Measuring distances on our St. Louis Courses

Maintenance, Improvements, Design, and Other Misc. Course Topics

Measuring distances on our St. Louis Courses

Postby gottagothrow on Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:29 pm

I am not sure if you all know me, but I am a geek in a lot of things/ways. I am actually a GIS tech and geospatially "educated."

I have in the past provided maps to the RCF for things such as the St. Louis Open and course maps. (although, non of them are being used today due to the site issues last year).

Recently, I acquired a Laser Range Finder (as well as a borrowed one).
A GPS unit might also be used. (my own).

What I propose, is that I schedule a time with the course captian(s) (and Club officers, if they want to join us) to walk through ALL St. Louis courses (over a period of time of course) to accurately measure each hole, IE every pin position, from the tee pad(s), and to/between key features, such as OB lines, tree lines, tunnel shots etc.

I have high hopes of making better maps of these courses for our site, as well as our program used for tourneys (such as the St. Louis Open).

But at the VERY least, we can get accurate measurements on our current courses many configurations in a database. We can then use this database to print scorecards for each course.
(I know several of the complaints I heard from the Open were inaccurate distances printed up and different pin positions).

I bought the Range Finder myself, and am willing to donate my time and effort for this purpose, but it would require the local Course captains to:

A) Meet me at their course
B) Walk through their course with me to show different pin/tee locations etc etc
C) Help me to an extent by standing on the tee pad while I shoot "back" at them to measure, or stand at the basket locations, middle of the fairway for doglegs etc etc.

The time required to do this for each course is yet to be determined, but I suspect it would take about twice as long as actually playing each course.

I know we are all volunteers and time is important, so if the captains can't meet me, I can go on my own and "hope" I measure all the pad/basket locations. (I do NOT know all the local courses, nor even been to a few of them.)

I hope that by doing this, we can somewhat standardize the way we measure distances on the courses.

BTW, I may be able to use the range finder to calculate elevation differences between the tee pads and the baskets.

Perhaps this winter I can also use my GPS and accurate aerial photos to get the general locations of the tee pads and the predominate "Green" areas (pin locations) as well as major features such as shelters, hazards, OBs etc etc in order to better facilitate the map making process. I know the GPS isn't as good, but with the range finder numbers as well as my local knowledge of the few courses I do know, we can make decent maps. Again, this is an eventual and hopeful end product as my time is limited.
(I know, just like everyone's).

Can I get thoughts on this? Would the captains be available and willing to help out? Should I not bother with this? (At least for the public use, I am a geek and will likely do a lot on my own regardless of outside influence or help.)

Are there (would there) be concerns with me doing any of this? Please provide input/ideas/suggestions before I get out there and start this endeavor.

Thanks,
Dan
Remember, there is no disc.
http://stlouisdiscgolfclub.com/
Tag # 1 (in my imaginary world)
PDGA # 26478 rating 935
38.517136°N, 090.280311°W
gottagothrow
Birdie Poster

Re: Measuring distances on our St. Louis Courses

Postby magic on Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:42 pm

Dan, I absolutely would be interested in doing this. Kind of ironic that Jorge was out there this past weekend measuring the walking path with a wheel and the talk turned to measuring the holes with a wheel since almost every distance on the tee signs seems to be wrong. Unfortunately a wheel wouldn't work with the elevation changes at QR. A laser range finder sounds perfect.

I am pretty swamped right now with the final night of league, the Clobber this Sunday and the fall league starting the following Tuesday. If we can schedule something around late August or early September I'm certainly up for it. It would be nice to know the true distances on all the holes!
magic
Ace Poster

Postby rondisc on Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:47 pm

Dan,
I am totally interested in doing this. Definitely when the leaves are off the trees so we can use a bright orange disc for true distances. Either Endi and or JB is fine with me. No need to play just work w/phones to record distances and marks.

Ron
"Such a long long time to be gone, and a short time to be there."
rondisc
Ace Poster

Postby Shoe on Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:44 pm

Dan,

I'd also be willing to help with JB, Endicott, or JB. I know most of those courses as well and I also have some experience surveying as I'm a Civil Engineer nerd. I'm actually finishing up my summer semester this Friday, so I will be available most evenings until late August. Let me know if you need any help.

Shoe
Shoe
Bogey Poster

Postby Jorge on Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:04 pm

Shoe wrote:Dan,

I'd also be willing to help with JB, Endicott, or JB.

Shoe

This message brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.

Sorry, but this Mechanical Engineer can't resist a chance to give crap to a CE.
Jorge
Par Poster

Postby gottagothrow on Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:16 am

I really must be a geek, as when I saw "CE" I thought circular error... sighh...

Thanks for the offers guys. I hope to be out next week practicing and such...
If I get a schedule ready (nothing set, just ideas) I will let you know.

I will likely do JB or JB 1st (sorry, couldn't resist), then Endi. That's it for now.

Thanks again,
DD
PDGA # 26478 rating 935
gottagothrow
Birdie Poster

Postby Shoe on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:18 pm

gottagothrow wrote:I really must be a geek, as when I saw "CE" I thought circular error... sighh...

Thanks for the offers guys. I hope to be out next week practicing and such...
If I get a schedule ready (nothing set, just ideas) I will let you know.

I will likely do JB or JB 1st (sorry, couldn't resist), then Endi. That's it for now.

Thanks again,
DD

Sounds good, shoot me a PM if you decide on a time.
Shoe
Bogey Poster

Postby gottagothrow on Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:10 am

PM Sent...

Here is my plan...

I am heading to JB this afternon (likely about 1pmish) for a bit to "test" out my
skills and techniques for my mission.
Anyone can join me if you like.

No worries as I am only testing/practicing methodologies and field testing
the device.

If any one is there, great. If not, no worries.
DD
PDGA # 26478 rating 935
gottagothrow
Birdie Poster

Postby gottagothrow on Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:24 pm

Bummer, work kept too late to head out to JB. Hope no one was there waiting on me.
Hopefully next week I can head out there.
DD
PDGA # 26478 rating 935
gottagothrow
Birdie Poster

Postby listen4chains on Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:47 pm

Millenium (john houck's company) makes these really awesome course signs, that were in use at most of the Kansas City area courses like Swope, Cliff Drive, and Prairie Center, and if you get all those distances correctly identified these signs would eliminate alot of problems, as they had all placements and distances and possible obstacles clearly identified from the tee box!

KC makes STL look weak, but we are on our way, I hope. Ask anyone who went to Worlds, they'll agree, KC HAS IT GOING ON! Over twenty area courses, and designed well, too! Amazing, really.
Life is short, make the most of every opportunity you get to do the right thing, even when it would be easier to just say "Screw it, I don't care." Make a difference, one opportunity at a time. Smile!
listen4chains
Birdie Poster

Next

Return to General Course Chat