Rock Springs Park Alton Il

Alton, IL

Re: Rock Springs Park Alton Il

Postby GALLOW1217 on Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:06 pm

So, I guess 3 lefts make it right. I play The Rock every Sat and Sun. Ill keep my eye out for discs.
GALLOW1217
Bogey Poster

Postby WoodRiverChainBanger on Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:15 pm

Ive played there once in January, do they still have christmas decerations up? Gonna try to play there this Saturday if i can get any of my friends to play,gets boring playn by yourself.will keep my eyes open for lost disc.
WoodRiverChainBanger
Bogey Poster

Postby REDARMY on Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:39 pm

i played with a group of guys (and a gal (pretty cute gal actually)) at endicott yesterday that said the decorations are down.

scary thing was, they said the city (or state?) recruited inmates from the local lockup to do the work :o :shock:
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby sharkbite on Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:45 pm

Everything is down and the gates are open. The course is coming along, like all the crap that was in the fair way on 11 is almost gone. I wasn't that impressed at first, probably the Innova baskets (which are already rusting) but it's growing on me and I didn't help so who am I to complain.
"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left"
sharkbite
Bogey Poster

Postby BubbaKick on Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:44 am

sharkbite wrote:probably the Innova baskets (which are already rusting)
Somebody posted before that some of those baskets used to be at Principia. Recycling is good. Taking baskets from a seldom-used course at a private college that no one could access and moving them to Rocksprings is awesome.
BubbaKick
Par Poster

Postby dehaas on Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:31 am

The first time I went out there to play I was told by somebody out there helping put up christmas lights about the inmates. They said there haven't been any problems with them out there, because most of them are very close to getting out and want to keep it that way. I'd agree the course is coming along well, I was out there this past tuesday and a lot of the tees were slick. I can't wait till they get crushed limestone or concrete tees in the ground. I'd forgotten how tough that course can be, I seemed to get every bad kick or roll possible. Water aside I'd say that alton is just as difficult as unger. With the shots I throw I think unger has more birdie opportunities, even though it's a longer course and a higher par. The greens out at alton are just flat out vicious. Hopefully we can see some tournaments out there, get the course beat in a bit, and get some cash flow going for some pads.
dehaas
Ace Poster

Postby GALLOW1217 on Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:24 am

Yes, this is all true. The inmate thing is news to me but dont fret I play there all the time. The baskets are from Principia and we got a great deal on them. Jeff provided the other 6, so 13 thru 18 are brand new. I also put a trash can up on hole 14. So to sum up, the Xmass stuff is gone the gates are open and all of the baskets and signs are in. I will be Discin, Sat. and Sun.
GALLOW1217
Bogey Poster

Postby REDARMY on Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:42 pm

i'm going to try to make a trip out there saturday myself.

it'll be interesting to see how the place has progressed since november, and actually get a legitimate parking spot!
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby sharkbite on Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:04 pm

dehaas wrote:The first time I went out there to play I was told by somebody out there helping put up christmas lights about the inmates. They said there haven't been any problems with them out there, because most of them are very close to getting out and want to keep it that way. I'd agree the course is coming along well, I was out there this past tuesday and a lot of the tees were slick. I can't wait till they get crushed limestone or concrete tees in the ground. I'd forgotten how tough that course can be, I seemed to get every bad kick or roll possible. Water aside I'd say that alton is just as difficult as unger. With the shots I throw I think unger has more birdie opportunities, even though it's a longer course and a higher par. The greens out at alton are just flat out vicious. Hopefully we can see some tournaments out there, get the course beat in a bit, and get some cash flow going for some pads.

I think a perfect round would be 10+/- under. 1-3, 6,7,10,13,14,16, and 17 are possible birdies. I only say 14 because I birdied it today with a 150 putt w/ a demon (ya baby). Depending on what the par is for 9 and 18 those could be birds too, because they are both VERY 3 able. I can't compare it to Unger yet, but those are my thoughts on Rock Springs.

I'd like to know if the path on 2 and 7 are OB, I can only assume that the road on 3,4,9 and 18 are, at least that's the way I play it. Also are there any mandos? I throw a big hyzer over the road on 3 and 18.
"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left"
sharkbite
Bogey Poster

Postby REDARMY on Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:00 pm

sharkbite wrote:
dehaas wrote:The first time I went out there to play I was told by somebody out there helping put up christmas lights about the inmates. They said there haven't been any problems with them out there, because most of them are very close to getting out and want to keep it that way. I'd agree the course is coming along well, I was out there this past tuesday and a lot of the tees were slick. I can't wait till they get crushed limestone or concrete tees in the ground. I'd forgotten how tough that course can be, I seemed to get every bad kick or roll possible. Water aside I'd say that alton is just as difficult as unger. With the shots I throw I think unger has more birdie opportunities, even though it's a longer course and a higher par. The greens out at alton are just flat out vicious. Hopefully we can see some tournaments out there, get the course beat in a bit, and get some cash flow going for some pads.

I think a perfect round would be 10+/- under. 1-3, 6,7,10,13,14,16, and 17 are possible birdies. I only say 14 because I birdied it today with a 150 putt w/ a demon (ya baby). Depending on what the par is for 9 and 18 those could be birds too, because they are both VERY 3 able. I can't compare it to Unger yet, but those are my thoughts on Rock Springs.

I'd like to know if the path on 2 and 7 are OB, I can only assume that the road on 3,4,9 and 18 are, at least that's the way I play it. Also are there any mandos? I throw a big hyzer over the road on 3 and 18.

when we played in november, local wisdom said to mando to the left of the tree or telephone pole (whichever it is) on 3 to prevent exactly the shot you take. (and keep discs out of the way of foot/vehicle traffic.

that day, the path going through 2 WAS OB, and i'm not sure which path you're referring to on 7....
REDARMY
Ace Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Rock Springs Park