dave dunipace, google him.
story to follow...
Attachments
IMG_1080.jpg
dahig
Bogey Poster

Re: do you know this man?

Postby Puck'n'Disc5 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:09 am

Looks like the CEO and Co-founder of Innova according to basically any online site that has any information regarding him. Can't really find that exact picture of him online so I am wondering if you took that of him yourself sometime last year?

JL
Last edited by Puck'n'Disc5 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puck'n'Disc5
Birdie Poster

Postby bean928 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:45 pm

A guy who doesn't spend more than five minutes looking for a disc I'm guessing
RCF #17
bean928
Birdie Poster

Postby dahig on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:33 pm

alrighty then...
for everyone who did not google....

dave dunipace - PDGA #987
1980 worlds distance record holder with a throw of 458' (139.63 meters) with a wham-o/dga midnight flyer 141 gram disc. and for those of you who have never seen (let alone heard of) that style of disc, it's a lot closer to a "toss and catch" frisbee that anything we throw today. and yeessss i know that we now have blizzards that are lighter yet than what i'm talking about... but, if a blizzard disc were a sports car, then a wham-o midnight flyer is a u-haul truck (really).
and finally... you are correct sir dave dunipace is one of the co-founders and CEO of innova disc.
and here we are playing with him and jerry ross (warehouse manager for innova and good friend of mr. dunipace). that's dave on the left, myself, my son matt on the pad and jerry on the right.
Attachments
DSC01851 resized.jpg
dahig
Bogey Poster

Postby dahig on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:42 pm

went with the family to vacation in L.A. the week of x-mas
hadn't been back since i left in 1990. (my ghod that was a while back)
played coyote point/lake casitas (#2 ranked course in cali) with tyler and josh on sunday.
posted up in dgcourse review about course conditions, a guide, who might want to play...
recieved a reply from a couple of players, one from eric schaffer and suzette simons. thought "cool i'll get some course guidance and play with some locals".
suzette simons: google her name...(like i did)
multiple ladies world champ,works for innova,former touring pro, and now that she's 50... ladies masters champ. (oh shit!!)
looks like i'll be the comic relief for a couple of rounds.
but i thought it was nice that some one of that caliber would offer to play with a nobody like me(us). AND to play with a pro at anytime is pretty cool.
family stuff on mon.tues. and wed.
thursday... was very excited to play LaMirada course with the boys. this is the course i stumbled upon way back in 86' and put me on the path that has lead up to where i'm at as a player. since i hadn't played it since 1990 i had hoped to soundly WHIP ITS ASS!! ( walked away humbled of course) recently found out that LaMirada is the 2nd disc golf course ever to have been installed (thank you steady Ed. way back in 78'). something else kinda cool about LaMirada.... out of curiosity i started counting the number of courses that i've played over the years. la mirada was my 1st and it was my 100th. also contacted some la mirada club members and a man named jerry ross came out to play with us (bringing my la mirada bagtag too) and guess what? he works for innova too!!
and finally on friday josh and myself traveled to pasadena to play the historic Oak Park (very 1st disc golf course ever put in. thank you again steady ed!) then up to veterans park to meet up with some locals and then finish off the day at a beautiful disc course that is on a ball golf course called verdugo hills.
FUN,FUN, FUN....
dahig
Bogey Poster

