Drop Zone on 18

Florissant, MO

Drop Zone on 18

Postby magic on Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:14 pm

I played here yesterday for the first time in a while. Supposedly the drop zone was there the last time I was out there, but don't remember for sure. Anyways, I just wanted to know what is the point of having a drop zone on that hole and if it is always played in leagues and tournaments? Also why would a drop zone be put on that hole and not the other holes on the course with OB? I have played many courses with OB and have never seen something like that.

And I'm not bitter just because it cost me my tag...OK, maybe I am! Really though I'm not all that worried about the tag, it was a great day of golf. I was just hoping to get a better reason for the drop zone other then "just because". I do think OB's should be played the same at every course though and see no reason to put a drop zone on one hole "just because" the course captain thought it would be cool or something like that. If there is a safety or speed of play issue I could maybe understand, but didn't see that coming into play on this hole. Thanks.
magic
Ace Poster

Re: Drop Zone on 18

Postby raymandisc on Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:49 pm

The drop zone is used for a couple of reasons. One, to increase the speed of play. I've played a round with someone who threw 3 shots OB on hole 18 before we did the drop zone. He not only was lying 6 throwing 7 from the tee, we all had to find his three erant throws. Second, reason I would say is to not over penalize a player. I've played many drop zones in my days. Hope this helps.
"I want a name when I loose. They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me DFL"
raymandisc
Birdie Poster

Postby Jorge on Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:20 pm

So much for the drop zone because someone on our card, I won't say Jeree's name, threw OB 3 times, twice from the drop zone.

Suck it up Andy, you can't always win. I'm coming for your tag on Thursday.

Jorge
Jorge
Par Poster

Postby magic on Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:30 pm

I'm not quite buying the speed of play issue. My only experience was this one round and from what happened on our card it slowed it down if anything due to shots from the drop zone ending up OB. Then again tee shots that went OB right off the tee did get to throw from the drop zone, so kind of hard to tell. And I'm not so sure on the penalizing issue either due to a player on the card going OB off the tee shot then twice more from the drop zone for a triple circle 10.

I have played drop zones on mandatories where there is one obstacle that must be passed correctly. A 400' OB line is a bit different then a mandatory though. There are also many holes at SP and at other courses where the OB is pretty similar. Why put a drop zone on this one hole? Ray did say he has played drop zones before on OB's, but in my somewhat limited experience I have never seen this happen before.

I really am not trying to make a big deal out of it, but in my honest opinion I do think it is stupid. And with the way I throw I don't normally even go over the OB. My tee shot ended up pretty close to the drop zone. It was my uproach shot that came about 2' short of clearing the OB and then having to re-tee from the drop zone. If I had know the course a little better I probably wouldn't have to worry about the OB. So even though Jorge would like to disagree, it really isn't just about me and the one time it came to bite me in the ass.

FYI, don't be surprised to see a bunch of signs posted at Quail Ridge next time you play there altering the way holes are played, "just because" I want to...hahahahahaha!!!
magic
Ace Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:32 pm

I think the main reason why there is a drop zone on hole # 18 at Sioux is because there simply was a previous tee area there. That drop zone spot for a brief time was hole # 18's tee. And that also explains why there aren't other drop zones on the course. I think THE REAL PROBLEM with the hole is that the "native grass" or whatever you want to call that stuff that we play O.B. , runs TOO FAR down the hill on hole # 18. And unfortunately, there probably isn't anything we can do about it! :evil:
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby Robbins on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:04 pm

In my opinion, I happen to like the drop zone... Although I do not throw from it often... If you hit OB with your tee shot... you could just re-tee if you have something to prove. The shot from the drop zone is moderately difficult but fair, its certainly better than throwing from where your disc crossed into the OB. Also, I think most players should be able to 3 the A pin throwing two Buzz/Roc shots down the left side. Or you can throw two thumber shots to get the 3.
Sometimes I wonder why the Frisbee is getting bigger...and then it hits me.
Robbins
Bogey Poster

Postby clanger on Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:06 am

I like to throw down the road on 18. When it works I end up on the narrow strip of grass inbetween the tall grass and the road with an easy hyzer to the pin. Making the next shot for the 3 is another story. When my drive ends up OB because of the road I mark it somewhere in that strip of grass, depending on the spot, take my penalty stroke and still have a good chance to 4 the hole. Again, another story. But once my drive went down the road then skipped good enough to jump the strip of grass and land a foot into the tall grass. So do I have to go the drop zone or can I use the OB road for my spot?

Personally, I think landing in the tall grass is it's own punishment. Once your in there you will not have a runup for your next shot making it extremely hard if not impossible to par the hole. If you adhere to the time limit alloted for searching for a disc speed of play would not be a factor. Besides if anyone on the card is paying attention you should be able to walk right to it.
clanger
Par Poster

Postby scorekeeper on Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:55 am

i believe the drop zone on 18 is a good idea with the simple fact most throws go out of sight when they crest the hill,So the drop zone does help speed up play . I will clean out the D.Z. sometime this week. If anyone has issues with S.P. I am all ears . Pins will be moved soon thanks :D :mrgreen: PEACE
MKPH #1 KREWE in STL. R .C. F. 2014 TAG # 411
Illinois Chain Gang # ?
FUN METER #1
scorekeeper
Birdie Poster

Postby listen4chains on Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:18 am

Actually, I thought you were all HAIR..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is short, make the most of every opportunity you get to do the right thing, even when it would be easier to just say "Screw it, I don't care." Make a difference, one opportunity at a time. Smile!
listen4chains
Birdie Poster

Postby ScottGalvin on Fri May 01, 2009 9:09 am

The Park guys got the fairway wrong for that hole. We (or should I say YOU scorekeeper) cannot cut a landing area in it. They do not want people destroying it by looking for several discs. The drop zone works. Whoever threw OB from there deserves the strokes, sorry but you do. I deserved the strokes I took when I threw back into it since I was pissed about coming up short on my drive and it affected my shot from the DZ. Throw your putter off the tee to the DZ and save at least 1 stroke if you must.
ScottGalvin
Bogey Poster

Next

Return to Sioux Passage Park