The "Beginners' League" at Watson Trail

Promotion & Discussion area for Leagues, Weeklies, and Regular Matches

Re: The "Beginners' League" at Watson Trail

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:26 pm

GAME 30 THE FINAL REGULAR GAME!

Whew, what a crazy night. First time it has ever rained on the Beginners' League, but at least it stopped right before we teed off and didn't come back until the last 2 - 3 holes. It was windy and gross, but it didn't stop us from having fun. We even managed to welcome a brand new disc golfer to the league. Greg Schwartz, playing his third ever game of disc golf with us. This guy is really catching on quick and will be someone to watch out for.

We had 6 players and played singles

The league balance was $126.66
Fees paid of $30
$18 towards payouts
$6 towards prizes and expenses
$6 towards the party
New league balance: Prizes and Expenses = $13.66 / Party = $125 Total = $138.66

Here's the breakdown:

We really pulled off some massive diversity in divisions. We had Open, Advanced, Intermediate and New with scores ranging from 52 to 78.
Open
Name, Score, Place, Payout
Matt Grogan, 52 (wow), 1st, $3

Advanced
Mark Munter, 57, 1st, $3

Intermediate
Daniel Doss, 63, 1st, $9
John Renteria, 64, 2nd, -
Don Rush, 66, 3rd, -

New
Greg Schwartz, 78, 1st, $3

No Aces were hit. That means the pool is carried over for one last game, the glow game at the party. If nobody hits it there, we'll play a ring of fire challenge to see who I'm going to use the ace pool money to buy a portable basket for.

Hey, it was a really great year everyone. Thank You! I know the turnouts have been a little low, but it is the first year for the league and a lot of us had some mid-season work and school schedule changes that kept us away. Next week is going to be awesome!

By the way, the party and glow game do not have a fee. If you're a legitimate beginner and a Beginners' League Member, just bring your discs, your LED's and your smiling faces. See you there

The LED's are still in stock now. Here's how I'm going to handle them. I'm paying for them out of the Party fund - and that means If you've played 6 or more league games, you can have 4 of them for free. If you've played between 3 and 5 games, you can have 2 for free. Beyond that, they're selling 2 for $3 to league players (when paying your $5 fee and playing the league).

Remember to reserve November 1st! This is the final night of league and will be our League Party and a glow game. THE PRIZES AND PAYOUTS FOR THIS GLOW GAME WILL BE RESERVED FOR QUALIFIED, BEGINNER LEVEL, LEAGUE MEMBERS - anyone can attend and enjoy the game though. We'll have the shelter reserved for a cookout and all the baskets will be lit.
We'll be serving up some chilli, hotdogs (or chillidogs), potato salad, beer and soda before the game starts.
Looks like we'll be having a mix of cash and merch prizes for CTP's and they'll be available on every hole. We'll also be ceremonially burning all of the score cards from the entire 2012 Beginners' League season in an effort to "cover up the evidence". That should be fun too.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:06 pm

Just a bump to remind Beginners' League members about the end of league party and night game. That's THIS THURSDAY, Nov. 1

As a reminder, this is a free event for members of the Beginners' League (1st or 2nd year players who have payed and played 2 or more league games). The Food, Beer, CTP prizes, Ace Pool and possible/probably Ring of Fire are for league members as well.

We'll start the party at the usual 5:15 time, but I'll be there early and will welcome a few people to show up early to help me get everything set up and ready to go.

See you there.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:15 pm

As a reminder, I will NOT be organizing a Beginner' League this year.

I am not going to have the time and I think this league should be run and played by actual beginners. I'm at 3 years now, so, although I still play like one, I'm just not a beginner.

I've had a lot of calls and emails from folks asking when and where this league will be this year... and I don't have an answer for them.

It would be fantastic if someone else would pick up the torch and run it this year. It certainly doesn't have to be at Watson Trail (in fact, it might be better if it weren't), but it sure does deserve to survive. Will YOU pick it up and run with it?

I'll be happy to teach anyone who wants to do it everything I learned doing it last year and set you up with scorecards, sign-up sheets and anything else I can.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Previous

Return to Leagues, Weeklies, Minis, & Etc.