Postby dahig on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:51 pm

o.k.
before we even left for the trip i had been online (dgreview, la mirada dgc and ventura dgc) in contact with individuals who would like to meet up and play at the courses we were going to visit. my first response was from suzette simons who i've already posted about (but have more to add about our adventures in her post). along with a couple of other guys, jerry ross answers me that he is one of the board members of la mirada club, is free to play on the day we will be there and would be happy to come out. i am on facebook and in his profile it shows that he works for innova, "very cool" i say "this should be interesting".
we show up at the course as jerry is pulling up, he's a very nice man, in his early 60's, very knowledgeable about the game, eager to give advice about form and aspects of disc. chit-chat about where were from and current conditions of play, he is originally from montana and has played on some mountain courses in crazy weather conditions. we talked about how we left IL. cold to play in nice (65 degree) weather and he says he has seen it get to -65 degrees in montana. -65!?! holy crap!! he laughs and says "i've never gone out and played in that, it's just too cold. but it's still fun to play at -20...".
so.... talk comes around to disc and i say "i HAVE to ask you brother, what's it like to work for innova?" he turns to me with a smile so big i thought the top of his head was going to slide off and says "dave. what do you think? it's the best, simply the best...).
so we head over to hole #1 right by their pro shop (a pro shop AT THE COURSE! sweet.) and begin play. when we make it over to hole #3 which is close to the parking lot jerry says "hey, there's my buddy dave. do guys mind if he jumps in with us?" (can you imagine how i would have felt afterwards if i had declined?). but you guys know me and the obvious answer was "sure thing... the more the merrier. any friend of yours is welcome".
so dave comes over to play and jerry introduces us as his new friends from il. we continue playing, and talking about disc and form and shot selection, etc... both dave and jerry where very nice and polite about how we slobs where playing, giving us plenty of advise about our form and what minor corrections that would help improve our play (basically a free instuctional lesson). oh and just for the record... it was mostly matt and josh, they liked my form . and also just want to say... just like all the rest of us they had plenty of miscues, griplock and chumped putts. so, even tho i knew these guys were players, i wasn't all that impressed (jusy sayin'..). but once again it's very nice to have others whom you can see that KNOW what their talking about take the interest and time to try to share their knowledge with you because THEY would like to see YOUR good shots too.
so as were playing along dave and jerry are asking us about what discs we like to play with, what ones do we like/dislike, why do we like/dislike... and you guys know me going on about the monarch, the stingray and a couple of others. "well, what about putters?" dave asks. and all three of us (me ,matt and josh) start going on about gateway and how great they are, why we like them so much... (not realizing at the time WHO it is were actually talking to).
so...as we're playing i say (jokingly) to dave " so let me guess...you work for innova too?" he smiles and says "why yes, yes i do". i say " man that's sweet. to work for innova, man that's sweet. so...what do you do?" dave says " oh i design discs". my eyebrows shoot up as i've never had the opportunity to speak with a disc designer (other than dave mac) and proceeded i ask him about a couple of disc molds from over the years (my beloved stingray and monarch). then as we approach the next tee both he and jerry whip out a couple of discs and say "here try this out". well these are the new proto-type "terns" that at the time had not been released. how cool is that? to play with some brand new unreleased disc!! to me they fly a lot like my monarchs, just a little more overstable. but how cool, what fun!!
but the experience of just playing with a couple of good ol' boys for a couple of rounds at that beautiful park, just playing and talking disc, talking about our course and playing the previous day at lake casitas with suzette and how nice she was to us was so much fun boys it is very difficult to convey here on a website. it was memorable to say the least.
SOOOO....
the rounds are over, were shaking hands, saying our goodbyes and thank you's. dave drives away and jerry comes up to me and says " hey i didn't want to say anything earlier so as not to mess with your game or have it somehow be uncomfortable for you guys... BUT.... that was dave dunipace co-founder and ceo of innova disc". AND that dave and suzette are a couple. my jaw drops a bit and i am in awe of the situation that we've just been through...(i'm pretty sure the brick i shit is still in the parking lot at the course. it's just to big to be moved) and THEN i realize that over the course of play i stuck my foot in my mouth more than once, and THEN i'm thankful that i didn't show up with a bag full of say discraft or any of their other competitors discs. and THEN i realize that we WERE going on about gateway putters.
and THEN, then i realize that all through the day both dave dunipace and jerry ross... that even though these gentlemen are in what all the rest of us envious slobs believe... having dream jobs/positions (and they do ). that both of these guys came out to park that day as players to have a fun couple rounds with some other players and do what we all do when we step out on the course... love watching plastic glide though the air and land (hopefully) where we were aiming.

i am so very thankful to have had the opportunity to have done just that.
dahig
Bogey Poster

Postby Puck'n'Disc5 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:59 pm

That is an awesome story. Dave has some good instructional videos on youtube. Always helps getting tips from one of the best!

JL
Puck'n'Disc5
Birdie Poster

Postby legendarydave on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:47 pm

holycrapawesome.
legendarydave
Par Poster

Return to General DG Talk