Course ideas

Maintenance, Improvements, Design, and Other Misc. Course Topics

Course ideas

Postby STARFIRE on Fri May 22, 2009 10:02 pm

The course at Arnold Park is almost completely flat so I want to incorporate at least one elevated basket.

Any ideas on artificial elevation?

I seen a basket one time that was built up on railroad ties, you had to take two or three steps up to get your disc out.

I just need to know how to construct something like this...
RCF #34
JCS #7
SCC #43
SICG #12
PDGA #33428
STARFIRE
Ace Poster

Re: Course ideas

Postby forehand on Fri May 22, 2009 11:06 pm

STARFIRE wrote:The course at Arnold Park is almost completely flat so I want to incorporate at least one elevated basket.

Any ideas on artificial elevation?

I seen a basket one time that was built up on railroad ties, you had to take two or three steps up to get your disc out.

I just need to know how to construct something like this...

Bowling Green,KY Phil Moore Park Hole #9
TAG #1
forehand
Birdie Poster

Postby Working Stiff on Fri May 22, 2009 11:48 pm

Montezuma's Revenge, Morley Field.
Working Stiff
Birdie Poster

Postby Working Stiff on Fri May 22, 2009 11:52 pm

I forget where this was from. Someplace in Charlotte. Sugaw Creek, I think.
Working Stiff
Birdie Poster

Postby Working Stiff on Fri May 22, 2009 11:55 pm

This is the same idea, just less dramatic.
Working Stiff
Birdie Poster

Postby STARFIRE on Sat May 23, 2009 1:42 am

I am really interested in doing something I've never seen or heard of...Permanent 10 meter circles!!

What better way to teach people than with a permanent circle. If the circle's always there there'll be no need to question to jump or not to jump putt.

No more questioning if she or he is further away either.

Now, I just need a good idea for the materials. I was thinking...first paint the circle, then dig holes about one foot apart completely around the circle, deep enough to hold bricks. Paint the bricks for visibility and embed them in the ground low enough so you won't trip over them. The outer edge of the brick would be ten meters all the way around.

What do ya think? Too expensive? Not worth it? Awesome idea?

You tell me...
RCF #34
JCS #7
SCC #43
SICG #12
PDGA #33428
STARFIRE
Ace Poster

Postby disctosser on Sun May 24, 2009 10:47 am

Hey i haven't seen the park but what about a hanging basket or 2 ?
disctosser
Bogey Poster

Postby Working Stiff on Sun May 24, 2009 1:25 pm

STARFIRE wrote:I was thinking...first paint the circle, then dig holes about one foot apart completely around the circle, deep enough to hold bricks. Paint the bricks for visibility and embed them in the ground low enough so you won't trip over them. The outer edge of the brick would be ten meters all the way around.
Isn't the circumference of a 10 M putting circle over 200' around? I mean, 10 M is just short of 33', so the circle will have a diameter of around 65'. 65' X pi is 204'. At those numbers you would need over 1,800 bricks to do 9 putting circles. :o It would be somewhat less since the brick would take up 2" so you might be able to get away with 170ish bricks/circle. Thats still what, 1,530 bricks for 9 holes?

Even if you put a brick every 10' on the circles, you would need just short of 200 bricks. Sounds like a lot of work. They will have to be maintained as some will push up, some will sink down, some will have grass creep over them, etc. They will have to be painted every year. Sounds like even more work. Cool idea, but a lot of work.
Working Stiff
Birdie Poster

Postby emoney on Sun May 24, 2009 4:05 pm

Yeah i seen some pics not too long ago of a coarse that had some hanging baskets off some tree branches. Youtube maybe it was on. The perimeter thing is cool idea but that way seems like alot of work i agree. Maybe a heavy duty chain attached to a loose hung ring around the pole. That way it can spin and you can hold a link of the chain(of where your disc was), then go measure to other disc to see who is out. Maybe even if there is any kind of a revene put a basket at bottom. that way if you don't make it to the bottom its one hell of a down hill shot.
Live Life and Laugh At Me
2013 RCF TAG#83
emoney
Birdie Poster

Postby discfiend on Sun May 24, 2009 5:05 pm

Check out www.ncdgu.com. Look at the pics from the 2009 collegiate disc golf championships. I attended and they had several hanging baskets and elevated baskets. They even had one hanging from a gallows.
discfiend
Bogey Poster

Next

Return to General Course Chat