2009 Club Affiliate

RCF & other STL-area Clubs' News, Q & A, and Conversation

Re: 2009 Club Affiliate

Postby STARFIRE on Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:01 pm

irwinje wrote:Seems like a pretty sweet weekend/tournament to me...

Indeed it was...
RCF #34
JCS #7
SCC #43
SICG #12
PDGA #33428
STARFIRE
Ace Poster

Postby BubbaKick on Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:01 am

mkane wrote:I thought about the five bucks, Eric and I still am puzzled why you did not get that back. I missed last years(2008) club affiliate march C tier event. Then this year(2009) it was 35 bucks a day plus 45, wait per Eric 50 bucks, that is 120 bucks. The March C tiers tourneys used to be(in 2007) a PDGA affiliate drive and the cost was the PDGA membership plus the PDGA per cap cost to cover tourney fees, and that was the cost. For that you got in four rated rounds that knocked the rust off from the winter and you got a good start working toward the worlds and/or the Am Nationals or any other rate related events.
Apparently that(running events centered on the members welfare) is no longer the emphasis, that troubles me, however you had great turn out. I guess I'm as old fashioned as DX plastic, maybe someone could enlighten me how we let this opportunity for club members to save money turn into a cost more expensive than the St.Louis Open, then again maybe not, I just won't associate the March C-tiers with PDGA club affiliation.
There are two sides to this coin.

I hear you about how it used to be and the philosophy of using them as a Club Affiliate drive, which is a nice philosophy. However, once you sanction an event it ends up on the PDGA schedule, and people expect certain things from PDGA events. When I lived in Chicago I heard people complain about these events becasue of the payout. I saw some nasty things posted on the Springfield IL site last year about St. Louis and bad payouts, and the only response from the posting I put on the KC board this year for these events was this:
bensdadfred wrote:Nice to see you bumped up the entry this year! Maybe the payout will reflect.. Beating 15 other players and winning only 90$ with not even a trophy, well to put it nicely...SUCKED!!!

Once you step up to A tier status with the Open, it becomes very dangerous to run low entry fee/minimal payout sanctioned events becasue once somebody says "I hate St. Louis. Their payout sucks!" they rarely stop to clarify that they were talking about a C tier and not an A tier.

In order to keep the good mojo flowing about St. Louis events to the areas RCF is trying to draw from for the Open, these events really are forced to step up a notch from the low entry fee/low payout events that they were. The risk to your reputation becomes too great. That's too bad, becasue I love low entry fee/low payout events if they are played on great courses and start and end on time. However, I'm not going to sign up for an A tier, and those are the players RCF is catering to with their PDGA events now.
BubbaKick
Par Poster

Postby listen4chains on Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:26 am

Hey, I said I had a good time, and if I did not mention prior, I will add that I appreciated all the goodies that were available, and I had no other issue than YOU NOT CLARIFYING THAT THERE WAS A PROCESSING FEE and that was ALL...money is hard to come by, with two kids to raise... :mrgreen:

I feel that you could have said "it is a processing fee, here is your change, thanks for renewing, have fun today" but you did not, so that was my ONLY complaint, because you gave St. Louis a rockin' tournament on Saturday, and I'm glad I was there, and just wish I could have played at Sioux on Sunday! By the way, you have done a geat job since taking the reins, Jeff, I'll definitely admit that, and I am sorry for the slight misunderstanding in my earlier post...

St. Louis does have a great scene, keep up the good work!
Life is short, make the most of every opportunity you get to do the right thing, even when it would be easier to just say "Screw it, I don't care." Make a difference, one opportunity at a time. Smile!
listen4chains
Birdie Poster

Postby HITMAN on Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:47 pm

i dont care about the 5 bucks. why was the beer gone before the end of the second round on saturday?
HITMAN
Par Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:09 pm

HITMAN wrote:i dont care about the 5 bucks. why was the beer gone before the end of the second round on saturday?

Yeah, I have no desire to drink while I'm playing but, as soon as I was done, a beer sounded REAL GOOD!! And.... it was already gone. I think it was tapped a little early but, whatever. No big deal!! :lol:
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby forehand on Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:42 pm

jeffthrow6892 wrote:
HITMAN wrote:i dont care about the 5 bucks. why was the beer gone before the end of the second round on saturday?

Yeah, I have no desire to drink while I'm playing but, as soon as I was done, a beer sounded REAL GOOD!! And.... it was already gone. I think it was tapped a little early but, whatever. No big deal!! :lol:

No that is a big deal...Im the same way Jeff,its like that at every tournament. BS if u ask me!!!!!!
TAG #1
forehand
Birdie Poster

Postby BubbaKick on Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:53 pm

forehand wrote:
jeffthrow6892 wrote:

No that is a big deal...Im the same way Jeff,its like that at every tournament. BS if u ask me!!!!!!
I think the answer here is obvious...more beer! :P
BubbaKick
Par Poster

Postby clanger on Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:03 pm

I think the answer is not tapping it until both rounds are complete as alcohol is not allowed during a pdga event.
clanger
Par Poster

Postby REDARMY on Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:25 am

clanger wrote:I think the answer is not tapping it until both rounds are complete as alcohol is not allowed during a pdga event.

sounds like an opportunity to grab grey eagle or AB (sorry, INBEV-AB, or whatver it's called) as a sponsor!

(for post-round parties, mind you)
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby irwinje on Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:28 am

clanger wrote:I think the answer is not tapping it until both rounds are complete as alcohol is not allowed during a pdga event.

Well, that was the plan. I wonder what happened to the plan. Maybe Ron knows... I was surprised to see that it was already tapped and beers were being offered to participants during the round. I'm not a stickler for (these type of rules) but it is not fair to the people (like me) that don't like to drink during the round but would love a cold one after.
O well, nothing will ever be perfect for everyone. Forget AB though, Schlafly is our beer sponsor.
Time to get serious about having fun
irwinje
Ace Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Club Announcements & Discussion