horner park in lebanon, il

Carlyle, Centralia, Coles Creek, and Others

Re: horner park in lebanon, il

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:31 pm

Each of the holes involving water have an red tee that already allows you to skip going over the water.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby legendarydave on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:28 pm

Yeah it looks like a sweet setup... I know I play with people who are waayyyyy above my skill level sometimes so it will probably stay in play... I need to make a road trip!
legendarydave
Par Poster

Postby Puck'n'Disc5 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:31 am

legendarydave wrote:Ummmm... how far is that shot across the lake... looks like I'll lose about 3 strokes by going around it if I go there to play...

Referring to the blue tees..

I think the only holes where going over of the pond is necessary is on holes 1, 3, 17, and maybe hole 2, depending on how high the water is and shot choice.

The first hole plays about 300 ft. It looks like about a 225 ft shot will at least get your across the pond.

On the 3rd hole, the pond comes into play on pretty much every shot. There's also 2 shots were you almost have to go over the pond, the drive being one of them. A short drive will get over the pond, but it will probably be difficult to get over the pond on the second shot. About 275-325 ft drive down the fairway is ideal. I think that hole plays to about 450 ft. Players who can launch over 400 ft may actually be able to reach the part of the pond that is short of the basket.

Hole 17 plays about 220 to the basket, and there is space before and behind the basket to land. The map may be a little deceiving for that hole. Note that there is a maintenance road not far beyond the basket which is OB.

Seventeen is an interesting hole for coming down the stretch. A deuce could potentially clinch a match, but a circle 4 can also potentially lose a match. If you throw into the lake off the drive, I think the red tee box (or somewhere around the red tee box) is a drop zone.

Hope this helps!

JL
Puck'n'Disc5
Birdie Poster

Postby Chris K on Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:50 pm

I played this course on Thursday. The park is closed to traffic so you have to park near the tennis courts. The Christmas lights and cutouts are set up throughout the park as added obstacles and the course remains open for play. Parking near the tennis courts allows you to start on hole 4 and come back to your car in three holes.
I enjoyed the layout and the signage is great. Navigating the course without a map is not a problem. We played both rounds from the Pro tees since the Am tees seemed too short for our liking. 108 (54x2) + 9 was hot after 36 holes. Jake got an Ace on hole 5 in the second round.
Horner Park is worth the drive and I believe the Collinsville gang has added this to their 10am Sunday doubles rotation.
Chris K
Ace Poster

Postby legendarydave on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:23 am

Holy crap! This is just sounding awesome... and yes, after reading puckndisc's reply I am sad to say that I will have to play the red tees when I go visit!
legendarydave
Par Poster

Postby dehaas on Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:34 pm

the 3 man throwdown against ms will be at horner park for its third iteration...thinking it will be in september or october this time around. that gives the course a little under a year to wear in a bit and some more imrovements to be made. any word on when the 2013 rcf calendar will be released? i'm wanting to see which weekends do not have club events so i can pick the tournament date.
dehaas
Ace Poster

Postby Ninascott2001 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:09 pm

Is it true? I heard they are removing the baskets and there will no longer be a course here? This makes me sad since it is in the town I live in.
Ninascott2001
Bogey Poster

Postby MADDISC on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:31 pm

I do not think that is the case.
I think I heard that they closed a few holes because of the light display. So only until after Christmas.

Hope this helps.
MADDISC
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:16 pm

Yup, MADDISC is right. The course is only closed because of the lights. It'll all be back in after that. There's a few other courses in the area that have the same thing: Rock Springs is one.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Previous

Return to Other Illinois Courses