to pay $3 extra at an event if you aren't a RCF member. If you are wanting to join the club it should be pretty easy to do depending where you are located.

If you have any other specific questions please post and either myself or someone else will get you an answer.
magic
Ace Poster

Postby REDARMY on Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:27 pm

Aleforge wrote:Hey guys, I am new to the site and wondering if all of the above still applies? Just picked up the sport last year and hoping to enter some events this upcoming spring and wanted to get more educated on how it all works!

Thanks

One notable exception to Jeff's post is that not ALL of the 21 St. Louis area courses are open to the public. El Shaddai and Turtle Oaks need calling ahead to get permission to play, and Lindenwood is currently closed to the public. But that still leaves you 18 :)
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby rushman007 on Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:39 am

Hey all,
First off, I love the fact that there is so much disc golf in St. Louis! I started playing DG in 2004 when I was living in Little Rock. I was introduced to the game by a friend from Rochester, NY, and he let me use a couple of his discs whenever we played. However, Little Rock only has one course, and nowhere to buy discs (that I knew of).

I've been living in St. Louis since 2006, but until I moved to Maryland Heights in the fall of 2009, I was unaware of how many courses there were. I was especially stoked to find that there was actually a course (Creve Couer) 3 minutes away from my place. So, using the 2 discs my buddy gave me, I began to throw again.

Since then, I built up my bag, and have played at a handful of courses in town. I have been planning on joining the RCF, but I wanted to get my game to a decent level before doing so. I'm not great, but I'm not terrible. I typically shoot par or one over on most holes.

Now, I have nothing against folks putting a wager down on a game, but here's what I want to know: If I join up with RCF and play some of the weekly games, or meet up with other players, am I expected to throw in money as well? I honestly just like to play for the sake of playing. Do you get any attitude or flak if you don't wager?

Also, are other players pretty laid back? Or is it uber-competitive? I'm just looking for some good folk to throw plastic with. Nothing heavy, just a nice game with some like-minded people.

Sorry for the long post...it's my first time dealing with a DG club.
Thanks!
Don
2012 RCF Tag #490
rushman007
Bogey Poster

Postby Lazerface on Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:23 am

Don, as far as the weekly leagues go, you pretty much have to pay to play. the tuesday leagues are crowded at both quail and jb, so those courses are not good for casual play on those days. I think Doh does allow you to jump on a card with some league guys and you can pay 5 bucks if you want to get in on the extras (ctps, ace pool, 50/50s). Don't quote me on that, but i think he may allow it.

One league that seemed to go unmentioned is the traveling laker league on sundays. This is a good time. You pay a few bucks if you want to, or you can just play for fun. Everyone plays in a massive group and the main idea is to have fun.

Most members just play for fun or the club bag tags (low round gets low tag).
AMERICA
STL TAG 4, SO IL TAG 1, ST CHUCK TAG ?, JC TAG NEEDED
Lazerface
Birdie Poster

Postby emptv on Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:02 am

Disc Up Don,
The Traveling LAKER League will be at Endicott tonight, Wednesday August 18, 2010 for a 5 to 5:30 tee off. If you can fit it in your schedule to show up, it would be our honor to have you throw with us. We do a year round Sunday league and a weekday league for the spring, summer, fall, neither of which we keep game to game stats for. Check out the "Announcements" tab for information on us.

8-)
Fly long & prosper!
Bruce C.
The Traveling LAKERS
E-mail: TravelingLAKERS@hotmail.com
Lake Saint Louis, 63367
Cell # 314-606-3475
Ace= $0/$0
Sweeps= $0/$0
Fun= $0
emptv
Ace Poster