Super Nooner - Willmore Editions - 11/4 & 11/11

RCF & other STL-area Clubs' News, Q & A, and Conversation

Super Nooner - Willmore Editions - 11/4 & 11/11

Postby discdoh on Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:17 pm

The City of St. Louis has given us the go ahead to run a couple of events at Willmore Park!

There will be a Super Nooner on both days. This simply means that the JB Sunday Nooner will temporarily be moved to Willmore Park for both of these Sundays. I believe that the cost will be $10 ($5 to payouts & $5 to the Wilmore Course Fund) and $1 for the ACE POOL (optional). The random draw doubles teams will be selected sometime around 12:00P-12:300P. From what I understand, this course is something special that everyone should thoroughly enjoy!

If you have a portable basket, please bring it with you. We might need it. It is always better to have too many than to not have enough!

If you cannot play in the Super Nooner, have no fear...the course is available for anyone to play all day. Just come on by and check it out!

I will add more information as it becomes available...

Last edited by discdoh on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Hoppy 2013!
discdoh
Ace Poster

Re: Super Nooner - Wilmore Editions - 11/4 & 11/11

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:06 am

Can someone provide some directions to this park?? Everyone I've asked so far has no idea where Wilmore Park is, including me............. :?: :?:
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby discdoh on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:30 am

Here is a map...

discdoh
Ace Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:41 pm

Just wanted to get a basic idea of where the park was located........thanks Greg!!
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Re: Super Nooner - Willmore Editions - 11/4 & 11/11

Postby GeorgeS on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:59 am

Woo hoo. i will do everyhing i can to be there sunday. i have to work but should be able to make it there on time. very excited this is going down.
GeorgeS
Bogey Poster

Postby Puck'n'Disc5 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:38 pm

Sounds pretty sweet, hopin to make it out there. Don't forget to fall back this weekend! 8-)
Puck'n'Disc5
Birdie Poster

Postby MADDISC on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:30 pm

The Super Nooner at Willmore park was a huge sucess. We had 52 people show up and all went well.
We raised 272.00 doolars for the course already!!!!!
Greg Doh and his partner Pat Ruschke shot a 51 for the win and they split 100.00.
I paid out to 6 spots which is a 54 and 70.oo Atti and Jeff Mckluskey

A tie for 3rd at 55 Matt and Jason
and Jake and Derrick They split 80.00

A tie for 5th and 6th a 56 They redonated their 10.00
For John Q and Matt Augastine
and Kyle and Eric

We are going to do this again next Sunday. Please try to get there early so we can get the course set up.

P S I am somehow down 1 basket It is a black Innova bag basket that was supposed to be on hole 11, when I went to get it it was not there. Someone picked it up and took it with them.
Please call or bring it next Sunday as it was borrowed .

Thanks
Mark D

314-713-8640
MADDISC
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:11 pm

I must admit that I was very skeptical about the suitability of Willmore Park as a location for a DG course. Just looking at a map or looking from the main road, this looks like a skinny, crowded park with very little room to spare... especially for an 18 hole course. I'd also heard from random sources that the course was short, crowded and had safety issues.

All those concerns have been alleviated and those "random sources" were wrong.

Willmore is a deceptively BIG park. Lots of room to spread out, lots of space to explore and it's a really pretty and scenic park that truly represents what St. Louis is supposed to look like.

The course is actually pretty long. It's not CC or Carrollton, but I think it's similar in overall length to Sioux or maybe just a bit shorter (with much less walking between tees). I felt that there was a decent amount of variety, good terrain changes, plenty of trees, OB's and general hazzards. I never felt like it was difficult to avoid other park-goers or traffic and I don't foresee safety being an issue (unless the player is a total d-bag). I had a really good time playing this course - I felt that the challenge level was just right, the length and mix was just right and was very pleased to see very minimal areas of honeysuckle, overgrowth or tall grasses to swallow discs. The water hazzards (ponds) were there and required a player to pay attention to them, but they were not overly intimidating... but they do come into play - just right.

Other positives were great and plentiful parking, good shelters, plenty of restrooms (although I did not check to see if they were unlocked) and what seemed like a very friendly public.

I think there are a few minor tweeks that could make the course a little better - a slight adjustment to a tee location here and there could be used to do things that would add a little length to short holes, keep discs off the path or road and take care of what myself and some others thought were a bit too unforgiving tee-off challenges. I suppose there might be a few opportunities that could improve the walking distance between a couple of the holes. I think that there will also be a real need for some navigation markers - the arrows spray painted on the grass were great for now... but without them, I'd have been totally lost most of the time. Hey, like I said, "minor tweeks"... nothing seriously out of place.

I was very pleased, for the most part, with the good behavior of the 50-60 players that showed up yesterday. I'd say we set a good example for what folks should expect from disc golfers.

Some thoughts on things we could do better: I think we could do a better job of keeping the foul language down. I know that this has frequently been a complaint of other park-goers and park neighbors around the area and it's one of the easiest things to avoid. While the group on Sunday did an excellent job of keeping trash picked up, I can guarantee we need to encourage the city to get some trashcans out on the course (there are currently no trashcans anywhere except at the shelters and in the parking lot).

Another important thing to remember: There is no consumption of alchohol in public spaces in the City of St. Louis. I thought that it was just that nothing in bottles was allowed, but I was wrong. Here is exactly what the St. Louis City Code says on the subject: "No person shall drink any nonintoxicating beer or intoxicating liquor in any park, public building, street, sidewalk, alley, highway, parking lot, thoroughfare, or other public place unless consumption of intoxicating liquor or nonintoxicating beer in such place has been expressly authorized in writing by the Excise Commissioner."

Also, dogs MUST be kept on a leash at all times. This is just a good idea at Willmore, period, as so many people walk there dogs here and there is a dog park.

The one thing we cannot afford, if we want this park and others to actually get permanent courses, is for disc golfers to become known for breaking the law.

A HUGE THANK YOU to all the folks who worked to make this happen. Those who designed it, those who set it up, those who brought baskets and those who attended! Thank You.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby Richard~Cheese on Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:20 pm

"P S I am somehow down 1 basket It is a black Innova bag basket that was supposed to be on hole 11, when I went to get it it was not there. Someone picked it up and took it with them.
Please call or bring it next Sunday as it was borrowed ."

Thanks
Mark D

314-713-8640[/quote]

Not to take away from puppets review. I think this needs to be brought to everyones attention. :evil:
The "art" of revolution....
Richard~Cheese
Birdie Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:29 am

Oh, not at all Jay.

It just occured to me that Tom picked that up when our card finished on hole 11. It was a red, cloth portable.
He carried it all the way down to the parking lot, but I left to go get lunch and have no idea what he did with it past that point.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Next

Return to Club Announcements & Discussion