The 2013 Ice Bowl Series - STL Area Food Bank Fundraisers

Info and Discussion on STLDGC and other St. Louis-area Events

The 2013 Ice Bowl Series - STL Area Food Bank Fundraisers

Postby discdoh on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:02 pm

This year the club is scaling back a little bit on the annual Winter Series. This is not because we weren't successful last year, it is simply a matter of manpower and the amount of effort that it takes to coordinate 3 events in the period of a month...it's just a bit much. We are only going to run 2 events this time around. We are hoping that this won't affect the amount of charity that everyone showed us last year. I am sure that the STL Area Food Bank counts on us making our yearly donation more than we can even imagine.

Last year we made the 12th biggest Ice Bowl donation in the country (in conjunction with the JCS Sharpshooters and Hazelwood Parks & Receration Department)...VERY impressive! We raised $3,900 and 1,144 lbs. of non-perishables. Thank you everyone for that awesome success! We would like to try and duplicate or improve upon last year if possible. Since the club is only running 2 events, we will really need to bring in a large number of participants at each event to make it happen. To help facilitate this we are utilizing some of the same incentives from last year and including a couple of new ones.

First off, we will be doing a raffle just like last year. Everyone receives 1 raffle ticket with their entry fee. Additionally, for every non-perishable food item that you bring you will receive a raffle ticket. There is no limit to how many food items you can bring. If you bring 100 cans of food, you will get 100 raffle tickets in return. Another way to get some tickets is to place your drive inside the 30ft. circle on a couple of the shorter holes during the round (remember this from last year?). You can also buy raffle tickets if you would prefer to donate cash to the Food Bank instead - $1/ticket or $5 for 6 tickets. At the conclusion of the JB Ice Bowl event we will hold the raffle. All of the donated prizes will be numerically assigned a winner. You do not have to be present to win - we will hold all prizes for the winners. Speaking of prizes, if you have anything DG related to donate, please bring it to the Holly Daze or either of the Ice Bowl events. All donations are tax deductible - you will receive a receipt from the club (a non-profit organization). The donations are what makes the raffle a success!

Second, we will have a SPECIAL CTP for anyone that participates in both events. This will happen after the round at JB near the Blackhawk Shelter. Everyone that qualifies will get 2 throws at the basket. The top throws will claim the prizes (1 prize per person only). We will work out the details on the prizes ASAP and let everyone know. Rest assured that they will be NICE!

Third, we will also be offering up our normal $5 CTP & 50/50 Package to all club members. This will include the normal 3 X 50/50 holes, 2 X ZANFEL holes, 2 X RCF holes, and should also include some other sponsored CTP surprises!

Here is the flyer with the details...

We will be combining our efforts with the Hazelwood Parks & Recreation Department this year as well. Keep on the lookout for their event on February 2nd. They will be coming up with a flyer for their event in the near future...

If you have any questions, please post them here and we will try to answer them as quickly as possible.

discdoh
Ace Poster

Re: The 2013 Ice Bowl Series - STL Area Food Bank Fundraiser

Postby emoney on Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:09 pm

what will be the divisions?
Live Life and Laugh At Me
2013 RCF TAG#83
emoney
Birdie Poster

Postby discdoh on Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:42 pm

We will be offering the normal gamut of divisions. If there are enough people to field a division (minimum 3), then that division will be available. Realize that this is a fundraiser event, and that there are no payouts. The plaques are offered as a competetive incentive...play the best in your division (AMs ONLY) and you will get a very nice custom plaque with your name on it to hang on the wall. This is in addition to the warm, fuzzy feeling you get from helping out the less fortunate and the awesome CTPs, raffles, and other games that will be going on during and after the rounds.
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby Schelpy on Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:16 pm

Ok I'm really wanting to play both of these events, but im scheduled to work at 330 on Saturday, so i have a couple of questions.

What time do you think we would be done with the actual round? And is it a rolling start or does it depend on participants (assuming there is no cap)?
Schelpy
Bogey Poster

Postby discdoh on Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:47 am

I can't imagine that the round will take longer than 4 hours, even if we need to add some extra holes due to more than 90 players showing up (max 5 players per hole). These will be shotgun starts, so be there on time...
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby mkane on Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:12 am

Welcome friends to Creve Couer the longest disc golf course in the area,the flattest most open course, epitomizing the difficult struggles of the people that the ice bowl series is played for. There you are thinking you had a good drive but no, you have come up short.Imagine the struggles of the less fortunate people who we are trying to help here, coming up short and not being able to even provide food for their families. Remember this as you curse Ben for setting this course at one of its longest settings it has "Ben" in a while, and seek solice knowing you can go home and get a warm meal while some folks can't even do that. Imagine as your arm is barely teathered in your layers of warm clothes from trying to make shots again and again and still the basket seems to never get closer, that the less fortunate feel that way every minute of every day.
Yes I am calling all members to come out and prove with gusto you can handle this horror of flora endure its magna carta, and give your love to this game this Saturday. You can know that the results of what you experience for a couple hours may bring a smile to an unsuspecting face in the crowd you may never meet personally but in your soul, sore shoulder, knee, hip or wrist you know how they may feel most of the time.
NO WIMPS NO WHINERS
HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL THERE.
mkane
Ace Poster

Postby Richard~Cheese on Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:50 pm

Will the plaques be awarded to the AMS for both events? (1 for C.C & 1 for J.B). Or a combined score plaque of both weekends?(1 Ice Bowl AM plaque)
Anyone cooking lunch?
The "art" of revolution....
Richard~Cheese
Birdie Poster

Postby Puck'n'Disc5 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:41 pm

Richard~Cheese wrote:Will the plaques be awarded to the AMS for both events? (1 for C.C & 1 for J.B). Or a combined score plaque of both weekends?(1 Ice Bowl AM plaque)
Anyone cooking lunch?

Last year the plaques were awarded seperately for each event. Nothing fo the combination of all the events. So I would assume there would be seperate plaques for each event and nothing for the combination of the two. As far as the food, I'm not too sure about that one.

JL
Puck'n'Disc5
Birdie Poster

Postby discdoh on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:00 pm

JL has it correct...there will be separate plaques for both events. We will take a group photo before the round and this will be used for the background of the plaque. We did this last year for a set of plaques and it was really nice!

Please bring as many donations as you can. Raffle donations (tax deductible) and food donations go a LONG way towards reaching our goal. Grab some of that old (but new) plastic that you can't throw (trust me, I know) and use it for a good cause. See you tomorrow!

Here is a teaser for the CTP action...

discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby emoney on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:03 am

Ok...so i signed up for both events. So what is the special ctp? Is it on the JB round?
Live Life and Laugh At Me
2013 RCF TAG#83
emoney
Birdie Poster

Next

Return to STLDGC & Area Tournaments