New Leauge At Rock Springs

Alton, IL

Re: New Leauge At Rock Springs

Postby drewm7 on Thu May 07, 2009 8:52 pm

I did ask for suggestions. And I got a lot of them. So don't think that I just picked a day and went with it because that's what I wanted. If anyone want's to play during the week you can go play at collinsville. They play on Sundays and Wednesdays.
drewm7
Bogey Poster

Postby sharkbite on Fri May 08, 2009 9:04 am

Ok, I approached my last post wrong because I was a little frustrated. I should have said somthingh like this:

I believe a weekday league would be better for these reasons:

1. Tournaments are held on weekends, meaning people are out of town.

2. If have a league in the middle of a Sat for two rounds, you've lost your whole day

3. People have families and have to do baseball, soccer, & whatever, all of which are on weekends

4. You'll have a more consistent turn out from good golfers on the weekday

5, Good golfers are looking for some competition & practice during the week to get ready for there tournament on the weekend.

6. Money talks, and that is what will draw golfers, cold hard cash. Not plastic which most of us have to much of anyways.

7. It's cooler weather in the evening vs the middle of the day on a Sat.

The long and short of it, I really believe there will be a better turn out if it is held during the week vs the middle of the day on Sat. I guess there always can be two leagues though, I just thought being this is a new course we could get some feed back from other golfers on what works best for them. I live 5 min away and I'm ready to dive in with both feet on this course but you guys have to be open to suggestions and let people help. I don't care if it's about mandos, leagues, alt pin placement, whatever.

Lets make this course a role model for others and somthing Alton can be proud of. I've played over 100 different courses all over the US, made baskets, promoted disc golf in every way I know how and think I can help.
"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left"
sharkbite
Bogey Poster

Postby rg520bike on Fri May 08, 2009 9:34 pm

i disagree. I work nights and would love to have local have fun sat league.
rg520bike
Bogey Poster

Postby REDARMY on Sat May 09, 2009 12:57 am

from my seat (knowing nothing of the particulars of this league yet) i don't think doing it during the week is a good idea since there are so many established leagues at different courses here in st. louis that may draw your potential players away. (not to mention collinsville)

however, sharkbite has equally valid point as well, most of which i agree with.

i'd suggest contacting whoever runs the collinsville gig and seeing if the two of you can arrange a schedule that will appease both groups.
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby listen4chains on Sat May 09, 2009 4:28 pm

Why don't you start an ALTERNATING LEAGUE ON SATURDAYS OR FRIDAYS? NOBODY IS DOING FRIDAYS. You could do 1st Saturday or Friday: Collinsville; second Saturday/Friday: Roxana 2 rounds reds/whites or whatever they are called? front/back; and the third Saturday/Friday: Rock Spring in Alton; and the final Saturday/Friday of the month would be Jefferson Barracks so that THE MOST PLAYED COURSE BY GOOD PLAYERS IN YOUR AREA will get involved, and you play singles or random draw doubles like Ben Hart does so well at Creve Couer Park every Wednesday...

I guarantee you that many top players in this region would be interested in this! The likelihood that you will have alot of folks wanting to do something like this and attend some of these throughout the summer is ENORMOUS!!! Fridays are NOT TAKEN BY ANYONE, and THIS WILL GIVE EVERYONE A VARIETY OF THE TOP 4 COURSES IN THAT COMBINED AREA.... please? A travelling set of 4 rotating courses? How excellent would that be? :D :D :D :D
Life is short, make the most of every opportunity you get to do the right thing, even when it would be easier to just say "Screw it, I don't care." Make a difference, one opportunity at a time. Smile!
listen4chains
Birdie Poster

Postby WoodRiverChainBanger on Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:18 pm

Did starting up a leauge at the rock get put on the back burner? The course is very playable,they were cutting more trees up on sat.
WoodRiverChainBanger
Bogey Poster

Postby drewm7 on Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:40 pm

The league was put off. We were waiting till the course got cleaned up and I have been talking with the parks department on keeping the course maintained a little better.
drewm7
Bogey Poster

Previous

Return to Rock Springs Park