Club by-laws

a forum for talking about Disc Golf in St. Louis and Beyond

Club by-laws

Postby Richard~Cheese on Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:45 pm

I have been searching high and low for a copy of the club by-laws for awhile now with no prevail. I have asked past/current board members, but never really got a anwser. With the new 2013 tags in play now, all the normal back and forth about when tags are in play is back. Some club members say its in the by-laws. From what I understand the by-laws have fallen off the face of the earth. Considering they were written up when the club was just a handfull of people, and now we are pushing over 600 annualy again hopefully. Maybe its about time to update said by-laws. Also I feel they should be out there for our members to refer to if they do exist. If anyone knows where I can get a copy or if they can post them on the forums it would be greatly appriciated.
Last edited by Richard~Cheese on Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The "art" of revolution....
Richard~Cheese
Birdie Poster

Re: Club bi-laws

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:54 pm

The bylaws did not disappear or fall off the face of the earth, but you are correct that they need to be updated and presented publicly. The official copy is on paper, but this year it will be digitized and updates, clarifications and transparency of these documents are part of the club boards objectives.

I do not know if this will directly answer all of the questions about bag tags, but here is the public paragraph about bag tags from the bylaws.

Bag Tag Challenge
The River City Flyers Bag Tag Challenge provides a year round competitive format for members. The Bag
Tag Challenge begins at the end of the year Club Championships mandatory tag shuffle and the new years tags begin at the following days Club Championships new year kick-off. Each member shall receive the next available number in ascending succession for their scores in the Club Championships and there after when joining the club. River City Flyers members must bring their tag to all River City Flyer events to be eligible for the traveling ace pool. Members may pay an additional $5 to be eligible for the ace pool for that day. Challenges are automatic/compulsory at River City Flyers events, for Members on the same card. The only exception is at "bag tag challenge" tournaments where the tags are turned in at the start of the event. A replacement Bag Tag can be obtained by Members for a $5 fee. The Member will receive the next available Tag number.

So, before this starts too big of a discussion, remember that this needs to be expanded on, flushed out and revised to cover as many situations as can reasonably be known before it can be taken as "gospel". There will be clarity, it will come.

One thing that I have heard repeated numerous times and which makes fantastic sense from the point of maintaining a spirit of
"good sportsmanship" is that, "Nobody is allowed to decline a bag tag challenge from another club member." To bolster that concept, the excuse of "I left my tag at home." is bad form and is to be frowned upon. Also, I believe it is known that there is no such legitimate excuse as "I promised another player I would save this tag for when we play." If that "other player" had wanted that tag number so bad, they should have played you for it sooner and you can tell them who won it from you so they can challenge that person.

That's all I've got for you.

There are still a couple of club board of directors positions open and a person who wanted a hand in updating the club bylaws could step up and volunteer to take on the responsibilities of one of those positions.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Re: Club by-laws

Postby Richard~Cheese on Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:59 pm

Thanks there puppet. Do you have a copy that I can see? While we are on the subject of public records. Why is it we see the SCDGC, and even various leagues post thier financial records but never the RCF? Maybe I ask of to much? Im goin to pm you for more details. Thanks again
Richard~Cheese
Birdie Poster

Postby rondisc on Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:45 am

I actually ask to see a copy of this a few years ago to no avail. This needs to be available to every club member and should have been every year previous. 500 X $20 is not a small number nor is our club a small club anymore.
"Such a long long time to be gone, and a short time to be there."
rondisc
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:50 am

Again, the current board is going to be working on finishing this living document and making it available to everyone. This is a new year for the club and we can only do so much "catch-up work" AND still make sure that our events, merchandise, courses and so forth are kept running - you know, the things the members really joined to support.

The club board is still running short of people and for every person missing, another has to take time that they could have spent working on details, like revising and publishing the bylaws, to fill in for those missing functions. That doesn't mean it won't happen, just means it will take longer.

In the meantime, If there is something specific from the unfinished, outdated document, that you have been dying to know, please ask and I will endeavor to get an answer for you. Rational feedback will help guide the board in revising and finishing this process...
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby pjohnmeyer on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:30 pm

I will happily volunteer to help clean up the by-laws in any way I can, and help prepare them to be published online and/or printed. Having only played for a few years I may not know what the "outdated" bits are, but I can pose questions either to the board or here on these forums.
Last edited by pjohnmeyer on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pjohnmeyer
Par Poster

Postby gflap on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:33 pm

Why didnt I get a copy of these by laws when I joined years ago? I could put them in my files next to my rules of disc golf book.
gflap
Birdie Poster

Postby Richard~Cheese on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:23 pm

I dont think everyone understands what a bylaw is. They have nothing to do with the game itself. They are a set of rules put together by an elected board on how a non for profit organization is to be run. For intance what possions the board consist of, what will happen to checking accounts, or course epuipment if the club is ever dissolved. What the mission statement of the is. Club name, election info, disaplinary actions, taxes, ect. They do not have to be public information, but should be shared showing the non for profits good intentions. Any added clauses to said bylaws should be brought to attention by a board member and then voted on publicly by the club members only, not just the board. And should also be overviewed by the board everyother year even if there are no changes. To make sure they are not outdated. Like I said they have little or nothing to do with the way the game is played or tags. Also pj unless you have any knowledge of contract law I wouldnt try and tackle this one.
Richard~Cheese
Birdie Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:10 pm

JBA has the gist of it.
It just defines the goal of the club, the board members, the entitlements of membership and so forth. It doesn't define game rules or anything that most people care about. What I feel it really is supposed to do is to give a guideline so that, as the board of directors changes, they know what is expected of them by the club members and how club business is to be conducted.

It's not as big of a deal as it sounds, unless there is a dispute over board responsibilities, money or the like. Seeing as there have been no, nada, zero contested board positions for the last 3 years, most of what it lays out hasn't even been needed. JBA's original question about the rules of "playing for St. Louis Disc Golf Club tags" happens to one of the very few things in the by-laws that doesn't pertain to defining board member responsibilities.

Of what is there, I feel pretty confident that duties have been fulfilled and the obligation to members has been met in accordance. Like I said, it just needs to be updated so that it covers the growth of the club and some subjects that were not originally included that need current day clarity. I promise, nobody has been getting a raw deal.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Return to General DG Talk