Willmore Wednesdays - GLOW Edition - Starts 11/6/13

Promotion & Discussion area for Leagues, Weeklies, and Regular Matches

Re: Willmore Wednesdays - GLOW Edition - Starts 11/6/13

Postby discdoh on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:58 pm

Believe it or not, the temperatures outside are actually tolerable for a change! The high temperature today should get up to around 35 degrees and the evening low will only be getting down to around 25 degrees, so you won't have to bundle up like you're headed out on a Mt. Everest trek.

The TRAVELING ACE POOL was hit last Sunday at the California Monthly Tournament by Rob Nahklik. He hit Hole 6 on his first shot during the round. He has a nice $499 check from Dave Mac coming his way! Karl Kulaitis also hit an ACE on Hole 6, but it was unfortunately on his second shot. In CALI play, only the first shot off the tee counts towards the ACE POOL. :twisted: Sorry, Karl! Dave Mac has a Wizard of your choice waiting for you...

Does this mean that the $499 ACE POOL is gone forever? Hell, no! There is a second TRAVELING ACE POOL already at $499 and the third TRAVELING ACE POOL is at $114 (only 1 ACE POOL can be drained per day)! Come on out and take a stab at it!

There will be 2 changes to the course this afternoon. I will be moving Hole 6 into the tournament long position and Hole 12 will move back to the ACE worthy short position. I figure that Hole 6 has seen enough action for awhile... ;)

See everyone out there this evening!
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby discdoh on Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:21 am

Here are the results from this past week...

No ACES this week, so the $499 ACE POOL remains! Hole 6 is now in the deep position, so the Pint Size Hole is no longer the hot spot on the course to get your ACE. I think I would move that honor to Hole 1 in the present layout...

Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby discdoh on Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:15 am

Well, here we are again...it snowed around 4"-6" last night so the course is going to be a bit tricky to navigate. I will not be officially cancelling league, but if less than 6 or so people show up, we will be doing a very casual version of league. The ACE POOL, 50/50s, and FREE CTPs will still be available. The format will depend on what everyone that shows up votes for. The options will be the normal divisional singles (PRO and AM) or PRO/AM random draw doubles. If everyone opts for divisional singles, there will more than likely only be enough people to field 1 AM division, but you never know...if there are 3 or more players for both AM divisions, then I will allow both.

So, the question you have to ask yourself is "Do I want to hit a $500 ACE POOL?" I think the obvious answer is "Yes!" Prepare your discs ahead of time and come on out!

Here are some tips for snow golfing:

1) Use LEDs taped to the TOP of the disc so that you can follow the flight of the disc (red LEDs work best IMO).
2) Use dark colored packing ribbon taped to the BOTTOM of the disc to help find submerged discs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq7onUGx5So
3) Use discs that you aren't going to be devastated over if you lose them...with this much added weight it's not like you are going to know how the discs are going to fly right off the bat anyways!
4) Dress like you are going sledding/skiing. Trouncing around in the thick snow can become pretty miserable if your feet/legs/hands start to get soaked.
5) After you prepare your discs, put them back outside and let them acclimate to the ambient temperature...warm discs are like glue for powder snow which then freezes up. Unless you like 250g discs with an ice rink like grip, this is VERY important!

BTW, I think the obligatory draught beer and order of wings at Quincy Street Bistro afterwards is a no brainer as well...if you aren't too exhausted by that point! ;)

If you plan on coming out, please give me a call/text ahead of time - 314-210-2038. Thanks!
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby discdoh on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:12 pm

Here are the results from last week...

If you were wondering, the league round on 2/5/14 did not happen. Rob Nahlik was the only person that made it out, and he was honestly more interested in picking up his $499 ACE check anyways. We decided to forgo playing in the snow and headed directly to the Quincy Street Bistro for some delicious food and beverage. I am sure we would have had fun playing, but I am not going to complain! :lol:

On 2/12/14, nobody hit an ACE. The first ACE POOL remains at $499 and the second ACE POOL is now approaching $300 thanks, in part, to the California Monthly tournament that was held this past weekend at Creve Coeur. Come and get it!

I believe the weather is supposed to be pretty nice this Wednesday. Temperatures are supposed to get up to around 50 degrees for the daytime high. :shock: If you have been waiting for the weather to ease up a bit, this might be your chance to get a round in before Spring actually arrives for real!

Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby discdoh on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:18 am

Wednesday is here and the weather is looking awesome! Looking at the hourly weather report, it looks like we should be enjoying a very mild 46 degrees throughout the evening. I believe that it is supposed to start cooling off again after the next couple of days, so get some golf in while you can! As usual, there will be a $499 ACE POOL up for grabs :D ...come and get it!

That said, I am sure that the course is going to be a bit soaked. There are a few areas of the course (including some basket locations - 2,11,13) that collect a decent amount of standing water. I would be very surprised if they weren't soaked tonight. If you have waterproof socks, wear them for certain. If not, make sure you bring a dry pair of socks and shoes to change into afterwards just in case. Of course, I could be wrong...

I am fairly certain that there will be a good turnout tonight, so I will make sure that all of the baskets are lit up ahead of time. Anyone that arrives early and helps me get the lights out will receive a special glowing prize!

I will bring a few boxes of inventory for everybody to look through (including some Prodigy, Dynamic, Innova, Discraft, and possibly some others). I am pretty sure that Dave wants to save the majority of the non-Gateway stock strictly for weekend tournaments, so cash in those vouchers while you have a chance!
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby discdoh on Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:15 pm

Here are the results from yesterday...

No ACES, so the ACE POOLS are at:

ACE POOL #1 - $499
ACE POOL #2 - $297

There are only 2 more weeks of GLOW league left, so come on out and join the fun before its too late! Willmore Wednesdays will continue throughout the year as a daytime league once DST kicks in...

Next week will be divisional singles and March 3rd will be Random Draw Doubles...see you next week!

Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby schimmy on Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:13 pm

DOH,

i see you gave out an overmold magic. let's see some pics of that bad boy.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
-- Hunter S. Thompson
schimmy
Birdie Poster

Postby discdoh on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:11 pm

There is an auction up on facebook too...Dollar Disc Golf Auctions.
Attachments
IMG_465101745049956.jpeg
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby discdoh on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:44 am

It is going to be a bit on the chilly side this evening, so make sure you bundle up a bit.

There are going to be some more prototype discs included in the CTPs, so come on out and try to win yourself a collectible prize!
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby discdoh on Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:04 am

Here are the results from this past week...

NO ACES, so the ACE POOL is still at $499 ($305 = ACE POOL #2)!! :shock:

Next week will be the FINAL week of WIllmore Wednesdays GLOW Edition. Willmore Wednesdays DAYTIME Edition will start up the following week, so still plan on keeping your Wednesday afternoons/evenings open for some discin'!

Next week will be Random Draw Doubles. I will be out of town, so Danny Leach will be taking over for me. He is pretty well versed in running RDD events, so everything should go without a hitch. I will leave it up to him if he wants to put all of the lights out ahead of time. Looking at the extended forecast, it has the potential to be pretty chilly, so I would expect him to opt out of that and just offer every group a couple of the LED lights for use at their own discretion...

Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Leagues, Weeklies, Minis, & Etc.