Vibram Birdie Bash Sunday April 14 in Lebanon, IL

Info and Discussion on STLDGC and other St. Louis-area Events

Vibram Birdie Bash Sunday April 14 in Lebanon, IL

Postby dehaas on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:29 pm

I just got done registering for a Vibram Birdie Bash on April 14 at Horner Park in Lebanon. For those of you who aren't familiar with Vibram, they make about the most durable rubber shoe soles in the world and also make golf discs. Their discs are made from rubber, and have a unique grip and unmatched durability. The event isn't added to their calendar yet, but I'll give the basic rundown and post the registration link once it is live.

The Birdie Bash is a chance to get your hands on some killer Vibram rubber on the el cheapo and enjoy a fun day on the course. $25 gets your choice of 2 Vibram discs (one must be a putter and the other must be a mid or driver) and a T-shirt. We will be playing the short tees at Horner Park, and instead of playing regular stroke play we will be keeping score using their point system. The shorts are beginner friendly, and will provide many holes for you to run and gun at the pin.

Aces are worth 5 points, metal hits are 1 point, and birdies are 2 points. For example if your tee shot hits metal, kicks 15 feet away and then sink your birdie putt you score 3 points (1 for metal and 2 for birdie). Another example might be a tee shot that lands 50 feet from the pin. You make a jump putt run at the pin and chain out. You score 1 point for the metal hit. Each hole will play as a par 3, so you will only take 2 shots per hole. Everybody will play with their 2 selected discs, and only those 2 selected discs.

Scores will be grouped together after the first round, and the winner of each second round card will receive a goodie pack courtesy of Vibram. The overall winner will receive their choice of either a pair of Vibram Five Fingers shoes or a spot on their test team...you get to test prototype discs and provide your feedback. The runner up will get whichever prize the winner decides to pass on. There will only be one division. There will be an optional ace pot, and I will probably provide some prizes for CTP holes each round.

Registration is performed online through Vibram directly. Once they get the tournament loaded onto their site I will paste the registration URL. If registering online is not an option for you, please reach out to me and I can collect your entry fee and register for you. Registration closes a week before the tournament date, in order to provide adequate time for Vibram to ship all of the gear to me. TD's can purchase additional player's packs to account for any walk up entrants, but I cannot promise that I will do so. If I choose to do so I will post that information in the thread. The entry field is capped at 72 players and since the entry fees go directly to Vibram there will be no provided lunch. There are several fast food restaurants 5 minutes away from the course.

If you have any other questions please reach out to me here or email me at lebanonbirdiebash@gmail.com. You can get some product descriptions on Vibram's molds at http://www.vibramdiscgolf.com. I carry all of their molds, and if you want to toss a few to see what they fly like I usually have them with me in my bag or in the trunk.

Derek
dehaas
Ace Poster

Re: Vibram Birdie Bash Sunday April 14 in Lebanon, IL

Postby dehaas on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:23 am

Registration is now live at:

http://www.iregisteredonline.com/events ... .php?et=29

I have already went and registered myself and it looks like the default payment method is paypal. If you have a paypal account make sure the debit or credit card you want to use is linked to your account. If you do not have a paypal account or are uncomfortable with online payment reach out to me and we can make arrangements for your entry fee, and I can register online for you. Vibram makes all of their molds down to 150 class, and there is an option for you to prefer heavy discs. There is also a comment section with registration, so say for example you wanted a lighter weight driver but still like your putters heavy I would choose no for heavy weight preference and then ask for a heavy putter in the comments or vice versa.

I plan on having 8-10 free ctp holes included during the 2 rounds. If there's anything I may be leaving out please ask and I can clear anything up.
dehaas
Ace Poster

Postby dehaas on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:03 pm

There was a hiccup for a little while with the registration page where the tournament appeared to be a 5k road race set in August. Everything has been fixed and the tournament is listed a little more than halfway through the list of events at the link I originally posted. It's easy to miss, and registration might be easier to find at:

http://www.vibramdiscgolf.com/birdie-bash.html

There is a map with the individual locations as pin points, click on the pin point and a window opens up with details and a direct link to the registration page. If you go this route you do not have to skim through the list of 80+ events.

