How bout a Training Day?

a forum for talking about Disc Golf in St. Louis and Beyond

How bout a Training Day?

Postby REDARMY on Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:15 pm

pair up one of the rcf 'pros' with an amateur.

play a course with a nice blend of holes like endicott. (centrally located too)

first round, pros give the am's pointers. second round, play a bonafide pro/am match.

seems a great way to introduce new people to the sport and the rcf, and weenies like me will take all the help they can get.

thoughts?
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Re: How bout a Training Day?

Postby listen4chains on Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:00 am

That would be fun, probably, but most "pro's" want to get paid for this, so the chance that this would be free is S L I M......
Life is short, make the most of every opportunity you get to do the right thing, even when it would be easier to just say "Screw it, I don't care." Make a difference, one opportunity at a time. Smile!
listen4chains
Birdie Poster

Postby mkane on Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:32 pm

I think that is a fabulous idea, I am not a pro, but have played and been give many hours of instruction for FREE. Till we can firm up an event like this I suggest playing in the pro divisions in the weekly leagues. The Creve weekly routinely has pro/am match ups. So step up every once in a while, nothing gets a pros attention when a guy who is not a pro shows the desire to learn, especially when your on his/her team. Give it a try, I do it, and don't regret it. The key is to pay attention by seeing the shots taken and taking the time to practice those shots later. A word of caution, a pro will always tolerate a desire to learn, but stay in the game and take the advice/criticism given, and remember they weren't always a pro, but they are now.
mkane
Ace Poster

Postby Lazerface on Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:15 pm

This sounds like a great idea. Maybe it should just be a RCF match play pro/am event with regular tournament fees etc. The club should just advertise the tournament as a lesson-type event. The pros should be pushed to give pointers throughout the round and everyone should be willing to tolerate some slower play in respect to the coaching. It is fair to do random draw and pair up pros and AMs, after all it would be about getting AMs further involved in the sport so we can raise tournament awareness and club growth. It sounds like a good membership drive event. I agree with Mark in regard to the pros demands for material return, and that is why it should be a regular club event with payouts. Everyone should be well aware of the setup and if any small-minded and selfish pros want to avoid the event they can. Remember that when you get better at the game you will also acquire a desire to play competitively, and tournaments with large turn outs are more likely to get exposure from local media, which is essential for club growth, and the overall growth of the local disc golf seen.

If any pros could teach me how to make a 20 foot put I would be willing to reward them with tremendous gifts of mystery and excitement. Why the F$%# is putting so difficult, sometimes I feel like my body is unable to build the proper muscle memory to make consistent puts, and it makes me feel physically retarded.
AMERICA
STL TAG 4, SO IL TAG 1, ST CHUCK TAG ?, JC TAG NEEDED
Lazerface
Birdie Poster

Postby REDARMY on Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:20 am

listen4chains wrote:That would be fun, probably, but most "pro's" want to get paid for this, so the chance that this would be free is S L I M......

i don't mean pros like climo and feldberg, i mean guys like matt r. and chris a. and francis a., etc

either way, i'd still pony up for the advice if i had to...
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby forehand on Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:50 am

lol
TAG #1
forehand
Birdie Poster

Postby rondisc on Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:35 pm

forehand wrote:lol

Bryan,
I have been asked to teach Boy Scouts and then play 9 holes w/them for there badges. My first thought would be that you and Ryan would be perfect. What do you think? It will be after it warms up.
I think you and Ryan have the new talent, sportsmanship, and have some of the most postitive vibes to give back to STL. Another thought is JerryB. would be perfect for this also. Do me a favor and talk to them boys and get there feedback. Call me/text and let me know your thoughts. I believe younger people bond better with youngins.
I am just thinking.

Peace,
Ron
"Such a long long time to be gone, and a short time to be there."
rondisc
Ace Poster

Postby forehand on Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:57 pm

rondisc wrote:
forehand wrote:lol

Bryan,
I have been asked to teach Boy Scouts and then play 9 holes w/them for there badges. My first thought would be that you and Ryan would be perfect. What do you think? It will be after it warms up.
I think you and Ryan have the new talent, sportsmanship, and have some of the most postitive vibes to give back to STL. Another thought is JerryB. would be perfect for this also. Do me a favor and talk to them boys and get there feedback. Call me/text and let me know your thoughts. I believe younger people bond better with youngins.
I am just thinking.

Peace,
Ron

Id be interested in helpin out.Jerry im pretty sure would also and ryan ill talk to i know hes pretty busy w/school at the moment. but yeah jus let me know when and where
TAG #1
forehand
Birdie Poster

Postby rondisc on Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:27 pm

I will get the details. I will get back to you.

BTW Thanks and Peace,

Ron
rondisc
Ace Poster

Postby rondisc on Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:16 am

Brian,
I have given Waynes # to Jerry. He tapped it in his phone.
Ron
rondisc
Ace Poster

Next

Return to General DG Talk