Flex Start Tourney w/ Multiple round option

a forum for talking about Disc Golf in St. Louis and Beyond

Flex Start Tourney w/ Multiple round option

Postby gregwil2 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:03 pm

I wasn't sure if this type of event has ever been run or if there would be any interest so I thought I would throw it out here for discussion. I understand that it would be a long day for a TD (and maybe players), but hopefully multiple people could TD and allow each TD to also participate.
The format would be a singles one round tournament, but with a flex time start. I would think the time would be similar to the club championships this year where you could show up and play anytime between 8am-3pm (last card out at 3pm). The twist would be that a single person could play multiple rounds and the best round would be used to determine the winner.
So say Greg would show up at 9am and pay $10 + $5 for CTPs to play a round. Greg ends up scoring a 59. But Greg knows he could have played better, so he gets some lunch then comes back at 1pm to play another round. He must pay the same $10 entry and $5 CTPs just as a new player, but would get a second chance to get a better score. If players wanted to stick around and if someone beats them out then they could pay in again to try to win their top spot back.
Just an idea.
gregwil2
Birdie Poster

Re: Flex Start Tourney w/ Multiple round option

Postby Richard~Cheese on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:57 pm

That seems to be the way alot of the fundraiser tournys are run as of latley. The TaTas is a perfect example.
The "art" of revolution....
Richard~Cheese
Birdie Poster

Re: Flex Start Tourney w/ Multiple round option

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:11 pm

I think it works for the charity events because it's all about the money raised. I see too many opportunities for argument and debate in a ranked tournament where money is on the line. The weather could change, for better or worse. Giving one person 3 to 4 chances to get the best score, but not the same opportunity to a person who actually has other important stuff to do with their day. Everyone tries to squeeze in at the 3pm time and creates huge bottlenecks...

I DO like the idea, but I anticipate too much drama. Perhaps limiting the players to a max of 2 rounds is a good start on curing that.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Return to General DG Talk