Membership Communication

RCF & other STL-area Clubs' News, Q & A, and Conversation

Membership Communication

Postby irwinje on Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:02 pm

I know that email blasts being sent out to the general membership. However, I also know that not everyone checks their email multiple times per day, so I would like to offer a suggestion for getting up to date information to the general membership regarding important events, like this weekend's Club Championships.
Though not everyone has a computer/internet access, I'd be willing to bet that most people have a mobile phone that has the capability of receiving texts (I don't think most carriers charge for incoming text messages). So, I would like to propose that the RCF board starts a text/phone chain to let poeple know important details about upcoming events, last minute changes, or promotions run through this website or through club events like leagues.
God knows I've had a lot of dumb ideas, especially over the last 2 years. Maybe this is another dumb one... maybe not
Time to get serious about having fun
irwinje
Ace Poster

Re: Membership Communication

Postby clane on Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:59 pm

Although I don't think most carriers don't charge for incoming texts(I KNOW AT&T charges me for every text, either way), I do think this is a really good idea. Text messages are a lot more immediate form of communication for most people even in a situation where taking a phone call would be inappropriate. There may also be services where a single message could be sent and forwarded to a group of people, rather than the old school phone-tree.
This could really come in handy when a last minute change comes up that would affect members going to a tournament, etc.
Tag #204
clane
Par Poster

Postby emptv on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:54 am

Disc up,
Man this sounds familiar. I had suggested almost the same thing months ago in 2010 open ideas format for improvements on the upcoming next years open. My suggestion was met with critisism for all of the "extra work " it would take to do that. :evil: Oh well, my guess is this "old man" was waaayyy ahead of the curve for this kind of idea. :mrgreen: I guess it does not matter who suggest the ideas, just so long as ideas are given.
Quote by Brian Auger "Successful conversation, will take you very far."

Always one of the hardest parts of any organization is open venues of communication. It takes effort and time but it pay great dividends. The LAKERS just assembled a team a number of weeks ago so we could go up to Iowa and take 1st in a team match golf event between 3 other teams form 2 states. It was a huge amount of work, but that event was one of the funnest events we had ever taken part in. There were hours of meetings and even more time on the phone and texting, making a website and hunting sponsers all take time as well. Yes, there were bumps in the road. Some people had to cancel at the last week or closer, but with all of the communication we had we were able to overcome the obstacles to still enjoy and preform well. Just look at the turnout of well publicized events compared to the quieter/smaller events. I like to think the RCF has good communication skills but we can always scoure other clubs for their better ideas on how to spread the word and incorporate those ideas into our club.

8-)
Fly long & prosper!
Bruce C.
The Traveling LAKERS
E-mail: TravelingLAKERS@hotmail.com
Lake Saint Louis, 63367
Cell # 314-606-3475
Ace= $0/$0
Sweeps= $0/$0
Fun= $0
emptv
Ace Poster

Postby clanger on Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:51 pm

I like the text message idea.
clanger
Par Poster

Postby gottagothrow on Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:45 am

I do too.

But... I can send / receive my messages free. But I know others have to pay like 10 to 25 cents for EACH message received OR sent. I don't see how we can effectively implement this without costing our members money.
Remember, there is no disc.
http://stlouisdiscgolfclub.com/
Tag # 1 (in my imaginary world)
PDGA # 26478 rating 935
38.517136°N, 090.280311°W
gottagothrow
Birdie Poster

Postby mkane on Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:55 am

If you pay for text messages then don't open them, call someone who gets them for free. 80/20 rule, 80 percent of the users don't pay for them. The other 20 percent have the option not to open them.

Here is the key item; communication is paramount.

I am thinking for an event:
If you are a TD and supporting cast, communication via texting groups will keep the key people up to date with any changes. Combining this with the Dry Erase Board idea, any Bumps in the road can be addressed and fixed. You can even do Two minute warnings and starts with strategically placed cards on the sending list. As long as the TD or his supporting cast, knows how to use these functions on the phone.

Key factors here are simple, most of our members want to play and have fun and win stuff. They don't want to hear or see politics, they want to have fun, lets move in the fun direction.
mkane
Ace Poster

Return to Club Announcements & Discussion