Tee pads, concrete style

Festus, MO

Tee pads, concrete style

Postby jmckee1147 on Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:51 am

It's been talked about... Folks have wanted them... They will make the course much nicer... They are in the planning stages.... Money has been raised.... the Festus Parks department is helping out.... Concrete tee pads anyone?

The JC Sharpshooters have been running a league at Jokerst to raise money for the improvement of Jefferson County courses. The first plan was for tee pads at Jokerst. We have them (the blue pads are a little short, nothing that won't be fixed in the future). The next idea is to get 36 tee pads at West City, long and short. Funding has been raised and parks department cooperation has been acquired. Adrian and others have recommended for such a long course that we need 4x12 pads and we will get them. Working with the parks department we need to mark out placement for the pads (exact locations) for approval for the city of Festus. The plan is to dig and form the pads up the first week in May. We need to have this done by the start of the second week in May. During the second week the Parks Department will assist in the laying of the concrete during normal parks department hours. This makes it hard for volunteers to make it during the week, that's OK, we appreciate the support anyway. Larry is willing to use Parks Department Equipment to move the concrete to the holes, this save hours of wheel barrel work and money spent on truck time from the concrete plant. We have have 2 finishers and could use some volunteers to skrete the concrete for the finishers. Volunteers to help dig and form up the pads would be nice also, we may try to do this on the weekend of the 9th. Keep in mind these are all tentative plans and may change, weather and all, plus we have to somewhat work with the city's schedule. We will have more details as the date get closer.

Thanks for all the support,
J
Make common sense common again
jmckee1147
Par Poster

Re: Tee pads, concrete style

Postby STARFIRE on Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:40 pm

That's right, Joe! Let's do this.

In the future hopefully, 2010 or 2011 we could hold a C-Tier there. Another idea I had, when Unger and West City are both ready(concrete tees, signs, etc.) Hold a B-Tier, one day in Fenton and the next day in Festus, sounds good huh? RCF and JCS co-sponsored?

By that time the new park in Arnold will be open(I'll be trying real hard to get a full 18 hole course in this new park slated for a 2010 opening, according to local newspapers) If that happens we could have three 18 hole courses for PDGA sanctioned events that we never used before.

Jefferson County needs more courses bottom-line & it will happen!
RCF #34
JCS #7
SCC #43
SICG #12
PDGA #33428
STARFIRE
Ace Poster

Postby discdork on Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:19 am

Joe you have my time whenever its needed for the course also adrian if theres any volunteers needed for help with construction of the arnold park let me know
johnnys in the basement mixin up the medicine im on the pavement thinkin about the goverment
discdork
Birdie Poster

Postby Lazerface on Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:32 pm

To whom it may concern,

My name is Jim Misuraca and one of you guys over there at West City pulled my red star Destroyer out of the pond and left a message on my voicemail about it. I lost it during the Valentine's Massacre. I really appreciate the lengths you took to get it back to me. I am unfamiliar with you guys for the most part so I can't put a name to a face. Although, I did forgot the name on the voicemail anyway. Anyway, if you have any info on my disc I would love to get it back before the St. Louis Open.

THANKS BIG TIME

I love your course and the GOOD people who play there.

Jim Misuraca
jmizz85@yahoo.com
(314)852-7149
AMERICA
STL TAG 4, SO IL TAG 1, ST CHUCK TAG ?, JC TAG NEEDED
Lazerface
Birdie Poster

Postby jmckee1147 on Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:33 pm

Jim,

Dave Garver is the one who has a massive rake concoction that he drags through the lake. Call me at 4:30 @314-276-5112 on Thursday afternoon and I will be able to get Dave for you.

J
jmckee1147
Par Poster

Postby jmckee1147 on Fri May 01, 2009 8:32 am

ATTENTION VOLUNTEERS

We have a couple of work dates figured out for the tee pads.

By Wednesday, May 6th, there needs to be painted squares(4'x12') on the ground for each pad placement. The Parks Department wants a finial OK on the concrete. ANY PAD PLACEMENT SUGGESTIONS NEED TO BE MADE BY THIS DAY.
-Some blues haven't been found(I think we are missing only one).
-Some may need to be moved due to current course improvements that weren't there when the course was designed.

On Thursday, May 7th, at 10:00AM, I will be there with tools and supplies to form the pads up. Most pads will not get completed this day, half would be nice, but unexpected.
-Strong backs and manual labor will be greatly appreciated

Then Saturday, May 9th, at 9:00AM, I will be there with tools and the rest of the supplies to complete setting the forms.
-More strong backs and manual labor. Gotta Get-r-done. Forms need to be completed.
-Last chance to voice an opinion on the pad placement

Upon the forms being ready, we are then at the Parks Department's mercy. The week of May 11th through the 15th, depending on weather, and the availability of the Parks Department, the concrete will get poured. Hopefully, as that week gets closer, we will be able to nail down a couple of days for the pour.

Hot dogs, hamburgers and water will be supplied on work days. Any questions, comments, or donations can be directed to Joe McKee, cell 314-276-5112.
jmckee1147
Par Poster

Postby discdork on Fri May 01, 2009 9:33 am

joe i will see you there thursday 10 am for sure did u get the wood for the forms? or do we need to take some from jokerst if im not there by ten call and wake me up dave r 314-570-0691
johnnys in the basement mixin up the medicine im on the pavement thinkin about the goverment
discdork
Birdie Poster

Postby jmckee1147 on Mon May 04, 2009 8:24 am

Dave r

We still need to get the forms from Jokerts park. I plan to do it on Tuesday. I will give ya a call before I head out there. I am trying to get some wood chips there at the same time as to get the tee pads mulched in. Do you have tools? Wheel barrel, shovel, other mulch moving items not listed? I am going to try to be there earlier than 10am, I will call.
Last edited by jmckee1147 on Mon May 04, 2009 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
jmckee1147
Par Poster

Postby jmckee1147 on Mon May 04, 2009 8:54 am

Tee Pad Placements for West City.

I played a round Sunday morning with the Sunday crew. This would be the folks to ask about pad placement, they are the ones who have been playing the course more than most.

Here are the pads we thought to move and reasons why.

Hole 1 Blue will be moved to the other side of the road, in bounds. This give the golfer a clear view down the road as to not hit oncoming cars and eliminates the need for a spotter. The distance will stay the same.

Hole 2 Red will only be a 10' pad. This saves material cost and keeps the golfer out of the brush. This is a short hole and 10' should be more than enough for this hole.

Hole 3 Red and Blue to be combined. There is an exercise station directly behind the hole. Also the red and blue are close enough that it doesn't really change the hole that much.

Hole 8 Blue is too be moved back. We could not find the markers for blue. Moving the blue back from the distance marked also makes the hole a different hole.

Hole 15 Blue is to be moved to the same side of the gravel as the Red. There is an RC car track down in the bottoms. If we move the Blue Tee pad then we can stay out of the RC guys way and give them a place to park out of our way. This will hopefully be a win/ win situation.

Hole 16 Blue is to be moved behind the Red. The Blue now is looking at a wall of vines and is only guessed on the location. The ground has been silted in by flooding.

All other tees have been located and will be used +/- a couple of feet. New tee placement will be close to the original sign distance as to not modify the length of the course.

ANY AND ALL COMMENTS ARE WELCOMED AND WILL BE DISCUSSED.

Thanks
J
jmckee1147
Par Poster

Postby discdork on Mon May 04, 2009 5:22 pm

no wheelbarrow but i can probally get the other stuff together see you tommarow at 10
discdork
Birdie Poster

Next

Return to West City Park