Rock Springs Park Alton Il

Alton, IL

Re: Rock Springs Park Alton Il

Postby STARFIRE on Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:17 am

This course is amazing!! I love it when your disc touches chains on a new basket, just something magical about playing a new course....Anyway, I think the course is very challenging and scenic. The pin placements are perfect! Great work to all who helped put this course on the map! Let's keep these courses rollin'. How about a Rock Spring course tourney-fundraiser...I'm in!

Unger's almost finished folks(I know it's a MO course but I'm excited, excuse me...lol)
RCF #34
JCS #7
SCC #43
SICG #12
PDGA #33428
STARFIRE
Ace Poster

Postby raymandisc on Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:45 pm

I finally got out to play this one. She is tough. There are very few "easy" twos. The majority of the holes you almost play for a three. I think nine and one other hole is a par four. Greens are especially tough. Some holes are at the edge of a cliff. Some have no way to the basket. This will most likely change when holes get cleaned up. Especially hole eleven, twelve and a few more.

The course is fun, challenging and just plain hard. And this is from the tee signs. I think if you shoot in the 50's your pretty happy.

What is the best round out here?
"I want a name when I loose. They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me DFL"
raymandisc
Birdie Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:31 am

I've gotten in four rounds(all from the short tees) & the best score I've managed was a 58. I agree with you Ray, most holes your just playing(and hoping) for a 3, or in the case of two or three holes, a 4.
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby rondisc on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:31 pm

I have not played this yet, but I guarentee you the lanes will open up with more play. The needed underbrush yes, ANY trees no, other, than the NEEDED ones yes. CANNOT WAIT TO PLAY IT, hopefully in the next 10 days. The less trees you take out the better.

Peace
"Such a long long time to be gone, and a short time to be there."
rondisc
Ace Poster

Postby rondisc on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:33 pm

Also after you play 100 rounds on the course, I bet your thoughts will be different ;)

Peace
"Such a long long time to be gone, and a short time to be there."
rondisc
Ace Poster

Postby kaht on Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:04 am

The only issue I have with this course so far is the footing. Many of the tees are on very unlevel ground and it is difficult to get a good rip.
kaht
Par Poster

Postby raymandisc on Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:44 pm

My first time out I shot a 60 from the tee signs. This was the Friday after Christmas. It was really slick in that we had frozen ground thawing on top. Really slick. I met up with Jeff W. and Mark B. We had a guy slip and mess up both knees. Mark and I had to lift him into his truck. His wife drove him to the hospital, which is conveinently right next to the course. I hope he's OK.

Was hoping we would play the headache bowl here.
"I want a name when I loose. They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me DFL"
raymandisc
Birdie Poster

Postby REDARMY on Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:41 pm

raymandisc wrote:My first time out I shot a 60 from the tee signs. This was the Friday after Christmas. It was really slick in that we had frozen ground thawing on top. Really slick. I met up with Jeff W. and Mark B. We had a guy slip and mess up both knees. Mark and I had to lift him into his truck. His wife drove him to the hospital, which is conveinently right next to the course. I hope he's OK.

seconded.

even if it's just woodchips as a temp solution until (if?) concrete goes in, some sort of traction would make the course MUCH more pleasant to play.

by the way, have the downed trees at 11 been removed yet?

this course is as close to me as endicott, so i'd love to make it back out there again.
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:52 am

raymandisc wrote:My first time out I shot a 60 from the tee signs. This was the Friday after Christmas. It was really slick in that we had frozen ground thawing on top. Really slick. I met up with Jeff W. and Mark B. We had a guy slip and mess up both knees. Mark and I had to lift him into his truck. His wife drove him to the hospital, which is conveinently right next to the course. I hope he's OK.

Yeah Ray, it WAS real slippery, muddy, & messy out there last week! The guy who slipped & messed up his knees was Larry D., a real nice guy who I've met before at several tournaments. I felt really bad for him, he felt he might be out of commission for a while. Hopefully he's doing okay.
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby kaht on Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:17 am

by the way, have the downed trees at 11 been removed yet?

The trees were still there when I played this past Sunday (2008-12-27). I played the hole a little bit differently this time though. Instead of trying to go up on the hill and around, I just tossed a putter 100 feet ahead into the opening and then a thumber over all the crap to get up close to the basket. It worked out somewhat nicely. Saturday was the day we had the big rain, so going out on Sunday probably wasn't the best idea. Of all the holes, #11 was the most affected - it was pretty soupy on the fairway.
kaht
Par Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Rock Springs Park