Flywood Discs

Talk about discs and other DG equipment

Re: Flywood Discs

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:06 am

They are never going to get PDGA approval and I know that. I totally respect the PDGA guidlines for competition, this is just for recreational enjoyment and I'm just enjoying the opportunity to throw wood. I don't ever expect to carry an all wood disc bag or anything... just playing the "variety is the spice of life" card.
I am really careful to never ever throw any disc at any time when there is any possibility that my best or worst possible throw could come within 20' of hitting someone or a car. It annoys some people but I'm always safety first (mostly for others, but also for not getting sued) and just won't do it.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:47 pm

It's been a little while here, but now that I've had a significant amount of time to throw my friends Harvest (flywood's midrange), I wanted to comment on that too.

The Harvest is probably the best overall disc I've thrown and as a midrange, it's pretty much perfect. Super stable, straight as an arrow and seems to hold any line you want with a nice predictable finishing fade that still lands flat. It's a little faster and longer than most midrange models, so I suppose one could say it flies like a long fast Buzzz, but has no flex.

I have ordered more of these so I can have a Harvest of my own, another Log (putter) and I'm getting a new prototype driver that I sent Flywood a tech design for. I'll report later.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:05 am

"LONG POST WARNING!"

I had been too busy to report in on the order of Flywood I got a couple of months ago, but since I just got another order and have some time, here I go.

I figured I could make this more comprehensive by using some pictures to go along with my comments for each disc. It's probably overkill, but since I might be the only one of 2 or 3 people that use this site that currently own Flywood discs...

First thing to know is that there have been 3 different types of Flywood, similar to the different plastics from the big manufacturers. There's been "Classic" (6 alternating plies of natural color hard-rock maple), "Fly" (5 alternating plies of natural hard-rock maples and 1 pressure-dyed colored ply of a lighter wood) and SuperFly (5 plies of natural hard-rock maple and 2 pressure-dyed color plies). The buyer used to be asked to specify which layers the colors would be on and which colors they would like on those layers when buying a "Fly" or "SuperFly" disc. Now, Flywood is phasing out the "SuperFly" and, while you can still choose the color for a "Fly" model, the colored ply will always be the top of the flight plate (I was told, quite logically, that this is because the wood the colored ply is made from is lighter weight than the hard-rock maple and therefore leaves more of the weight on the outer rim, where it belongs. It was a good choice and does make for a better flying disc.)

Second thing to know is that there are currently 3 models: The "Log" (putter), "Harvest" (mid-range) and "Walking Stick" (driver). You can also send totally custom disc orders and the owner/woodsmith will make it for you. Each is currently available in Classic and Fly.

The "Walking Stick" driver has recently undergone a dramatic redesign that has almost doubled it's distance and totally changed it's flight. The old Walking Stick design (which can be seen in profile in an earlier post in this thread) was not exactly a great disc; it was really overstable and liked to turn it's bottom up in the direction it was flying - which caused it to slow down quickly and turn really hard into an edge down fade.

The "Classic" series is a little shorter from top to bottom because of the added color layer on the Fly. Classics are also a little heavier on the center/flight plate. These two factors mean that the Classics are generally a little bit understable.

The "Fly" series are a little taller from top to bottom and are lighter in the middle/flight plate, so they are generally more flat flying.

The "SuperFly", which is possibly a thing of the past (the owner is still deciding) are/were a little taller still and tended to be slightly overstable by comparison, but had, in my opinion, a more secure grip - nothing dramatic, just a tiny bit more to get my long fingers into.

Here is a collage picture of all of my Flywood.

Below is a description and pictures of each disc. The green arrow in the middle of the side-by-sides shows the basic flight path I'm getting. The "profile" shots of them are a little misleading because my camera tends to fish-eye lense on close-ups a bit. You'll find a detailed, to scale profile drawing of the new Walking Stick design and the Prototype I ordered. I WILL do more of these drawings as time allows. I know a lot of people wanted to see the profile of the Harvest (mid-range), so I will do that next.

Something to keep in mind as you read and think about how these will fly is that they are completely rigid. That lack of flex has shown them to be very forgiving of OAT and pretty good at cutting the wind. I guess the same differences between throwing a soft plastic and a rigid plastic apply here, just to a new degree of rigidness. They also don't exactly "beat in" over time... they get dings and tend to get a little more consistent and longer over time, but the shape and flight path haven't changed with time.

