Unger Upgrades

(Unger Park DGC is permanently closed)

Re: Unger Upgrades

Postby REDARMY on Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:43 pm

last chance: are we still on and is there anything i can bring?
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby WELLdaMAN20 on Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:07 pm

REDARMY,

I will be there around 10 am on Sunday and if you want to bring saws or shovels or anything you feel is worthy you can bring them. We will work for a bit and then do a tag round. Thanks for wanting to help.

Matt
WELLdaMAN20
Bogey Poster

Postby Chris K on Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:03 am

Stumps are a main stumbling block (pun intended) to a pleasant round there. Bring a pick/hoe type of tool and a bucket to collect trash. If you have tall kitchen bags with the red pull straps, you can place them at a couple of tee pads until more trash cans are brought in.
Chris K
Ace Poster

Postby hohman on Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:35 am

Ok, I was extremely dissappointed the other day when I went to play unger. This was the second time I played the course. It does have some great shots that can't be found on any other course in the city. The problem is this course has been here for how long now? There are still no signs, no maps, and a few of the holes were surrounded by water. I think the biggest dissapointment came from not being able to find a few of the tee-offs, for this course being as old as it is and not having any signs is just a shame. I have been to new courses that are only a few months old and they look emaculate. My personal opinion is that the RCF should just acrap this course and use the baskets at another location.
Jason Hohman
PDGA #27508
hohman
Par Poster

Postby rondisc on Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:18 pm

Jason,
Everybody wants everything perfect immediately. Like a baby which the course is still in its infancy stages.
We started working out there in the last 2 weeks waiting on the fall. It takes 5 yrs to create a mature course. This course is 10 months old.

Peace,
Ron
"Such a long long time to be gone, and a short time to be there."
rondisc
Ace Poster

Postby REDARMY on Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:48 pm

IMO, both of you have valid points.

yes upgrades take time, but there should be more structure there now than there was a year ago.

saying the course should be scrapped though is just silly. Where else should the baskets go hohman?
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby STARFIRE on Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:05 am

There just needs to be more money put into the course, bottom-line. Money will get the job done vs. volunteering time(although we need both.)

We need tee signs before concrete, IMO. What's the hold up with that? It shouldn't take ten months to get signs or five years...
RCF #34
JCS #7
SCC #43
SICG #12
PDGA #33428
STARFIRE
Ace Poster

Postby gottagothrow on Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:13 am

I seriously doubt the course will be removed anytime soon. Therefore, the question comes up....
WHAT needs to be done in WHAT order.

I have not PLAYED the course. I have only seen a FEW holes. But I talk to enough folks to have a bit of an idea as to the course status and issues.

With the above in mind, my guesses:
1st) Bulletin Board
2nd) any course redesign that needs done due to frequent flooding or other general layout issues
3rd) Tee Sign markers (and I mean 4x4 posts in the ground with hole #, distance(s), map? clearly on them.
4th) Bathrooms
5th) Concrete Tee pads
6th) course clean up, stumps, trees, etc etc.
Remember, there is no disc.
http://stlouisdiscgolfclub.com/
Tag # 1 (in my imaginary world)
PDGA # 26478 rating 935
38.517136°N, 090.280311°W
gottagothrow
Birdie Poster

Postby Working Stiff on Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:25 pm

STARFIRE wrote:We need tee signs before concrete, IMO. What's the hold up with that? It shouldn't take ten months to get signs or five years...

gottagothrow wrote:With the above in mind, my guesses:
1st) Bulletin Board
2nd) any course redesign that needs done due to frequent flooding or other general layout issues
3rd) Tee Sign markers (and I mean 4x4 posts in the ground with hole #, distance(s), map? clearly on them.
Two has to come before three. You need to get the tweaks done and the design finalized before you get signs. When the course first went in, I remember it being posted that we needed to get some rounds out there to make sure the tees were where we wanted them. We have rounds out there, now someone needs to be in charge of evaluating the tee locations and making the final decisions before the tee signs can be done.

Changes that effect the distances or the look of the hole will effect the sign. There is a hole on the back course at Albert Oakland that was moved after the signs were done, #13 I think. When you get there and look at the sign, then look at the actual hole all you can do is think "WTF?" because they don't match at all, the sign still has the map and distances of the old hole. That is what happens when you move stuff around. There is no need to create more work to fix signs when you can avoid it by waiting until the tee locations are final.
Working Stiff
Birdie Poster

Postby STARFIRE on Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:18 pm

I completely agree. At the same time, if we hurried up and got signs, we'd have to hurry up and figure out where they go. If we wait for the course to be evaluated it could take 5 years to get signs...Instead we should be on it like white on rice. We've got our rounds in, everyone has made comments, yet nothing has been done.

Good job to the people working to get this course looking better but let's start with the signs and then continue with clearing stumps, etc. It really isn' t that hard to figure out each hole and get a sign made up. There doesn't have to be any visual aid on the sign itself, just hole #, par and distance.

There is no reason it should be taking this long to get this course in shape. Measure the holes, put a sign in and keep it that way. I am saddened to see this course is still a mess.....
RCF #34
JCS #7
SCC #43
SICG #12
PDGA #33428
STARFIRE
Ace Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Unger Park