What's your Favorite, the Best, and the Worst Courses in STL

a forum for talking about Disc Golf in St. Louis and Beyond

What's your Favorite, the Best, and the Worst Courses in STL

Postby Jorge on Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:42 am

I am always interested in people's favorite courses, as well which ones they think are the best and worst. Feel free to include ones outside of STL as well. After a lot of responses I'll tally them up and see how these courses in St. Louis compare to each other.

Favorite - Sioux Passage
Best - Sioux Passage
Worst - White Birch

Playing white birch after Sioux passage is the equivalent of playing a round of ball golf then playing miniature golf. Special considerations - Quail Ridge, just because it's my home course.
Jorge
Par Poster

Re: What's your Favorite, the Best, and the Worst Courses in STL

Postby Working Stiff on Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:20 am

Favorite - Endicott
Best - Sioux Passage
Worst - Watson Trail

Endicott is always in great shape when I go there, and the pins have a nice assortment of longs and shorts. Most everywhere else is usually set up long and longer. When I want to play a round that can be challenging AND fun, I go to Endicott.

Sioux Passage is just a fantastic course. It's beautiful out there. I used to drive up there twice a week when I lived in town even though that course killed me (I'm living proof that playing a tough course regularly DOES NOT necessarily make you a better player :o .) Adding the long grass OB has helped keep it challenging even as the discs have gotten longer. It's not a "top 25 in the Country" type of course like it was when it opened, but it is still a fabulous course.

Watson Trail is my worst pick. It's just not much to write home about. Kircher Park is probably the least challenging course in town do to it being short AND flat AND mostly open, but it is new and in good shape. Watson Trail is not much more challenging and kind of worn down. One thing I have learned after living in the Chicago area is that bad St. Louis disc golf ain't that bad. Watson Trail, Kircher and Schroeder are probably about as bad as it gets, and none of them are so bad as to be an embarrassment. I've seen A LOT worse than all three in places where they had no other options. So no matter what you think is the worst, trust me...it could be a whole lot worse.
Working Stiff
Birdie Poster

Postby gottagothrow on Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:01 pm

For St. Louis:

Most challenging: Endicott

Favorite course: JB (possibly due to it being my home course.)

Courses I want to play more: SP, Endicott and QR.

Courses I WANT to play, but haven't: Any course within 50 miles that isn't JB, Endi, SP, QR, CC, Watson, White B., and Kircher.

For USA:

Favorite Course, La Mirada, with a VERY close 2nd for those beautiful courses in Des Moines.

Courses I want to play: Winthrop Gold, De Leveaga (sp?) in California, and any Fly 18 course (disc golf on a ball golf course).
Remember, there is no disc.
http://stlouisdiscgolfclub.com/
Tag # 1 (in my imaginary world)
PDGA # 26478 rating 935
38.517136°N, 090.280311°W
gottagothrow
Birdie Poster

Postby magic on Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:57 pm

Favorite: Tie between SP and QR. Two completely different courses and enjoy what each of them has to offer.
Best: SP. I don't care what you do with a course, you can't compete with what mother nature gave you there.
Worst: Any of the 9 holers, take your pick.
Favorite out of town: Water Works in KC and Lemon Lake in Indiana. I can't wait to play some KC courses this weekend!
magic
Ace Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:17 pm

Favorites- Sioux Passage, Endicott, & J. B.

Best- probably Sioux & Endicott

Worst- that's a tough one, I'm going to venture away from STL (just a little) & say SIU-E & Litchfield, Ill.

Honorable mention- White Birch, my other home course (besides Sioux & Endi), mainly for it's historical importance!

Favorites outside of STL- must mention Foundation Park in Centralia, Ill., Banklick Woods in N. Kentucky, Tower Ridge in Eau Claire, Wis., Hudson Mills in Ann Arbor, Mich., Kaposia Park in St. Paul, Minn., & many, many others!

Best city in both quality & quantity- definitely Des Moines, there is probably at least four courses there that would make my favorite list! Ewing, Grandview, Walnut Ridge, Pickard, etc.! Also KC- Waterworks, Rosedale, & Peoria- Northwood Park, McNaughton, deserve mention! I could go on & on, but that's enough! :lol:
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby Jorge on Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:50 pm

Keep this up. This is great info, especially since I'm going to KC this weekend and now know what courses I need to check out.

On kind of another topic, the most beautiful thing I have ever seen on a disc golf course was sioux pass, hole 13, on the tee pad the very first time I played there, it was the fall, cool, but sunny, light wind, an 8 point buck darted behind to does (or doe's?) running straight across the fairway half way between the tee pad and the C pin location, running over towards hole 15, couldn't hear anything but the hooves hitting the ground and the buck grunting. It was a Kodak moment.
Jorge
Par Poster

Postby emoney on Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:28 pm

Favorite: Ouch cuz i don't play SP much so I'm liking Quail Ridge(new home coarse)

Best: Endicott for sure. I just love the long accurate drives. SP & CC need just an arm and really great upshot.

Worse: Bluebird! sorry but the expected roll down is a lil' too much

Would absolutely travel and play elsewhere. never even been to an ILL coarse.
Live Life and Laugh At Me
2013 RCF TAG#83
emoney
Birdie Poster

Postby DISC N JEFF on Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:32 pm

Favorite course is Jefferson Barracks. it is my home course which I play almost everyday. The course has a very nice layout. It has a little bit of everything from long drives to ace runs. Normally the course is pretty well maintained. Endicott is a very close runner up. It is very similiar to JB.

Best course by far is Sioux Passage. One of the most scenic courses in the area. Very large course with alot of monster holes. This course really will make you or break you.

Worst course would have to be Watson Trail. This nine hole course is basically a practice course that you can easily play with a putter and maybe a mid range. it really dont present that much of a challenge.
DISC N JEFF
Bogey Poster

Postby STARFIRE on Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:02 pm

STL

Favorite-Jefferson Barracks

Best-Sioux Passage

Worst-Bluebird

Jefferson Barracks is my home course and it has a lot of variety, elevation and challenging pin placements. It is the most popular course out of all of them in STL. ALways good turnouts at JB events.

Sioux is just Sioux and I need not say more!

Bluebird is the worst course out here, sure others are easier or more worn but this course just needs a facelift! Seriously! I know it probably would never happen but we should have a fundraiser to revive this course. Beautiful layout but the course could use some(a lot of)work. I really like this course we just need to step up and make it stand out. I think it's the best design for any 9 holer I've played. It just doesn't even look like a course, like UNGER!
RCF #34
JCS #7
SCC #43
SICG #12
PDGA #33428
STARFIRE
Ace Poster

Postby STARFIRE on Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:08 pm

Oh yeah, in Kearney, Nebraska there's a beautiful 18 hole course called Cottonmill Park. Best I've ever played, better than SIOUX even. The beauty of the scenery and the pin placements around the lake are just awe inspiring. Never forget that one...gotta go back soon!

Another one that's very cool: Lincoln, Nebraska's 27 Hole beauty of a course "Max Roper Park", which I believe is Nebraska's oldest course.
RCF #34
JCS #7
SCC #43
SICG #12
PDGA #33428
STARFIRE
Ace Poster

Next

Return to General DG Talk