I've had a few questions about the discs, and have reached out to Vibram for a bit of clarification. On the registration page there is a question that asks about heavy disc preference. If you request heavy discs they will be 170+, otherwise you will receive something in the 164-169 range. Due to the total amount of people playing in all of their events they will not be able to fulfill a specific weight request, just the 164-169 and 170+ ranges. All discs will be in their X-Link Medium rubber, which is their most popular blend.

I'll give a brief description of what the discs fly like, if you've thrown any of them and want to add your own thoughts please do.

Summit: Understable lower profile putter with minimal bead. Sort of remids me of an XD. Pretty flat disc.
Ridge: Stable putter with a rim a touch more shallow than a Wizard and less of a bead. Good for putting and driving. Pretty flat disc.
Sole: Stable putter with no bead and a bit more glide than the ridge. Has a gradual dome to it, not flat like the ridge.
VP: Overstable putter with large bead and a bit deeper rim than the ridge. Flight wise similar to a Rhyno.

Ibex: Wider diameter midrange with no bead on bottom. Flight wise straight with a bit of fade at the end, comparable to a Roc that's been worn in a bit.
Obex: Ibex with a bead along the bottom. Flight wise slightly overstable comparable to a fresh heavy Roc or Wasp.

Trak: Stable to understable fairway driver. Flight wise comparable to a Leopard, TL, or Eagle L.
Ascent: Stable to slightly overtsable fairway driver. Flight wise comparable to a Teebird or Eagle X.
Lace: Wide rimmed max distance driver. Flight wise comparable to a broken in Destroyer.
dehaas
Ace Poster

Postby dehaas on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:04 pm

There are 2 different shirt styles given away to Birdie Bash participants. From my understanding I will receive even amounts of each style in each particular size. Color preference will be first come first served day of the event.

dehaas
Ace Poster

Postby dehaas on Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:26 pm

feedback on the shirts is that they are running on the smaller size. so if you are kind of between two sizes, go with the larger size. i've got flyers posted at several courses and plan to get out monday and post flyers at the ones i haven't hit yet. keep in mind the tournament is april 14, but registration closes on april 7 so vibram can get all of the discs and shirts shipped to me in time of the event. if you are opposed to online registration please get in touch and we can work something out.
dehaas
Ace Poster

Postby dehaas on Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:11 pm

the play it again sports just started carrying vibram golf discs as of today. if you are curious about any of the molds you can go fondle them in person. i believe the one on manchester will start carrying them soon, not sure when exactly though. half of the fairview order will be going to them as inventory.
dehaas
Ace Poster

Postby dehaas on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:44 am

just a heads up, we are getting close to a week out from the end of registration. $25 gets you your choice of 2 vibram discs (one must be a putter and the other is a mid or driver) and a t-shirt. the discs retail for $16-17 apiece, so the entry fee is definitely a steal. the rounds should play fairly quick since you are taking just 2 shots per hole trying to pile up the birdies.

i've got goodies for 10+ free ctp holes per round, with most of them being additional vibram discs. i know i've got a handful of vibram laces to give away, it's one of the longest and easiest to throw distance drivers on the market at the moment.

registration needs to be performed online at:

http://iregisteredonline.com/events_detail.php?et=29

registration will close at the end of the day on sunday april 7. if you do not have the means to register online reach out to me and we can make arrangements to get you registered. THERE WILL BE NO REGISTRATION AFTER APRIL 7. vibram needs a week to mail all of the gear to me.
dehaas
Ace Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:17 am

Maybe I'm missing it here but, what time on the 14th does this event begin??
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby dehaas on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:58 am

Registration will start at 9 (pick up discs and shirt), players meeting will be 9:45 with tee off at 10. If you want some practice tosses with your discs I'd suggest getting there closer to 9.
dehaas
Ace Poster

Postby irwinje on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:10 pm

DGCR lists this as a par 59 from the Pro tees, is this accurate?
Time to get serious about having fun
irwinje
Ace Poster

Next

Return to STLDGC & Area Tournaments