recommended course for visitor?

a forum for talking about Disc Golf in St. Louis and Beyond

recommended course for visitor?

Postby astrowolf67l on Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:33 am

Hello, my family and I are coming to St. Louis for a few days this week, and, would like to squeeze in a round if time and weather permit. We will be staying at La Quinta Inn on Lackland, and would like to find a course close by. As for our skill level, we have only been playing for 3 months, so, we aren't looking for a technical course full of trees and water hazards. Also, are there any places that carry a good selection of discs and equipment? Our local choices are very limited, and, the couple of retailers that keep stock, only stock Innova. I'd like to check out some other mfg's, especially Gateway.

Thanks,
David
astrowolf67l
Bogey Poster

Re: recommended course for visitor?

Postby Golfer X on Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:59 pm

Your hotel puts you remarkably close to both Gateway Disc Sports new location and Creve Coeur Park Disc Golf Course which, while flat and not overly technical, is a very very very long course.

http://www.gdstour.com/

http://www.co.st-louis.mo.us/parks/creve.html
Golfer X
Par Poster

Postby astrowolf67l on Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:02 pm

Thanks for the info. Creve Couer looks to be a good place for us. I particularly like the chance to let some long bombs loose. My favorite hole at our local course (9 hole, 3 wooded, the rest wide open) in Mayfield KY is a 553 ft. par 3. And, I didn't realize we'd be staying so close to Gateway. Do they have a store front? I'd love to get my hands on a Diablo DT, and a Magic.

Thanks again,
David
astrowolf67l
Bogey Poster

Postby MADDISC on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:31 am

YES YOU WILL BE CLOSE TO GATEWAY THERE # IS 314 487 5204.
YOU CAN CALL TO GET INFO ON COURSES OR DISCS OR ANY THING DISC GOLF RELATED.
OR CALL ME MARK D AT 314-713-8640
MADDISC
Ace Poster

Postby astrowolf67l on Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:50 pm

Thanks for all the help! We found Gateway yesterday afternoon, bought some discs, and met some great folks. Late yesterday, we found Creve Couer, and it's a very nice course, but the lack of maps any where made it difficult to follow. We didn't play the whole course, and a few times, found ourselves going to the wrong basket, but still had fun. The wind made it near impossible for us to throw anything accurate considering our skill level, so, we tended to stay away from the road, and the fenced side next to the driving range. Hopefully next time we come to this area, we'll have more time for some disc golf.

David
astrowolf67l
Bogey Poster

Postby clanger on Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:58 am

The wind is always and most of the time a huge factor at Creve Couer. You caught us in the middle of reordering new score cards for the couses. They have maps on them and are usually in the mailbox at the KIOSK.
clanger
Par Poster

Postby HITMAN on Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:16 pm

clanger wrote:The wind is always and most of the time a huge factor at Creve Couer. You caught us in the middle of reordering new score cards for the couses. They have maps on them and are usually in the mailbox at the KIOSK.

We have been trying to get a kiosk since Fritz was president. Cards are in the mail box on post at first tee.
HITMAN
Par Poster

Postby clanger on Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:08 pm

Maybe this KIOSK situation should be handled by our board member that deals with the parks and brought up with our parks connection.
clanger
Par Poster

Postby REDARMY on Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:03 pm

HITMAN wrote:
clanger wrote:The wind is always and most of the time a huge factor at Creve Couer. You caught us in the middle of reordering new score cards for the couses. They have maps on them and are usually in the mailbox at the KIOSK.

We have been trying to get a kiosk since Fritz was president. Cards are in the mail box on post at first tee.

the park kiosk is there, we just need space to put a map in beside all of the other park info.

and when i was there 3 weeks ago, the mailbox was empty, as it apparently still was when these folks visited...
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby astrowolf67l on Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:18 am

We still had fun, and, learned just how weak my arm still is :lol: One suggestion, if I may, I noticed on dgcoursereview.com, that some of the courses have downloadable course maps. I think that's a great idea, for visitors planning to visit a course. A map can be printed and tossed into the bag.

Now that we realize St. Louis isn't that far away, and, we ran out of time to do all of the things we wanted to, we do plan to return more often. And, play some different courses each visit. Souix Passage, and Endicott seem to be the two candidates for our next trip, which will probably be some time after the first of the year.

David
astrowolf67l
Bogey Poster

Next

Return to General DG Talk