Horrible coarse. don't even try this one!

Ellisville, MO

Horrible coarse. don't even try this one!

Postby emoney on Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:38 am

:shock:
Live Life and Laugh At Me
2013 RCF TAG#83
emoney
Birdie Poster

Re: Horrible coarse. don't even try this one!

Postby BubbaKick on Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:42 am

Hmmm...Bluebird is one of my favorite courses. It is definitely my favorite 9-hole (and I've played a BUNCH of 9-holes.) I really like 1-4 with all the elevation changes and the tight woods. The putting area around # 1 always gets me...my disc will hit that compacted soil and skip a mile past the hole. # 2 has that extreme roll-away risk for your putt on the right. # 3 can be tricky as I seem to sail past the pin high a lot. # 4 is just a bitch. Then you get the open holes, but # 7 & # 8 have some nice drop-offs around the pin. # 9 is a dinker, but it's nice to end with a birdie.

It's a workout, it has some really good shots, you get to see deer and other wildlife stare at you wondering WTF you are doing with that Frisbee, and the course is so underplayed that you have almost zero chance of encountering another human being. What's not to like? The tees are bad...I'll give you that. Some of the open holes that were long when the course was designed and the Viper was the best-selling distance driver are not so long anymore in this day of the Boss and all the other high-speed drivers. The grass needs to get cut on the open holes more often. Other than that, it's a pretty good course. I'd play two rounds of nine there before I'd go to Creve Coeur. As far as 9-holers go, it's head and shoulders above Manchester, Watson Trails or Kircher.

I'm wondering what you found so horrible?
BubbaKick
Par Poster

Postby STARFIRE on Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:43 am

The course design is excellent but it's been neglected for so long. It will become completely unused soon...At that point we(RCF) should try to purchase those baskets from the city of Ellisville or whoever owns them. Then, we could use those and an additional 9 for the back(righty) course for UNGER!!! :D
RCF #34
JCS #7
SCC #43
SICG #12
PDGA #33428
STARFIRE
Ace Poster

Postby BubbaKick on Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:47 am

STARFIRE wrote:we(RCF) should try to purchase those baskets from the city of Ellisville or whoever owns them.
Ugh, I forgot about the baskets. There is another con for the course...first generation DISCatchers. They SUCK! Even if Ellisville decided to pull the course at some point, I'd stay away from those crappy baskets.
BubbaKick
Par Poster

Postby emptv on Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:09 pm

Disc up,
Having participated in buying and removing a underused course, I would tell you to expect to hear negative statements for 10 -15 years afterwards. Most of these statements come from underinformed people & rumors that grow over the years. The locals just end up saying that "we used to have a course hear but somebody just came and took it for no reason!" Usually there is much more to it. Just ask Bob W. what he was able to do with the course after he purchased it from myself & Curt R.. Bob had the giddyup & the connections to help accelerate disc golf growth in St. Louis, all from a course in Hannibal that was being badly neglected for quite a while. I personally like Bluebird for a number of reasons, first of all, it is one more course in the area to play, at least there is a choice. It is a hard course on your disc wear & tear, it is hard on you physically, which I can use every extra workout I can get, check the weight of my bag when I start playing. It can be hard on your scorecard if you get some bad/luck shots. These are all things that work in my favor when playing on courses that have some of these aspect but are a further drive from home, also that is another reason I like it, the proximity to home for me. The wildlife factor is alway a huge bonus, except deer which means ticks, I also prefer the lower amount of golfers on the course as compared to White Birch or QR, that means a much more leisurly game. This course can be played backward as well, for a change of course, another plus. Also having played this course with the LAKERS about every 3 months or so there has been a noticable improvment on the course, yes it was much worse this time last year. They have painted some baskets, repaired basket #3, cleaned up some of the trash but some people just insist on throwing trash on the ground. :evil: Yes as with everything there is room for inprovment, more trash cans, teepads #3 & 8 would still be able to be emptied by the parks dept. trucks. A water fountian & a restroom somewhere near the course. SCORECARDS are desperatly needed, it has been over 2 years since I last saw some in the mailbox. I do have a solution for that 1 though, if you give me some of those newly printed scorecards that you mentioned, at the March Madness, I will put them at Bluebird this week.
Bottom line: We have this course in the ground so we can play it if we want or not. The St. Charles area does not have a lot of course locations yet and this one, albeit not the best, is still one of the closest to the St. Charles area. If the course is moved, we will not have this choice.

8-)
Fly long & prosper!
Bruce C.
The Traveling LAKERS
E-mail: TravelingLAKERS@hotmail.com
Lake Saint Louis, 63367
Cell # 314-606-3475
Ace= $167/$117
Sweeps= $10/$17
Fun= $443
emptv
Ace Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:17 pm

I also think that Bluebird is far from being "horrible"! It can treat you horribly some times with the bad breaks(roll aways, etc.) that can happen, but it is not bad for a nine-hole course. Yes, the original Discatchers with the shallow baskets are terrible(hole #1 there was stolen & has been replaced by a MUCH better, newer Discatcher basket), & the tees aren't too good either. But, I appreciate the variety & quantity of courses we have here in the St. Louis area, & I for one hope that Bluebird isn't going anywhere! I find it quite enjoyable to play a course & not have a bunch of other golfers there. Because of all the courses we have here, I might only make it out to Bluebird two or three times a year, but that Bluebird/Manchester combo is a fun one that I look forward to! 8-)
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby gflap on Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:19 pm

No need to dog the best 9 hole course in the St louis area. Finally played this gem last november and loved it. Even though my old ass shot a 34, I enjoyed the uneven terrain and the blind approaches. Not to mention no termites on a beautiful day. I wish someone would put another 9 in this very scenic location.
gflap
Birdie Poster

Postby REDARMY on Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:29 pm

i agree, bluebird is pretty cool.

but what's a golf coarse?

rough golf? :roll:
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby REDARMY on Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:08 pm

gflap wrote:No need to dog the best 9 hole course in the St louis area. Finally played this gem last november and loved it. Even though my old ass shot a 34, I enjoyed the uneven terrain and the blind approaches. Not to mention no termites on a beautiful day. I wish someone would put another 9 in this very scenic location.

gotta disagree with calling bluebird the best 9-er in STL, i think jokerst takes that crown....
Are YOU the d-bag who swiped all four of the putters I left at White Birch?
REDARMY
Ace Poster

Postby rondisc on Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:12 pm

RA,
Including you not many new players have seen BB at its finest! I would travel out there for LL if on a Sunday. The course is NOT maintained, but still a gem. Welcome to something else(I could put in different words but all I would do is get slammed) BB is a frikin challenge(period) The problem is the city does not maintain the course like they do for any playground/shelter at any Ellisville Park, and the city still has control. Ellisville! I wish I had a solution, but sometimes the web of politics dictates something else!

L8r and peace,
RonSTL

PS Politics S :x cks

:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
"Such a long long time to be gone, and a short time to be there."
rondisc
Ace Poster

Next

Return to Bluebird City Park