The STL Putting Championship - Futsal Academy, Saturday 3/30

Info and Discussion on STLDGC and other St. Louis-area Events

The STL Putting Championship - Futsal Academy, Saturday 3/30

Postby discdoh on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:38 pm

Here you go! An indoor putting championships!

This is the official replacement tournament for the Match Play Madness...

discdoh
Ace Poster

Re: The STL Putting Championship - Futsal Academy, Saturday

Postby mike jorts on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:01 am

So by putting- you mean 30 footers or 100 footers? How many baskets will be there? Food, beer? Sounds fun for sure!! Is it a business (serve drinks, food)where we are going? I was thinking of inviting my wife and son so I wanted them to know what the deal was on that..
mike jorts
Bogey Poster

Postby discdoh on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:26 pm

Ther will be some established distances that everyone will shoot from during the qualifying and competition-

20ft - 1 pt
30ft - 3 pt
40ft - 6 pt
50 ft - 10 pt

Everyone will get 5 shots from each distance during the qualifying rounds.

During the actual Match Play, 20 shots will be taken by each competitor, but it will be up to the individual to decide which station they want to putt from. The higher seed will go first and take the first shot. The lower seed will then take two shots. It will then go back and forth (2 shots at a time) until all 20 shots are thrown. It should make for some pretty intense action!

There will be 3-4 baskets in the match play area and several baskets in the practice area. There will also be a bunch of Gateway putters for everyone to test out, practice with, use in competition, purchase,
or whatever...if it feels good, make us an offer!

The facility will have water and Gatorade available. Otherwise, you are allowed to bring whatever food and beverage you would like to. Maybe bring a chair to sit on as well, as there is the possibility of some down time while other matches are being completed (you can always practice or play in some side games too).
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby mike jorts on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:07 am

Hey, thanks for the information on this one! man, sounds like a blast for sure. We used to kick it and have putt offs all the time, but a legit putting tournament is totally phychadellic. Keep up the good work. Hope to see a good turnout!
mike jorts
Bogey Poster

Postby discdoh on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:36 am

Here is some more info...

Even though I suck at putting :o , I am getting excited about this...every dog has their day!

Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby discdoh on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:26 am

Here are the results from the STL Putting Championships...

Everyone that made it had a great time! This is definitely a format that will get used again. I even heard some rumors that this could become a year-long series or something similar. I will get some pictures and videos posted later...

Here is what Dave Mac had to say on his facebook page:

"Putting tournament format!!

On Saturday we rented an indoor soccer arena and held an indoor putting tournament.
We sat up 4 stations for live play and 3 stations for practicing. Each station had 4 distances.
20′ = 1 pt
30′ = 3 pt
40′ = 6 pt
50′ = 10 pt.
The qualifying rounds were from 11:00- 3:00. players were required to throw 5 shots from each distance twice for a total of 40 throws over the 2 rounds ( 20 putts each rd). The total score gave each player their seeding for the bracket play. During bracket play the player with the better seed started the match by putting once and the higher seed then threw twice with players trading off 2 throws each time until the better seed had the last single throw of twenty, the higher score advanced. The interesting part was that during the bracket play, players could decide which distance ( and point value) to throw each shot from. I really liked this format as I watched players form different styles of strategy for either getting ahead or catching up. The distances and point values seemed perfect.
Justin Bunnell was the winner in the open and Josh Henson won am,, I’m hoping to run another very soon as well as use the area for other disc sports, like ultimate, guts, double disc court, accuracy and possible even a game called goaltimate ( or at least a version of that game)."

I am really hoping that we can fill up some 16 person brackets in the future and turn this into a big deal! As usual Dave Mac has been more than generous with his time and money to make sure that everyone involved has a great time!

STL Putting Champs - AM.jpg
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby discdoh on Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:43 pm

Here are a few pics...

IMG_0606.JPG
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Return to STLDGC & Area Tournaments