Willmore Park General Discussion

The City of St. Louis, MO

Re: Willmore Park General Discussion

Postby discdoh on Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:06 am

This is truly my favorite new course! What a hodge podge of cultural cross-overs and lost souls...it's a city park and there is no avoiding the beauty and gut wrenching sorrow that this will inevitably bring. Let's see how she deals with the concrete tee pads, once they are in. ;)
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby dandruff1138 on Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:59 pm

Very cool, this life we experience is an interesting adventure! Glad the old lady is out enjoying herself.
dandruff1138
Par Poster

Postby TomShelton on Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:36 am

Stubborn Puppet wrote:
Richard~Cheese wrote:GLOW ROUND??
Anyone notice that Willmore Park is actually open til 10pm everyday all year round signs at front entrance. Now that is getting dark around 745ish. I think if anyone is up for a glow round I'm IN. Only 5mins away from park. Contact via here or via p.m.

Cool! If you want to organize a specific night and make an event of it, I'll get ahold of the clubs stock of basket lights for you to use. That would be awesome!

I also know where to get some of the
led light blinkers for the discs that you could just sell at cost.

hello friend I am looking to organize specific night. Can you give some useful tips to make it successful? Waiting for reply thanks in advance:)
TomShelton

Postby discdoh on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:28 am

COURSE UPDATE

Some work was done on the course yesterday while the ground was softened up a bit from the warm temperatures and recent downpours. All of pin positions that were tagged by the mowers have officially been taken care of (either bent back into working status or completely replaced). This means that holes 5, 6, 7, 10, 11, 12, 17, and 18 are all back to dual pin status - thank you Jay Adams, Rob Nahlik, Dan Fritz, and Matt Augustin! Additionally, some more sleeves were picked up from the Gateway shop and installation of some brand new pin positions was started as well. Holes 1, 2, and 16 were installed yesterday and there is hope that a few more will go in this evening. What all of this means is that the pins will once again be switched up an a regular basis and the course should stay nice and "fresh" throughout the winter.

Additionally, I got out there a bit before the pin work took place and did a little basket work. All 18 baskets are now marked with GLOW duct tape. There is a band at the very top and bottom of the basket area and a band in the "sweet spot". I am not sure how much this will actually help during the GLOW league rounds where the LED basket lights are used, but it certainly will help if one of the lights runs out of juice or you are playing a GLOW round on a non league night. Either way, the band in the "sweet spot" will come in handy on a regular basis...it gives you a little something to focus on and aim at day or night.

Everyone should fully expect most of the baskets to be in their alternate positions this coming Wednesday (11/20). Other than the new positions going in this evening, here is the breakdown:

1 - moved to new "A" position (shorter-right)
2 - moved to new "B" position (longer-left)
3 - possible new position?
4 - possible new position?
5 - moved to existing "A" position (shorter-right)
6 - stays put
7 - moved to existing "A" position (shorter-right)
8 - possible new position?
9 - possible new position?
10 - moved to existing "A" position (shorter)
11 - moved to existing "B" position (longer)
12 - moved to existing "B" position (longer)
13 - possible new position?
14 - possible new position?
15 - possible new position?
16 - moved to new "A" position (left)
17 - moved to existing "A" position (shorter-left)
18 - moved to existing "A" position (shorter-left)

Come on out this Wednesday for the GLOW league and check it all out! The ACE POOL should be right around $500!!! :shock:
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby dandruff1138 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:45 pm

Would an Ace on hole 6 count?
dandruff1138
Par Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:47 am

It all sounds awesome Greg......wish I could make that Wed. glow league, maybe it'll eventually happen.....
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby bean928 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:26 am

No we don't even shoot six since everyone aces it anyways. Since its so easy
RCF #17
bean928
Birdie Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:25 pm

bean928 wrote:No we don't even shoot six since everyone aces it anyways. Since its so easy

I hope you're kidding.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby maylith on Fri May 02, 2014 1:59 pm

Hey, BigBadBob here...

Just wanted to mention that I took a friend over to Willmore a few weeks back and we both had a great time. The course is great. We ran in to Scott Galvin, and he helped me out with a couple discs so I could do more than walk. Thanks Scott! My friend and I are pleased to see Disc Golf finally arrive in the city of St. Louis. Everyone involved in the process has done a great job.

I managed to get around all 18 holes almost completely pain free, just a twinge here and there. Boy, has my game gone away! Of course, not playing since 2008 will do that to a guy. I managed 1 birdie (hole 6) a bunch of pars and a few bogies while dealing with a fierce wind...even sank a 40ish foot putt. Anyway, my friend and I returned last weekend with his two kids and had another great time.

Again, thanks to the St. Louis Disc Golf Club and all the people who helped make Disc Golf in the city of St. Louis at Willmore Park a reality!
maylith

Postby discdoh on Wed May 14, 2014 3:21 pm

COURSE UPDATE

There are going to be a couple of notable changes made at Willmore this week...

- with the money I profited from selling LED lights during the Willmore Wednesdays GLOW EDITION league over the winter months (just shy of $200) and a very generous donation from the the Tuesday JB Doubles League that I run (just over $200), Willmore Park DGC will now have a practice basket! Rob Nahlik and Matt Augustin plan on sinking the sleeve tomorrow, so the practice basket should be in place for the Gateway Open this coming weekend. Future plans include having a couple of alternate sleeves for the practice basket installed as well...one will be on the opposite side of the parking lot near the River Des Peres fence-line and one will be on the strip of grass that the kiosk is on. The one that will be on the strip of grass next to the kiosk will act as Hole 19 and will be utilized if we ever run into a conflicting event that forces us to shut down Hole 5 (the Willmore Inaugural Tournament would be a good example).

- Holes 15 & 16 are going to be re-designed. The City of STL gave us the thumbs up for utilizing a bit more of the land in that back corner. If you played any of the trial run tournaments, you might remember that area of the course as having a par 4 and a par 5. There are no guarantees that they will be exactly like the original setup, but I would anticipate those 2 holes being at least a pair of par 4s...time to put your big boy pants on! These re-designed holes WILL be used in this weekends Gateway Open.

- all of the extra pin positions will have PVC pipes bolted in place to help alleviate the issues of future mower damage. This should also make it a little easier to tell which position the basket is in from a distance (using the process of elimination ;) ).

- the tee post on Hole 10 will be replaced. I got the story on what happened and it sounds like it was a faulty 4x4 post to begin with. Maybe this time we will get a good piece of wood...

If you would like to help out with any of the planned improvements, please come on out to Willmore tomorrow evening (Thursday, 5/15/14) and meet up with Matt and Rob...beverages will be provided! From my personal experiences, helping out with course improvements always helps out with your scorecard in the future! :D
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Willmore Park