Altering the course = vandalism

The City of St. Louis, MO

Altering the course = vandalism

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:30 am

Someone has taken it upon themselves to begin tearing branches out of trees at Willmore. It is suspected that this was to rid the course of obstacles that a player may have felt proposed more of a challenge than they liked. Well, despite the fact that these individuals really should just deal with it or go throw in an open field where these types of challenges don't exist...

Tearing/Cutting/Pulling branches out of trees, removing bushes or altering the course/park in ANY way is considered vandalism and is illegal. It also makes you a bad person.

Writing, painting or marking on tee signs, baskets, posts or any other item at a course/park is also vandalism - as is damaging any of the aforementioned.

I have a standing $200 reward for information which leads to the arrest of any person who has vandalized any course or park. Just contact me via private message on these boards. Anyone who feels inclined to add to that reward, let me know.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Re: Altering the course = vandalism

Postby dandruff1138 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:07 pm

While valiant in your attempts, I am sure you are speaking to the choir here. Be sure to let the parks and recreation know about it as trees can be considered an asset and/or property under insurance and can fine the vandals if caught, but you then risk, sadly, putting a black mark on the sport by doing so...

It would seem like disc golf would appeal to the outdoors type, but it never ceases to amaze me the littering and vandalism that takes place. I can not fathom why anyone would go out of their way to do such a thing... Are we certain it is someone on the course and not just a random passerby?
dandruff1138
Par Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:51 pm

There are no certainties in life, but it's usually pretty obvious when a course has been intentionally altered. Happens far more than it ought to.

Yeah, I know I'm preaching to the choir here... I just post my reward anyhow, in the hopes that some non-registered visitor to the sight might actually know something and be looking to make a few bucks for doing the right thing - maybe they were on the fence about it after seeing somebody they know doing something stupid. It shouldn't take a cash reward, but if it helps...

As for "who would do such a thing?" I don't claim to understand it, but there are some players out there who must get so angry after a bad shot that hits a branch that they just blow up and decide it's the tree's fault for being right where they need to throw. They probably believe that they are doing the rest of us a favor by getting rid of such a nuisance. Everyone generally feels pretty justified in all of their own actions, so... I dunno.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby dandruff1138 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:50 pm

No argument here, I have recently realized there are some integrity issues within the local disc golf community. Hopefully things will turn around and we can all work together!
dandruff1138
Par Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:13 pm

Eh, there are integrity issues in every community. It's a small minority.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby jbodet765 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:35 pm

I saw a kid at Willmore with a few people tearing branches down by the basket on #10... I told him that wasn't allowed and that he could actually get arrested and he told me to @#@# off... zzz

Didn't catch his name or any of his friends... I havn't seen them up there again and I play there multiple times a week
In the bag: Champion Beast, Champion Aviar (RiP), Champion Valkyrie, Champion Sidewinder, Champion Panther, Evolution Element, Evolution Apache, Evolution Samurai, Evolution Wizard, SSS Wizard, SSS Voodoo (RiP)
jbodet765
Bogey Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:09 pm

^ Thanks for saying something to them jbodet.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby scottscar on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:50 pm

I had the same result when i told a guy alcohol wasn't allowed on the course
scottscar
Bogey Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:00 pm

scottscar wrote:I had the same result when i told a guy alcohol wasn't allowed on the course

It's not even allowed in the park... or any city park for that matter. Again, thanks for being a good example out there.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby jbodet765 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:09 am

I've seen about a billion people drinking beer up there... Just look in any of the trashcans...

Doesn't mean its right though especially when the city can take the course away at anytime they please...

We all should act like little angels out there!
In the bag: Champion Beast, Champion Aviar (RiP), Champion Valkyrie, Champion Sidewinder, Champion Panther, Evolution Element, Evolution Apache, Evolution Samurai, Evolution Wizard, SSS Wizard, SSS Voodoo (RiP)
jbodet765
Bogey Poster

Next

Return to Willmore Park