I'll start with the disc I've used the most, the SuperFly Log. I have been throwing it on about 80% of my putts and putter distance approaches since I bought it in January. I play about 64 holes per week, every week. So this Log has been into the basket about 819 times. Keep in mind, I don't always make it all the way in, so I hit the basket about an additional 300 times on top of that - as well as a bunch of trees along the way. I also use it for putting practice at home for about an additional 100 hits per week. I've used it a lot.

When you look at the picture, remember that all of the light marks along the edge of the top and all along the rim at the bottom are from when my dog decided to use it as a chew toy in early February. I filled in the holes and built up the inner rim where she had pretty well screwed it up badly. That actually worked pretty well and made it perfectly playable again. It looks ugly, but flies as good as before. There are no splinters, no splits/cracks, no warping and no delaminating. It is heavily marked with tiny dings and dents all along the leading edge, but it is nothing different from what a plastic putter would look like after this much play. It's been soaking wet, left in the bag in the trunk of my car at all times when not in use and I've only refreshed the finish with tung oil twice. You can see a picture of what it looked like new on page 3 of this thread.

The SuperFly Log is 2.2cm tall, 21cm diameter and has an almost identical profile to (minus the little bead) and flies pretty much just like a VooDoo. It weighs 174g. It gets a little more distance and a little faster spin than most putters. It is slightly overstable, but that's how I like my putters. There has been a lot of observation and discussion between myself and others around town (including the guys at Gateway Discs) who have thrown the Logs into the baskets as to the the difference between the popular, soft, rubbery putters and something so hard and slick like the Flywood. The main question is, "which is better for staying in the basket?" The consensus is that "it just depends on where you hit." Sometimes it WAS better to have a soft, rubbery putter, while other times, where the soft putter would have bounced off or back from the chains, the Log, with its slick surface, just slipped right in or turned down and into the basket. So, it all depends on tiny little nuances of the throw and where it hits. Everyone agrees that it makes a cool and satisfying sound when it hits the chains.

The Classic Log is 1.85cm tall and is 21cm diameter. It weighs 175g. I can't say that I have ever seen another putter with a similar profile - it's very symetrical from top to bottom and has a very plain, rounded leading edge and an almost perfectly flat top. It is a slightly understable disc, probably more understable than any putter I can immediately think of, but that's been a good thing. It still has the standard fade that most round edged putters share... maybe a lands a little flater. I've had a habit of throwing it further than I meant to because it has less drag... but, when times when I was able to remember to use that characteristic, I have been able to nail some longer putts with authority. I got this classic Log in late February, so I figure I've thrown it about 300 times. So, you can see some of the dents and marks on it... but it is still in pretty excellent shape and looks nice.

Next up is the Fly Log. I just got this disc a week ago, so I don't have much time with it, but I have thrown it in the field where I go about twice a week for some driving practice about 25 times. It is precicely between the Classic Log and the SuperFly Log in every way. It's 2cm tall and has a 21cm diameter. It weighs 176g. The lower half of the disc is identical to my SuperFly Log, but the top has a slightly smaller upward bevel. It is a very flat flying, stable putter with medium fade that is predictable. It, like the other Logs, flies a little faster and longer than a traditional putter.

The Classic Harvest is 1.9cm tall and 21.1cm diameter. It weighs 172g. It is a slightly understable, very straight flying midrange with a modest and very predictable fade. It is great for holding its line. You will generally throw this just a little faster than something like a buzzz as, unlike many popular mids, it has a normal diameter and relies less on glide. I have found the my Classic Harvest to be something I reach for a lot lately because I can throw it so consistently right now. I was really jazzed when I dunked a 250' shot with it last week for birdie after a disasterous tee into one of Flywood's cousins (a maple tree). It felt like I was guiding it by remote control.

My SuperFly Harvest is 2cm tall and 21cm diameter. It weighs 173g. Just like I've said about the one my friend bought back in January, is just about the perfect midrange disc. Super straigt, super flat and the fade comes in at a very predictable moment and lands flat and smooth. I also just got this one last week, so I've had less time with it... but it flies just like my previous experience with the other SuperFly Harvest (seen on page 3 of this thread). The same comments as the Classic Harvest apply, just that this disc is super stable/flat instead of a little understable like the classic. I like it.

