Discussion about STLDGC Event pricing.

RCF & other STL-area Clubs' News, Q & A, and Conversation

Re: Discussion about STLDGC Event pricing.

Postby emoney on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:36 pm

Valid points for sure. I, myself, don't know much of the heresay and doings nor the numbers of this n that. Is the save the Ta Tas disc included in the $20 tourney, do they offer a lunch, n is it not a great day for a fundraiser towards something good......I simply was pushin my issue as to what our fundraisers have been for n what has been the normal to pay to play. Basicaly, if all proceeds went to those foundations for those, then y is this fundraiser charging more for the same type of idea to help pay for something. Im down with the STL, but those r far more creditable fundraisers n should/could be more n most definitely wouldn't have a problem to play. And all I did n past posts in this thread was give an idea of how we could all help get cash for these courses to be payed for, Mr. cheese, my fellow discer, that's feeding the thread with ideas and not veering off subject. the complaint is the price so if donated metals n not wallet cash can be used that's a valid point....such as the food drive bringing cans to pay for the ice bowls n what not.
Live Life and Laugh At Me
2013 RCF TAG#83
emoney
Birdie Poster

Postby emoney on Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:13 pm

I do hope it all goes well and a full board of players.
2013 RCF TAG#83
emoney
Birdie Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:19 pm

Thank you Emoney. :D
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby emoney on Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:49 pm

No problem. I will most likely not be able to join. But im stoked something is starting n the city now, cause Laffayette was so close.
2013 RCF TAG#83
emoney
Birdie Poster

Postby Puck'n'Disc5 on Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:14 pm

I think more individuals should chirp in on this one. This appears to probably be the biggest issue for this club/sport. I wouldn't mind writing a novel on this, but I don't have enough time.

I've only been a member of this club for 2 years, but from what I can understand; Greg Wilcox took the initiative to begin a player rating system that is universal for our club. And I think that is a club first? And I am not talking about handicap leagues. Makes it a lot easier to figure out how well you have progressed over time, without having to be signed up with the PDGA. I wonder how many other clubs in this nation offers not only such a rating system, but one that is as sophisticated and as well thought out as Greg's without being compensated.
Puck'n'Disc5
Birdie Poster

Postby gottagothrow on Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:50 pm

This is an excellent thread discussion. I just finished reading the whole thing.
I respect the hell out of everyone that posted here.
Very civil, very respectful, and very thoughtful all around.

If this is how the club and its members carry themselves now, I will become more involved again.
I am sure you guys have noticed, I am posting (and reading) from time to time on the message board.
I've stayed away from a lot of club stuff the past few years. I got burnt out by the ... everything.

Everyone in this thread makes excellent points, and back up their points/opinions with dialogue and examples. I agree with almost everything said on here. (Yes, even the opinions that differ, because they're both valid and good ones.)

I've not played a STL DG event (aside from Tuesday JB League) in a LOOOooonnnngggg time. In fact, I've probably spent close to $1k playing OUTSIDE of St. Louis. Not because I hate STL or its club. Just because, you know?

Anyway. My thoughts on the topic?

1) Once the tourney was in place, the announcement was made, and the details were released. No surprises, no hidden fees. Everything was spelled out. Make your decision, play, or don't play. Discuss with those in charge in a civilized matter, your opinion on good bad, and the ugly of it. Which you guys have done, and I encourage you to continue. Everything is a compromise.

2) Point #1 aside, it seems like this IS a good compromise. Payouts, plus fundraising. However, my opinion is, it should have been just a fundraiser. Perhaps, Winner in each division gets a smaller payout, but not the field. (Compromise, and more incentive to play?)

3) Food, I agree with how it is handled here. You either offer it, or don't. If you offer it, make it mandatory by entry fees, that way, you KNOW it will be worth it, and you'll have enough. I also understand the reason to have it, to keep folks at the course for OTHER fundraising activities as well as to get the next round started on time. Cause if you have it as optional without a pre-purchase option, you'll end up loosing your shirt, shorts, and shoes. Because not enough people will commit.

4) $30 plus, $10 add ons, does seem pricey to me. However, it IS a fundraiser. I am dealing with it. I am choosing to pay it. Because, I know what I am getting for it. It''s also disc golf and I don't get to play it very often. I am very lucky I can actually play in this one without worrying about if it's going to be 100° and 80% humidity. Holy shit this summers awesome.

Not really related to THIS tourney, but I hope the club has gotten to the point where their tourney's start on time and end at a reasonable hour. That WAS a huge problem way back when. I hate it when they started late because of the lazy asses getting to the course. (I say that, I'll probably be late tomorrow... shit.. ha).

Thanks to the volunteers that got this course in, as well as the RCF volunteers. You make me want to get involved in DG again.

Now, I need to study a map of this course. I also need to find out about the course, as I've not heard much about it. (my fault for not looking, I know).

Dan, aka GottaGoThrow
Remember, there is no disc.
http://stlouisdiscgolfclub.com/
Tag # 1 (in my imaginary world)
PDGA # 26478 rating 935
38.517136°N, 090.280311°W
gottagothrow
Birdie Poster

Previous

Return to Club Announcements & Discussion