Work Days For NEW 18 Holes

@Sioux Passage Park - Florissant, MO

Re: Work Days For NEW 18 Holes

Postby scorekeeper on Wed May 01, 2013 7:59 pm

Sorry it has taken me this long to respond .
THANKS to ALL that showed up Sunday , We All had a great work day .
This Sunday May 5th I will be at it again if anyone would like to come out and help, bring it !
This looks like a good day to focus on fairway #5 and maybe finish the ditch clean up on #6's fairway
We will be setting pin placements on hole #4
Hope to see you there.
MKPH #1 KREWE in STL. R .C. F. 2014 TAG # 411
Illinois Chain Gang # ?
FUN METER #1
scorekeeper
Birdie Poster

Postby fairweather_fan on Mon May 06, 2013 8:02 pm

Workday this Saturday @ 9a per Francis, parking across from shelter btwn holes 3 & 4
aka 'teddy ballgame'
2012 RCF Bag Tag #411
2012 SICG Bag Tag #30
fairweather_fan
Site Admin

Postby scorekeeper on Sat May 11, 2013 7:33 pm

Today was another great work day on the new course. Hole 6 is ready for concrete ,and Hole 7 is very close.
We now have Holes #1 #2 #3 , and #6 ready for tee pads.
Holes #4 and #5 still need some clearing to be done before we can set pin locations.
Holes 8 and 9 should move along fairly well considering the area is basically new growth.
Thanks again to those who showed up today. With only 6 people we managed to tackle some serious brush removal .
I can only imagine what could be done if more able bodies were to show up.
Next work day will be May 19 2013 Sunday 9:30 am start
Hope to see you there ! :ugeek: :geek: :D :)
Illinois Chain Gang # ?
FUN METER #1
scorekeeper
Birdie Poster

Postby Chris K on Fri May 17, 2013 8:29 am

I can make it this Sunday to work on the course. What time to show up and what tools should I bring? BTW, if anyone wants to carpool, give me a call, 314-583-3340.
Chris K
Ace Poster

Postby Chris K on Wed May 22, 2013 11:44 pm

There is lot going on this year with 3 new courses scheduled for completion; ICC, Sioux Passage and Wilmore. The River City Flyer Disc Golf Clubs are operated by volunteers who love the game as much as the rest of us. We are willing to invest our time and money in this sport to have more courses to play and ease the wear and tear and back ups from overplaying specific courses. It has also been a dream of many, myself included, to have 36 holes in one location. Sioux Passage is our first opportunity to fulfill this dream and this is where the St Louis Club is focused. The Club Championships have used a temporary course layout for years at Sioux to accommodate the growing number of players who have discovered disc golf. It was a lot of work to mark and flag each hole, then rally 18 portable baskets from different members and get the baskets on their spots in time for the tournament (then collect them back up after it was over).

Sioux Passage will become a destination hot spot for casual players as well as for tournaments.
The new course is designed by Francis Albanese, SP Course Captain, using some of Dave McCormack's temp course design and utilizing new land donated from the Briscoe Farm to the STL Co Parks.
I finally made it to a work day last Sunday and worked from 11 to 3. We were clearing the woods on 5's fairway with loppers and mattocks. The chain saw never started. After 30 minutes of digging honeysuckle roots and hauling limbs and greenery down a path, I was soaking wet and stroking out. We rested for 20 minutes drinking water and swatting mosquitos (you don't notice them too much when you're moving). I also wore a mosquito net over my hat to keep them away from my face, ears and neck. Best purchase I've made in years. After another 30 minutes of work, I had to go to the car and cool off. This time it took me 1 hour to bring my body temp down to where I felt normal. Granted I'm 57 years old so you younger guys shouldn't have this problem. If you will remember, Sunday May 19 was hot and muggy. No wind and plenty of sunshine:) For the last hour or so we plowed further up the fairway to the green and looked back. Subconsciously picking lines through the trees and thinking what disc to use. The fairway was still very rough but also very cool to watch it take shape. Knowing that I helped sculpt it. To bring it a little closer to opening day. Another playground for us discgolfers.
Something else I didn't expect happened that afternoon. I felt good. I broke a sweat. I worked out. I didn't die. My wife has been on my case about losing weight and getting fit. I want it too but I never seem to get to the gym. Working with my hands, outdoors, swinging a mattock, and clearing away brush didn't feel like drudgery work to be avoided. I was on a mission and I was getting a workout in the process. Would I rather be playing than working? Absolutely! Soon though, I'll forget the time I spent working on the course as I try to snake a shot through the trees on hole 5.

For ICC, Indian Camp Creek, call Tim Wiegard, 314-581-9988
For Sioux Passage, call Francis Albanese, 314-330-0045

If you have 2 hours to give to work on getting these courses complete, all 3 courses could be playable by October 2013. If you give 4 hours, all 3 could be playable by September or August. Show up at every work day and all 3 will be playable in July 2013. Don't ever show up except to play a game of disc golf? ….
Chris K
Ace Poster

Postby Chris K on Fri May 24, 2013 9:04 am

Francis is expecting to be working on Sioux Passage this Sunday at 10a. Give him a call if you can help work on the new course this Sunday, 314-330-0045.
Chris K
Ace Poster

Postby scorekeeper on Sat May 25, 2013 9:03 am

Well we all know Chris can be a little hard of hearing :roll: .
I will be at sioux Monday around 10 am
I have a lot of work to do around the house, so Monday is my best possible work day
Hope to see some new faces out to help our club build this course :ugeek: :geek: :D
Illinois Chain Gang # ?
FUN METER #1
scorekeeper
Birdie Poster

Postby emptv on Sat May 25, 2013 5:36 pm

Disc up,
Work day on a Monday figures. We changed LAKER league for Monday hoping to get you back out with us and do some work on Sunday. I know about schedules at home, grass is growing at a 2x a week mowing pace and that is what I will be doing. Sorry I can't make it this time, :cry:

8-)
Fly long & prosper!
Bruce C.
The Traveling LAKERS
E-mail: TravelingLAKERS@hotmail.com
Lake Saint Louis, 63367
Cell # 314-606-3475
Ace= $180/$97
Sweeps= $4/$11
Fun= $378
emptv
Ace Poster

Postby scorekeeper on Tue May 28, 2013 6:35 pm

THANKS again to the Garvers for helping on the new course.
We will be at it again on Sunday June 2nd.
If anyone would like to help bring gloves , hand tools, and a smile cause we can always use the help
Hole 5 is very close to being cleared and then we will move onto holes 7,8,and 9
when We finish with the clearing we will start work on the tee pads. At that time we will need a tiller and a few strong backs to help move dirt .
Hopefully we will be able to get rock in so we can order concrete.
Again if you would like to help show up ready to work smart ,and have fun
If you have any questions about work days you can call me (Francis Albanese) at 314 330 0045
Hope to see you soon ! :ugeek: :geek: :P :D
Illinois Chain Gang # ?
FUN METER #1
scorekeeper
Birdie Poster

Work Days For NEW 18 Holes

Postby emptv on Tue May 28, 2013 9:17 pm

Disc up,
Sunday LAKER League is scheduled to be at Sioux this week. In order for us to be able to assist in the work going on we are going to try to start at 7am which should get us done around the start of the work day. I will be able to work until 12:30 - 13:00 hours so we should be able to help quite a bit.

8-)
Fly long & prosper!
Bruce C.
The Traveling LAKERS
E-mail: TravelingLAKERS@hotmail.com
Lake Saint Louis, 63367
Cell # 314-606-3475
Ace= $180/$97
Sweeps= $4/$11
Fun= $378
emptv
Ace Poster