Roxana City Park: Roxana, Ill.

Roxana, IL

Re: LAKERS at Roxana City Park: Roxana, Ill.

Postby REDARMY on Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:36 pm

emptv wrote:Disc up golfers,

The LAKERS will be bringing our comedy troop to your course next Sunday at 09:00. See you there.

8-)

the 4th?

how bout we make a it a dual course thingamajig: play roxana and SIUE?

for my sake anyway that'll remove one of the three trips i need to make to play every st. louis course. all that'd be left is kircher/unger and quail ridge/moscow mills. (maybe i'd play JB on the way back since i'd KINDA still be going west to get home)

??
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Re: Roxana City Park: Roxana, Ill.

Postby kaht on Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:21 am

Unless you're just doing it for the sake of being able to say you've played all the courses, SIUE is really not worth your time. Roxana is 50 times better than the "course" in Edwardsville (and I use the term "course" very lightly here)
kaht
Par Poster

Postby REDARMY on Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:37 pm

kaht wrote:Unless you're just doing it for the sake of being able to say you've played all the courses, SIUE is really not worth your time. Roxana is 50 times better than the "course" in Edwardsville (and I use the term "course" very lightly here)

well, no.
of the 19 courses in the metro st. louis area (that i know of?), i knocked principa college off of my list since it's a private course.

i've played 11 of the other 18; if it really is popular opinion that siue isn't worth the trip, i'll gladly knock that off my list too.

but, the idea just got planted in my head to go play the headache bowl at woodland tomorrow then zip over to roxana for a quick 9 since i have a buddy that lives ~3 miles from woodland.....hmmm

we shall see....
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby kaht on Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:15 am

i've played 11 of the other 18; if it really is popular opinion that siue isn't worth the trip, i'll gladly knock that off my list too.

I would say that it is pretty safe to say that anybody that has played SIUE would agree that it's not worth the trip. Just to give you a quick review of the course:
1) Only 1 basket is over 300 feet (I know this doesn't matter to a lot of people, White Birch can be fun in a nostalgic kind of way, and it has 0 baskets over 300)
2) The first tee points directly at basket 2 which is only about 150 feet away. The actual basket for hole #1 is almost a 90 degree turn to the right of the tee. The tee is situated right next to sand volleyball court and the most direct route to the basket from the tee is directly over the court. There's a message on the sign not to throw over the court, so you must navigate thru a bunch of trees while not throwing at basket #2 or towards the volleyball court.
3) The course is very linear - it makes no sort of loop at all. After you have finished hole 9 you have a 1/4 mile walk back to hole #1 if you want to play it again.
4) Some of the holes come dangerously close to the housing complex, so the chance of hitting the building or a window is uncomfortably high.

of the 19 courses in the metro st. louis area (that i know of?), i knocked principa college off of my list since it's a private course.

I actually played with 2 guys at Endicott this past summer that were former students @ principia. They said that they had heard from friends at the college that the baskets had been sold off and that the course no longer exists. I'm not claiming that to be a fact - it's just what I've heard.

On a side note, I wonder why that course was ever listed in the PDGA directory. The way I see it, if you advertise a course on the directory, even if it's private, you are welcoming people to come and play it. If it's listed as private, some degree of permission should be involved to play - that's understandable. However, Principia college itself is locked down like a prison. Unless you have family that attends the college, you work there, or you sneak in, you're not going to get inside the gate.
kaht
Par Poster

Postby keller1217 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:55 pm

Correct, the baskets from Principia were sold to Rock Spring Park, Alton. They sold us 12 baskets (Discatchers) and they are now installed at The Rock. The other 6 baskets complete the 18.
keller1217
Bogey Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:39 pm

So the Principia baskets are now at Alton, that's very interesting. And your right about Principia being locked down like a prison & that they wouldn't let you in there, believe me I tried!! :roll: As far as SIUE goes, I think it just depends on how serious you are about trying to play all the courses in the area! Yes, the course isn't that great, the design is kind of a joke(hole # 1 is just stupid), but I've played much worse courses!! The most frustrating thing about SIUE is that when you look at the available land, there is absolutely NO DOUBT that a positively KILLER COURSE COULD HAVE happened there! I'm guessing that all of that area you see as your driving to the course is part of the colleges' property. Anyway, I guess we're really drifting from talking about Roxana now, aren't we?? :) But, this IS under Illinois courses, right?? :?:
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby BubbaKick on Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:20 am

I've never checked with SIUE, so I don't know this for sure. However, I have approached several colleges about installing disc golf courses. Basically, colleges are interested in student-driven projects. I know that if the local college here was given a proposal from John Houck to design and install a championship 18-hole course free but also had a proposal for a student-designed course from some kid who had been playing disc golf for a month and had only played at Sunset Hills, the decision would be easy for them...they would go with the student-designed course every time. For the college it's all about the learning process for the students, and less about how much the outcome sucks.

If I was really serious about re-designing the SIUE course, I'd be looking for a student to be my front man to make the proposal as his idea and design.
BubbaKick
Par Poster

Postby REDARMY on Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:10 pm

i'll be at roxana around 1pm or so to play a couple rounds if anyone is interested.

cell # is in the announcements section.
REDARMY
Ace Poster

;>) THE TRAVELING LAKER LEAGUE at Roxana City Park: Roxana,

Postby emptv on Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:02 pm

Disc up,
We're baaack. Ladies & gentlemen, put away your animals and hide your children as the THE TRAVELING LAKER LEAGUE will be coming to a disc golf course in your area on Sunday, April 19, 2009. We have been here before and we love the reception as aces were handed out and the course was ours alone. We would love to have a group to entertain & engage with.
Come out & have fun.

8-)
Fly long & prosper!
Bruce C.
The Traveling LAKERS
E-mail: TravelingLAKERS@hotmail.com
Lake Saint Louis, 63367
Cell # 314-606-3475
emptv
Ace Poster

Roxana City Park: Roxana, Ill.

Postby emptv on Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:17 pm

Disc up,
LAKERS will be there Sunday, August 30,2009 at 09:00am for some unabashed fun.

8-)
Fly long & prosper!
Bruce C.
The Traveling LAKERS
E-mail: TravelingLAKERS@hotmail.com
Lake Saint Louis, 63367
Cell # 314-606-3475
emptv
Ace Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Roxana Community Park