Rock Springs Park Alton Il

Alton, IL

Re: Rock Springs Park Alton Il

Postby GALLOW1217 on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:39 am

FOUND: Blue Beast with name Phelps on it. No phone number. Found on hole 5, I think.

Call if this one is yours: 618-420-5196 Mark
GALLOW1217
Bogey Poster

Postby dehaas on Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:10 pm

i got a chance to throw out at alton on monday and it's the first time i've been out there in a while. i didn't know what to think of the fallen tree cleared off of hole 11's fairway. it makes that tee shot a lot easier. i also notoiced there was some brush cleared out on hole 12 near the basket, and the lower limbs trimmed out in front of the basket on hole 16. the course is looking really nice, but a lot of the cleanup has made the holes easier. i was happy with my 58, but had a few bad tee shots that cost me some strokes and a dumb chain out that was all but in. it's my best round out there, but with the way that course is starting to look, i'm gonna make it out there more often. now it's just time to host some tourneys, so more people from the mo side get a chance to play it.
dehaas
Ace Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:07 pm

Was out there a couple of Sundays' ago, & got Bob W. out to Alton for the first time. In the past, everyone's first time seeing the course, seemed to be tough. But Bob shot a very solid 55 his first time playing Rock Spring. I shot a 58, which SHOULD have been at least a few better, but I had a LOUSY front nine! But a very good back nine. Anyway, yes, the course is looking pretty good for the most part, & probably playing a little easier, at least holes # 11 & # 12. It would be nice to see the grass get cut in spots like hole # 7, though. Definitely enjoyed Fast Eddie's afterward as well!!! It IS time to have a tournament there!
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby GALLOW1217 on Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:39 pm

I think the park took out the fallen tree on 11 after i trimmed it up. They got back there to cut the tree and leave some ruts but they wont go back to cut the grass, i dont get it. Sorry, my dad got a little out of control cutting the fallen limb on 12 and cut a path to the hole. The park says the mower is too big to get back to cut 7. We also had donations for concrete in the works but the park is not into the crete right now and they bought some rubber pads we will try to install soon (after the bmx, 5k run event on Sept 12 thru out the park, weird).

Just a few updates for ya

Thanks

I think you are referring to the bottom of the pines (cedars) cut on 15. They do that so bugs wont get to the trees. From what i was told.
GALLOW1217
Bogey Poster

Postby dehaas on Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:09 pm

yeah, you're right, it was hole 15. it's definitenly looking good though, the bit that got trimmed looks nice. i hadn't really played it in a few months, so a lot of the holes were filled with summertime growth and have tightened up.
dehaas
Ace Poster

Postby irwinje on Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:21 pm

LOST: Pink Champion Wraith
WHERE: Hole 10 on the left (I guess)
name and number are on the disc
Reward available for the safe return of my favorite Wraith
Time to get serious about having fun
irwinje
Ace Poster

Postby GALLOW1217 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:08 pm

Check that. The concrete is a GO now. If the weather holds up, you will see it within 2 weeks.

Thank you, Tim Campbell (attorney) for the concrete donation. Concrete will be put in by the tee signs.

The Park Dept. is going to put in the other tees. The tees behind the tee signs.

Also the Kiosk may be on the way soon. Progress as promised. Slowly but surely...
GALLOW1217
Bogey Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:22 pm

GALLOW1217 wrote:Check that. The concrete is a GO now. If the weather holds up, you will see it within 2 weeks.

Thank you, Tim Campbell (attorney) for the concrete donation. Concrete will be put in by the tee signs.

The Park Dept. is going to put in the other tees. The tees behind the tee signs.

Also the Kiosk may be on the way soon. Progress as promised. Slowly but surely...

This is awesome news!! :D This course DEFINITELY needs concrete pads, so that you'll have a flat, decent surface to tee from. Been playing there a lot recently, & enjoying the course more & more! 8-)
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby dehaas on Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:01 pm

that's definitely good news...now we just need a tournament or two out there. i really think a doubles tourney of some sort would be a lot of fun.
dehaas
Ace Poster

Postby DISC N JEFF on Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:07 pm

what about the 1st annual MIKE BEMIS charity drive. its never to late. we could still have it this year after the tee pads are done. then next year have it on may 9 weather permitting.

I cant wait to play the rock from pads that will make a major difference in play for everbody. right know there is a couple holes that are pretty difficult mainly because of the dirt tee pads are up, down, or on the side of a hill.

jeff
DISC N JEFF
Bogey Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Rock Springs Park