Conversation about "Par"

a forum for talking about Disc Golf in St. Louis and Beyond

Conversation about "Par"

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:58 am

Seems that we have folks interested in discussing and debating what constitutes an accurate "par" for a hole. That means it's time for it to have it's own topic:

The PDGA guidelines for helping determine a holes par are here: http://www.pdga.com/documents/par-guidelines

I'd say that most seem to agree that the above guidelines are just that, "guidelines". The definitive decision seems to be based on long term proof of what challenge the hole actually provides... which is where the debate begins.

Let's hear it: Discuss local courses and holes on those courses if it helps to frame a point of reference. :D
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Re: Conversation about "Par"

Postby schimmy on Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:21 pm

here is the link to all sorts of documents related to course development.
http://www.pdga.com/course-development

along with the one puppet listed another document that relates most closely to this topic would be the one named 'PDGA Course Design Player Skill Level Guidelines'. This is another great read when thinking about course development and determining par.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
-- Hunter S. Thompson
schimmy
Birdie Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:05 pm

Thanks Schimmy!

One thing that I've often pondered is, "How important is par - really?"

It IS just a guideline to let people know roughly what they should expect from a hole and from a course... but I've always personally been much more interested in the focusing on my personal score improvements. Sure, it's all tied together... but many hot debates over what par for a hole should be have stirred up while I'm around, but I've never felt inclined to give a crap enough to argue it. I just look at the scorecard at the end of a round and compare how I did compared to the other players... then look at my scores on that same course over time to see the improvement (or lack there of in some cases :| ). Also, if we're all playing on the same courses... and the par is marked... is it a big deal what it actually is since we're all being "judged" by the same standard on that course?

Eh, I'm not a very competitive person by nature, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt... what do you think?
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby schimmy on Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:38 pm

The reason I think par is so important is because it goes hand-in-hand with course development. When developing the course, the designer should be thinking about who will be playing the course and what skill level they are, and therefore what the par should be for that skill level. If the player executed well they should receive a birdie, if they played average they should receive a par, if they messed up they should receive a bogey or worse. I think scoring for a hole should be in the range of 25% birdie, 50% par, and 25% bogey or worse. Some don't agree with this, I've seen others reference 30,60,10 as the ideal scoring spread. The important part is that the majority of people receive a par but no more than 70% receive a par.

I will point out another great website to read about course design/par and how important it is. John Houck is one of the best course designers. He has written many articles for the disc golfer magazine; and is the designer for the #1 and #2 courses in the world, according to DGCourseReview.com.
http://www.houckdesign.com/
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
-- Hunter S. Thompson
schimmy
Birdie Poster

Return to General DG Talk