Shoe boots

Talk about discs and other DG equipment

Shoe boots

Postby Mike_R on Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:11 pm

Well I finally retired my duck boots and sambas and decided to try something with a little more tread.

I found some nice Ozark Trail hiking shoes/boots for $20 at wal-mart. Even after $9 for cushy inserts and $7 for scotch guard, they were still pretty cheap and they worked out really well today; no trouble on the tee pads and good traction in soft fairways today.

Unfortunately, there was no dew on the ground when I played, so I couldn't tell how well they repel water.
Mike_R
Par Poster

Re: Shoe boots

Postby Mike_R on Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:58 am

Well, the Ozark Trail hiking boots did not last as long as I'd hoped. 3 months (maybe 24 rounds of golf) and they are starting to separate. The cushioning inside did not last long either. Even with extra cushy inserts, these things have turned into torture devices.

So I'm off to look into some new shoes and orthotic inserts. My wife has heard good things about The Big River Running company.

This game is tough on the feet. I'm impressed with the people that can keep it up week after week.
Mike_R
Par Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:33 pm

I've been looking for some good shoes or boots for dg as well and these are a couple of the things I've been considering.

http://www.orthoticshop.com/blog/introducing-the-disc-golf-shoe/

http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/product/fw12/shoes/men/trailhead/delaveaga/black!chili%20pepper

I'm leaning towards the Keen shoes, but they are going to be the most expensive shoes I've ever bought.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby Mike_R on Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:47 pm

I settled on some orthpedic inserts from Big River Running Company. $40. Cheaper than doctor scholl's at Wal-mart.

Then I got some New Balance cross trainers (like hiking boots, only they are shoes.) $55 at Shoe Warehouse.

Haven't had a chance to play in them, but I have high hopes.

Big River Running Company had some nice shoes to consider, but I just couldn't pull the plug on $120 pair of sneakers.

If the New Balance cross trainers don't work out, I might just go back to my Sambas and try to learn how to play with no traction.
Mike_R
Par Poster

Postby pjohnmeyer on Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:58 pm

My current disc golf shoes are VivoBarefoot Neo Trails:

http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/mens/neo-trail-mens-27.html

They have a nice aggressive tread and they feel great on my feet all day long. While not waterproof they are water resistant. I've been using "minimalist" shoes for a few years now, for both running and disc golf, and have had far less foot, heel, and knee pain than I once did.

I will say that the cleats may be a bit too aggressive for concrete tee pads, and I feel that they are wearing down faster than intended because of that. The regular Neos may actually be a better general purpose choice for DG. They also have mid and high-top models.
pjohnmeyer
Par Poster

Postby scorekeeper on Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:18 am

I like work boots and gloves water and smiles

Come on out and help build this NEW course at Sioux Passage with me and my disc golf buddys

Any Sunday you chose :arrow: :ugeek: :!: :?: OUT !
MKPH #1 KREWE in STL. R .C. F. 2014 TAG # 411
Illinois Chain Gang # ?
FUN METER #1
scorekeeper
Birdie Poster

Postby jbodet765 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:16 am

I got some Merrel hiking shoes for my bday... They are amazing... Gore-tex, waterproof, comfy, and an insane amount of traction
In the bag: Champion Beast, Champion Aviar (RiP), Champion Valkyrie, Champion Sidewinder, Champion Panther, Evolution Element, Evolution Apache, Evolution Samurai, Evolution Wizard, SSS Wizard, SSS Voodoo (RiP)
jbodet765
Bogey Poster

Postby dandruff1138 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:17 am

As a person who spends 99% of his life outdoors, waterproof of any shoe is a given. I am currently wearing Keen Targhee 2's and can not say enough about them. Merrel has also been very good to me in everyday wear.
dandruff1138
Par Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:35 am

Well, looks like Keen stopped making the Delaveaga disc golf shoe. What a shame. Reviews are mostly very good... but it seems like many people got warrantee replacements about a year after buying because of a small hole developing by the big toe and slightly inferior tread wear. Guess I'll be looking into something else. The Targhee, that Dandruff mentioned, looks like a good possibility.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby dandruff1138 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:28 am

Cabelas has these on sale until October 7th for 109.99, they usually run around 169! I am going to pick up a pair if they have my size... http://www.adidas.com/us/product/mens-o ... es/G64513X
dandruff1138
Par Poster

Next

Return to Disc Talk & Equipment Chat