Quail Ridge 2009 Summer League

Wentzville, MO

Re: Quail Ridge 2009 Summer League

Postby magic on Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:26 am

I have just received confirmation that the course WILL BE CLOSED on Tuesday for the final night of league! I'm still working on getting it closed every night, but at least it's a start.
magic
Ace Poster

Postby gflap on Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:45 am

Looking for beverage confirmation. What's it going to be, cap'n Klank?
gflap
Birdie Poster

Postby magic on Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:16 pm

Flapper, I assume you are referring to confirmation on the adult beverages. There is bad news, good news and then great news.

Bad news - O'fallon Brewery will not be donating a keg.
Good news - There will be the equivelant of a keg of beer free of charge.
Great news - We have received confirmation that O'fallon Brewery will be donating a keg of beer for the fall league free of charge.

There will be water, lemonade and soda available for those that are not of age or those that don't prefer to drink beer.
magic
Ace Poster

Postby Jorge on Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:48 pm

I think W.B. gflap is offering to buy a keg. I'd give him $5.
Jorge
Par Poster

Postby magic on Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:37 pm

I have been told that Dennis DeJong with the parks department will be out to observe the final night of league for a bit. He is the Assistant Director and basically second in command. His presence could go a long way in determining the future of disc golf in our area. Personally I think there are a great group of individuals that play in league and we have nothing to worry about, but please try to be on your best behavior and use a bit of good judgement. Thanks.
magic
Ace Poster

Postby listen4chains on Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:48 pm

please, please read my post called 'sobering occurence', PLEASE!
Life is short, make the most of every opportunity you get to do the right thing, even when it would be easier to just say "Screw it, I don't care." Make a difference, one opportunity at a time. Smile!
listen4chains
Birdie Poster

Postby Working Stiff on Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:03 pm

magic wrote:I have been told that Dennis DeJong with the parks department will be out to observe the final night of league for a bit. He is the Assistant Director and basically second in command. His presence could go a long way in determining the future of disc golf in our area. Personally I think there are a great group of individuals that play in league and we have nothing to worry about, but please try to be on your best behavior and use a bit of good judgement. Thanks.
This is pretty huge for you guys. Dennis DeJong has a large influence over what that department does, and we are talking about a department with gigantic tracks of undeveloped land perfect for disc golf. The mission statement of the department calls for most of that land to remain undeveloped open space, but they have enough wiggle room to develop several championship disc golf courses in that system if it was a priority to them. That it has not been on their radar up to this point goes back to how disc golf is promoted to the parks and recreation industry, or more accurately how it is NOT promoted to the parks and recreation industry. Dennis DeJong is a man who is one of the leaders of his profession in the St. Louis area, a man who had forgotten more about parks and recreation than we will ever know, and yet what he is going to see is a complete mystery to him. Parks and recreation people mostly don't get disc golf, and a lot of the blame for that comes back to us and the ineffective ways we promote the sport to them.

This is an big opportunity for disc golf is St. Charles. It is an opportunity to get past the stereotype of who disc golfers are and show him a regular group of over 100 people competing in a disc golf league. It's an opportunity to show him that disc golf is something his department can no longer ignore and the demand for more courses in the St. Charles system is legitimate. QR has to be one of the top 5 largest disc golf leagues in the country right now, and the work that has been done to promote disc golf at QR has resulted in one of the busiest courses around. It's time for that to start paying off. Good luck to you all with this.
Working Stiff
Birdie Poster

Postby magic on Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:53 pm

Working stiff couldn't have said it better. Dennis really could make or break what happens with disc golf in St. Charles County going forward. I wish I had more time to get some face to face time with him, but unfortunately I will be pretty busy getting everything set up. I am taking off a half day of work tomorrow, so I'm going to try and get up there early in order to have more time. I was hoping that he would be around for the awards ceremony, but it sounds like he plans on being up there before we start. Might be a good thing though before we tap the keg! I know a lot of people don't even read this message board, so please do whatever you can to pass the information along. If he is still there when we do a quick player's meeting before the round starts I will be sure to thank him for taking the time to see what we are all about. Again though, please just be aware that he will be up there.
magic
Ace Poster

Postby magic on Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:35 pm

To anyone that happens to see this before tomorrow:

There is rain in the forecast, but there is about a 0% chance of league being canceled. It would take a tornado for me to reconsider! There is too much planned in advance for me to try and carry it over a week. The fall league does need to start the following week for us to finish in daylight. What do I care anyways, I'm not playing! I may consider in the future always leaving a break week open for the final week in case of bad weather, but that is something that will be considered in the future.

A light rain and everyone will be playing. Anything worse and I'll just have to see what happens. Make sure to bring a set of dry clothes. I will be calling the parks dept in the morning and see about getting the shelter near holes 3 and 6 since it is larger. It will only be used in case of bad weather and I will have something posted at the normal shelter if that's the case. For those that never check this board it shouldn't be too hard to figure out that if the normal parking lot is empty, but the one 200 yards away is full that is where you need to go.

I have run the final night of league before where a torrential downpour came in right when everyone was finishing up and we didn't have lights. Everything still worked out OK and it will again this time. I'll see everyone out there tomorrow.
magic
Ace Poster

Postby JakeDaSnake on Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:15 pm

I like playin' in the rain! :mrgreen:
JakeDaSnake
Bogey Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Quail Ridge Park