The SuperFly Walking Stick that I have is a discontinued design. It's 2cm tall and 21.2cm diameter. It weighs 169g. After a lot of time playing with it, the owner/woodsmith at Flywood came to the same conclusion that I did, "It wasn't a very good disc for a driver." It was really overstable and when you tried to really wing it fast and with some anhyzer (to try to get an "s" flight), the leading edge would turn up to meet the air and it would really slow down prematurely... with a very edge-down fade. That said, it's definetely NOT useless. I've found several holes in town where I like to use it for shots where I want an almost 90° turn. If you don't try to fight the discs desired flight, it can make some really tight turns without a ton of height. So, it's not what I would have chosen, but I'm glad I have it.

My Fly Walking Stick is of the brand new design and is nothing at all like its predecessor at all. It is 1.75cm tall and 21cm diameter. It weighs 163g. This disc is a very stable driver with a small, last moment fade. I also just got this wood a week ago, but I have been throwing it a lot since then and feel like I have a good feeling for what it is like. It has a very slow right hand turn (assuming RHBH throw) when you really whip it, but nothing that would really classify it as "understable". It is very forgiving of OAT and seems to let me get away with a good deal of slop. I am finding it a very easy disc to get clean forehand shots on as well. My easiest comparison would be to say its flight reminds me of a longer, faster Star TeeBird.

Finally, I placed an order for a custom design and received it in late February, along with my Classic Log and Classic Harvest. I sent the below profile drawing to Flywood to work from. He mostly got it just about right, but ended up having to make a 10.5cm flat spot on top, but was still 2.1cm tall. He made several attempts to get it exactly the same as the drawing, but couldn't get the fully rounded top... so, he asked me if I wanted to buy it or cancel it, since he couldn't get it just right. I decided to buy it and my friend got one also. My design didn't quite fly like I'd hoped. Mostly it's me though... I'm not really very good with the really wide rimmed, high speed drivers like the Ape, Boss and Katana. It actually does remind me very much of a heavy Katana's flight: overstable and a smooth arc. So, I can't get the distance out of it, but when I need something really overstable, it's there. With this disc, as well as the Fly Walking Stick above, the thinner leading edge and impacts was an initial concern. I hadn't had any issues of greater than normal damage to the discs when hitting trees or baskets at high speeds, but those had thicker, rounder edges... how would the .45cm leading edge stand up the way my others have been? Fortunately, the answer was "Yes". In fact, these have done better against the hardwood trees like Oak and Maple than a DX plastic would.

So, after almost 5 months of throwing wood at every game I've played, I can say that any worries that these wouldn't hold up, would warp, split, splinter or otherwise be weak have been dissolved. The only thing that they just don't play well with is jagged rocks... but what does. It's not that the rocks are pushing deeper into the wood, just that the sharp, rough surfaces sort of file/sand away at them a little more than they do plastic. I like to add that Flywood floats on water, rightside up or upside down.

At one point, back when I first got these, I was using the BooBee wax that Flywood sells cheap to keep a "tacky", "grippy" coat on these discs. I don't use it anymore. I just really like how the plain, smooth finish feels and the wax got dirty faster. I suppose that would just be a matter of taste.

I don't know what else to say at this point except that I will continue to add profile drawings as I have time. I'll be happy to answer any questions and will keep updating this thread when I get new wood.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby jeffthrow6892 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:52 am

Uhh........Stubborn Puppet........do you own stock in this Flywood company or something??? :roll: I.....I...just don't get it.......
jeffthrow6892
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:21 am

Um, No. I just get a lot of questions about it, I like the discs and I thought folks might be interested to know more since Flywood doesn't do a very good job of explaining their discs on their website. So, I'm just trying to be helpful and I do hope that the company is successful so I can keep buying these forever.
I know it's a long ass post, but I've been working on it for a couple of months now... just didn't have time to finish it up until last night. I'm a graphic designer, so I always go all the way on images.

I'd be happy to let anyone try them out, just send me a message and we can meet up.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:17 pm

In case anyone is interested, I decided to buy four Flywood discs just for the purpose of selling to folks around town. I am also willing to take orders and fulfill them for you, if I don't have what you want and you don't want to mess with ordering them online. I'll be selling them for the same price as the Flywood online store, $30

I should have them in a week, so if you'd like to buy them or just see them, just hit me up with a PM or you can catch me every week on Thursday evening at Watson Trail.

Again, I have no affiliation with Flywood, other than being a happy customer. I just like the discs and want the company to be successful.
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Postby Stubborn Puppet on Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:13 am

For anyone who is looking, I've moved the part of this topic that shows the discs I have for sale over to the Marketplace/Trading Post in the Equipment forum.

Thanks
Stubborn Puppet
Ace Poster

Previous

Return to Disc Talk & Equipment Chat