Fantasy Football

Unrelated to disc golf

Fantasy Football

Postby gregwil2 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:54 pm

Any disc golfers out there big into Fantasy Football? If so, does anyone want to get a league together to play for cash? Or as an alternative, maybe everyone put in 5 unused discs as an entry fee and use that as payout?
gregwil2
Birdie Poster

Re: Fantasy Football

Postby legendarydave on Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:47 am

I love Fantasy Football, been playing since '94. But i HATE gambling... so I guess that is a maybe???
legendarydave
Par Poster

Re: Fantasy Football

Postby gregwil2 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:12 pm

I feel like fantasy football is more skill than gambling. Actually there was a law saying it wasn't, but of course it all depends on each persons perception.
The Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006, which was an amendment to the larger and unrelated SAFE Port Act, included "carve out" language that clarified the legality of fantasy sports. It was signed into law on October 13, 2006 by President George W. Bush. The act makes transactions from banks or similar institutions to online gambling sites illegal, with the notable exceptions of fantasy sports, online lotteries and horse/harness racing.

The bill specifically exempts fantasy sports games, educational games, or any online contest that "has an outcome that reflects the relative knowledge of the participants, or their skill at physical reaction or physical manipulation (but not chance), and, in the case of a fantasy or simulation sports game, has an outcome that is determined predominantly by accumulated statistical results of sporting events, including any non-participant's individual performances in such sporting events..."

However, all prizing must be determined in advance of the competition and can not be influenced by the fees or number of participants. Fantasy sports are considered gambling and therefore illegal if the competition does not meet this rule: "prizes and awards offered to winning participants are established and made known to the participants in advance of the game or contest and their value is not determined by the number of participants or the amount of any fees paid by those participants
gregwil2
Birdie Poster

Return to Off-Topic Discussions