Hole 5

Alton, IL

Hole 5

Postby Puck'n'Disc5 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:47 pm

It appears as if during the month of December, someone decided to butcher the 5th hole at my beloved home course :evil:
Puck'n'Disc5
Birdie Poster

Re: Hole 5

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:07 am

What exactly did they do?
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby Puck'n'Disc5 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:19 am

The hole is designed to drive all the way up the hill to put your disc in the clearing in order to make the hard left hand turn at the basket. Long arm players can actually park this hole with a good drive and nice skip. Players that struggled to reach the top of the hill had options to either try to throw one through the woods and get lucky or try to throw a long hyzer/anhyzer towards the basket.

Essentually, someone(s) cleared all of those trees/shrubbery that leads from the basket to maybe around 3/4 going up the hill. With a good drive and skip, an average arm player can now park this hole. Let alone, anyone that those a poor drive should still be able to give themselves a chance at a 3.

Considering the course, that was one of those holes that no one was considered to be one of the tougher threes on the course. Now it has moved to perhaps one of the easier par 3's on the course. Anyone that goes and plays the course can tell that it was probably more than just 1 person and that they definitely spent some time on this.

We ruled out the park because because I think they typically ask the chain gang before they ever do anything significant to the course like removing trees and the chain gang always asks the park if it is ok to remove trees, shrubbery, etc in order to improve the course.

JL
Puck'n'Disc5
Birdie Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:47 pm

Well that's just great. Folks have done the same thing at a few other courses over the last two years, but I don't think they've ever been caught. I know that what they have done IS a prosecutable offense (relative to vandalism of city property). So, if you find out, I suggest making a real example of them to serve as a warning to others who may be inclined to follow the same ignorant line of thinking.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby Puck'n'Disc5 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:37 am

That is a good point. I never really thought about that before. I have a good feeling that the culprit(s) will be found by summer time. Hardly anyone plays this course on a regular basis, so I have a feeling that whoever did it may have just started (obviously they have a difficult time reaching the top of the hill off their drive) and I probably have never seen them on the course before.

It actually looks like whoever did it even dragged part of the trees they cut down and threw them behind 7's basket, which is the 163' drop off hole.

JL
Puck'n'Disc5
Birdie Poster

Return to Rock Springs Park